• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Consummate Pilgrim and Guide for the Spirit

esteban9

Greetings all,
I want to make serving pilgrims a focus of the rest of my life's work. I'm investigating the best ways to do so.

In my search for inspiration, I discovered "Peace Pilgrim." This woman walked thousands of miles across the USA for the sole purpose of peace, from 1953-1981. She started walking when social activism was unknown - until she was 73 years old, when an accident deprived us of her deep wisdom. Without money. Without so much as a backpack. Yet she did not want for anything. Quite the contrary, she basked in the joy of freedom and of God. She was the embodiment of ecumenism. I believe that there is no better model of meaningful pilgrimage than she.

You may find out more and obtain books (in over 20 languages) with her teachings at http://www.peacepilgrim.org. There is a magnificent and moving documentary of her at http://www.peacepilgrim.org/htmfiles/sagevideo.htm. Here's a sample:
A PILGRIM IS A WANDERER WITH A PURPOSE. A pilgrimage can be to a place — that's the best known kind — but it can also be for a thing. Mine is for peace, and that is why I am a Peace Pilgrim.

I hope that you find this beautiful woman as inspirational as I, during your pilgrimage on the Camino and in life. I look forward to seeing your comments!
Esteban

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Esteban

Thank you for introducing us to this wonderful peacepilgrem. I stand in humble awe of anyone who has such great trust in God as to be able to set out with nothing.

On the camino I really try to trust in God and am constantly saying "El Senor is me pastor, no me falta nada". But am constantly fearful that I will not get a place to sleep. Roof and floor indoors is sufficient, I am too long in the tooth to sleep in church porches, or so I think!

All my life I have lived by the motto "Pray to God sailor, but row for the shore". So I bring my map and clothes and money and plastic cards. If and when He calls me to leave all behind I hope I will have the courage.

I know full well that on the last few yards of this human camino I'll have to leave all behind. We have a saying here in Ireland. "There are no pockets in a shroud"

Saludos
Lydia

Hi Esteban.

The peace pilgrim has been an inspiration to me for many years and her simplicity and trust continues to be truly humbling to many of her admirers.

A recently become friend of mine mentioned he wanted to walk the camino de santiago trusting fully in "Divine Providence" in these forums awhile ago and unfortunately received quite a lot of negative feedback, resulting in his leaving the forum in some anguish.

It seemed some people assumed he was out to either take advantage of others generosity or they simply didn't really undertand what divine providence truly means. (The thread is here somewhere though i wont paste the link as it is not my desire to focus on the negativity. I mention it only in context to this particular thread)

Like Mother Teresa, the Peace Pilgrim knew that trusting in God didn't guarantee she would get all she WANTED- only that she would Gracefully receive all she NEEDED to 'live' her own pilgrimage.

There is much talk about what the Camino will give us and less talk about what we can give the Camino. The Peace Pilgrim, Mother Terese and others who are truly humble and meek really do 'inherit the earth' as their lives testify.

My friend has indeed trusted in his God and now walks a similar, yet unique pilgrimage to the glory of his God and has found that although his path is not the comfortable one of refuges and fellow 'camino' walkers it is, for him, all he needs.

This is not for all of us - indeed we all have our own pilgrimage through life, be it as a mother, a banker, a chef or whatever life we are living - yet we can learn so much about humbly accepting our own 'camino' from those who truly trust in theirs.

For myself i have learnt that apart from the practicalities of walking the particular camino de santiago that is the focus of this forum such as equipment, where to stay, remedies for tired feet etc, (all of which are invaluable and gratefully received from the wonderful people here who share their experiences with us), the only true pilgrimage is our own.

The common thread that binds us all is our search for something. What seperates us is our individuality and uniqueness and yet this is what really makes us one family.

The Peace Pilgrim discovered that the world was her family with all the wonders and trials that being part of a family entails. She also knew who the Mother and Father of this universal family is and trusted in the Universal Parent fully to supply all Their childrens needs.

The Peace Pilgrim is Home now so let us all be inspired by her 'camino' as we walk our own.

Thank you Esteban for posting this thread.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Lydia, PilgrimChris,
Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

Lydia - I enjoyed your sayings, especially "Pray to God sailor, but row for the shore". The Spanish have a very similar saying - "A Dios rogando y con el mazo dando" (Pray to God, but keep hammering away). Sound advice, methinks. When I was younger, I bicycled for hundreds of miles across the USA and Canada, and I had similar fears of a safe "home" for the night. I think it is an instinctual fear, going back to caveman days...

