• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Increased numbers on the Fisterra and Muxia routes

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
El Correo Gallego has an article on a substantial increase in numbers on the routes to Fisterra and Muxia this year - both in the albergues and in those asking for a Fisterrana certificate. In line with the increased numbers recorded receiving Compostelas from the Santiago pilgrim office. The article notes that about 75% of these pilgrims are foreigners.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Noticed this last September. Seemed to be busier than '19. Lots of pent up demand from the plague years

Get ready for the September is full threads to come this year.

Nice to see more people heading for the coast

El Correo Gallego has an article on a substantial increase in numbers on the routes to Fisterra and Muxia this year - both in the albergues and in those asking for a Fisterrana certificate. In line with the increased numbers recorded receiving Compostelas from the Santiago pilgrim office. The article notes that about 75% of these pilgrims are foreigners.

" entregaron ata o pasado 7 de xullo (July) un total de 7245 Fisterranas" Obviously, must be xuño (June).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just got back from Fisterra/Muxia, and it seemed to be well walked. I've nothing to base that on other than my own observations, but I saw a lot more pilgrims than I expected, and others said the same!

Same @OnCamino . I was there 2 weeks ago. (my first time on that route)
I was surprised how busy it was, with quite a few ONLY walking Santiago - Fisterrra/Muxia.

If it wasn't before, it's certainly being recognised as a route in its own right, not just an 'add on' once you reach Santiago.

And what a great route it is, too.

Following this with interest- I walked 17-21 April this year and probably given the timing and my start days I found it quieter than the previous two times I walked ( April 2017, September 2021). There were probably only about 10 people in my “ hour” - ie those who I passed every 15-20 mins or who passed me and those I saw in coffee shops. I am sure there were 100 more at their own pace. I also walked the way from Santiago each time as I love this route as a wonderful few days any time I find myself in Spain and not able to do a longer Camino. I stayed at private pensions or hotels which were all quite quiet. I was the only one at hotel Larry in Cee the night I stayed. But it seems Summer is getting busier each year!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre 20-23 May this year, and found it about the same as May last year, much lighter than July 2021, about the same as May 2019 and Oct 2017. Never any issue getting a bed, even later in the afternoon.

I returned home less than three weeks ago after walking from Muxia back to Santiago. I was quite surprised at the numbers of both walkers and bikers going in both directions on these routes. When I chatted with a few of them, most were planning to do the full circuit from Santiago.

Just got back from Fisterra/Muxia, and it seemed to be well walked. I've nothing to base that on other than my own observations, but I saw a lot more pilgrims than I expected, and others said the same!
Hello! I'm wondering if you obtained another certificate when you arrived at Fisterra. I will be there in early October. Setting out from St. Jean September 1. Thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back