PilgrimChris - Thank you for sharing the story about your friend who wanted to walk only with "Divine Providence." It is sad but understandable that he/she received so much negative feedback here. I suspect that some were just providing practically-based warnings based on the physical and logistical challenges of the Camino. Others maybe did not provide such constructive feedback.

It is clear from the documentary about Peace Pilgrim that she radiated good will, determination, vitality, confidence, but mainly, a tremendous faith. If you watch the documentary, this was most clearly articulated by Maya Angelou relative to the Confucian saying about "knowing versus doing." She said that PP "knew," so she "did." Others say that they know, but don't do...therefore they do not know. This is the greatest litmus test of "knowing" or, in other words, "faith."

You mention Mother Theresa as another model like PP. I was recently shocked to find out about Mother's crisis of faith, to the extent that she believed that God was not listening to her prayers for the last 50 years of her life (this appears contrary to PP's demeanor). If this is so, how deep must have Mother's faith have been to continue doing her works of charity, even in the face of her perception of isolation from God? Well, that's another topic, beyond the scope of this forum probably.

Both these women inspire us on our journeys. But each was different. So I think you are right in saying that the "the only true pilgrimage is our own." Teachers can point the way, but WE must make our own path.

Health and happiness to you all,
Steve

Our task now is to learn that if we can voyage to the ends of the earth and find ourselves in the aborigine who most differs from ourselves, we will have made a fruitful pilgrimage. That is why pilgrimage is necessary, in some shape or other. Mere sitting at home and meditating on the divine presence is not enough for our time. We have to come to the end of a long journey and see that the stranger we meet there is no other than ourselves – which is the same as saying we find Christ in him.
-- Thomas Merton

Re: Re:The Consummate Pilgrim and Guide for the Spirit

PilgrimChris said:
Hi Esteban.

The peace pilgrim has been an inspiration to me for many years and her simplicity and trust continues to be truly humbling to many of her admirers.

A recently become friend of mine mentioned he wanted to walk the camino de santiago trusting fully in "Divine Providence" in these forums awhile ago and unfortunately received quite a lot of negative feedback, resulting in his leaving the forum in some anguish.

It seemed some people assumed he was out to either take advantage of others generosity or they simply didn't really undertand what divine providence truly means. (The thread is here somewhere though i wont paste the link as it is not my desire to focus on the negativity. I mention it only in context to this particular thread)

Like Mother Teresa, the Peace Pilgrim knew that trusting in God didn't guarantee she would get all she WANTED- only that she would Gracefully receive all she NEEDED to 'live' her own pilgrimage.

There is much talk about what the Camino will give us and less talk about what we can give the Camino. The Peace Pilgrim, Mother Terese and others who are truly humble and meek really do 'inherit the earth' as their lives testify.

My friend has indeed trusted in his God and now walks a similar, yet unique pilgrimage to the glory of his God and has found that although his path is not the comfortable one of refuges and fellow 'camino' walkers it is, for him, all he needs.

This is not for all of us - indeed we all have our own pilgrimage through life, be it as a mother, a banker, a chef or whatever life we are living - yet we can learn so much about humbly accepting our own 'camino' from those who truly trust in theirs.

For myself i have learnt that apart from the practicalities of walking the particular camino de santiago that is the focus of this forum such as equipment, where to stay, remedies for tired feet etc, (all of which are invaluable and gratefully received from the wonderful people here who share their experiences with us), the only true pilgrimage is our own.

The common thread that binds us all is our search for something. What seperates us is our individuality and uniqueness and yet this is what really makes us one family.

The Peace Pilgrim discovered that the world was her family with all the wonders and trials that being part of a family entails. She also knew who the Mother and Father of this universal family is and trusted in the Universal Parent fully to supply all Their childrens needs.

The Peace Pilgrim is Home now so let us all be inspired by her 'camino' as we walk our own.

Thank you Esteban for posting this thread.

Yes PilgChris, your friend found it difficult to deal with the good, wise advice and comment he got here, from pilgrims who knew. And that is what he asked for. He found he couldnt disagree with their advice and couldnt disagree with their wisdom and so went off in silence, unable to face the issue. Yet, overall, the pilgs on this forum, for all the heat and noise sometimes (which we like), do really care, and your friend completely missed that.

You see, he wanted someone else to work in order to pay for his journey. In some societies monks put out the begging bowl and do the same. Which is absolutely fine if all parties agree. But this is another culture, it´s not South East Asia, it´s Western Europe, where we help the needy in other ways, despite our systems´flaws. It was suggested to him that he might work at any old job to pay for his camino, but he wasnt happy about that. He got, not negative comment but practical comment, which proved to be too much. He got tough love, which is honest, and not easy for the giver. Its love without thought of return of love. Falcon told us, without any condemnation, of his experience with one like your friend, who in subtle ways, asked others for assistance or money. And Falcon's right response was the only caring, truly loving and honourable one to make, honourable for both parties, or indeed for any of us.

Which is not to say we should not help others, and many on this forum do, but rather that we should be clear with those who want others to bear the burden of living for them, for their sake if for no other. For, as someone on this forum once said to me when I badly misunderstood something, -"Its OK, you're human". This, if you can see it, is real love, even if we irritate the one who gives that love. Yet, even then, for you to say that those who gave invited comment to your friend didnt really understand the ways of divine providence, is a little bit too much on your part, to be clear. Your dismissive remarks about those who use so called "comfortable refuges" are also..... inappropriate. Do you really know what people on this forum do? Can you say they dont understand the ways of providence? Saying they dont understand implies that you do.

Pilg C, I´ve just been in SDC where the winos on Rua Veula have rucksacs covered with shells and gourds and all the superficial trinkets.They have staffs, but they´re on the street in a pilgrim guise, poor souls that they are. How do we tell the difference between their wants and your friend's wants?- its a question for you.

PilgC, please go out and make a new camino. Reflect. Its good for the soul, as all of us know, absolutely without exception.

Caminando said:
I´ve just been in SDC where the winos on Rua Veula have rucksacs covered with shells and gourds and all the superficial trinkets.They have staffs, but they´re on the street in a pilgrim guise, poor souls that they are. How do we tell the difference between their wants and your friend's wants?

Caminando what you say is true and in Santiago I notice an increase in the handful of rough looking guys with pilgrim accoutrements. But I suspect it was always thus on the routes. New pilgrims must not be put off though and normal precautions when dealing with people should apply. But these people and the very few who walk relying exclusively on the generosity of others present a real challenge to hospitaleros along the routes and sometimes a dilemma for the rest of us. We all have to make judgements about other people and in doing so I for one have to keep in mind the potential for individuals to change and the potential of the Camino for bringing about that change.

I tried to express my dilemma with this issue here:
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... doubt.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

JohnnieWalker said:
Caminando said:
I´ve just been in SDC where the winos on Rua Veula have rucksacs covered with shells and gourds and all the superficial trinkets.They have staffs, but they´re on the street in a pilgrim guise, poor souls that they are. How do we tell the difference between their wants and your friend's wants?

Caminando what you say is true and in Santiago I notice an increase in the handful of rough looking guys with pilgrim accoutrements. But I suspect it was always thus on the routes. New pilgrims must not be put off though and normal precautions when dealing with people should apply. But these people and the very few who walk relying exclusively on the generosity of others present a real challenge to hospitaleros along the routes and sometimes a dilemma for the rest of us. We all have to make judgements about other people and in doing so I for one have to keep in mind the potential for individuals to change and the potential of the Camino for bringing about that change.

I tried to express my dilemma with this issue here:
http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... doubt.html

I fully agree that it was always so and I will also say these are the only rough types I have seen on caminos. I meet more like that every day in cities. The camino is just fine, and safer than many areas of life. Though someone may be on the streets or with drink probs, it does not of course mean they are violent people. There but for etc......

For the hosps it is difficult, as no-one wants to turn away a person. In Gozo there was a guy who walked from Estonia who looked rough and smelled worse and he was a really gentle guy. He was a pilg but looked like a street person. Had boots like a torn melodeon. He´d beeen walking 10 months and was a bit spaced out.

On my first camino in 1990 I remember an English man who was just keeping himself together, and the camino was helping him do it. It was a time of healing for him, and he knew he had been sliding till he started his walk. There but for etc....

I was a little concerned though when the winos were kitted out like pilgs.

Caminando said:
Yes PilgChris, your friend found it difficult to deal with the good, wise advice and comment he got here, from pilgrims who knew. And that is what he asked for.
Nope! He didn't ask for advice at all - he meerly posted his intent and received a lot of information!
Caminando said:
He found he couldnt disagree with their advice and couldnt disagree with their wisdom and so went off in silence, unable to face the issue.
How do you know he found "he couldn't disagree with their advice"? Have you spoken to him? I have and again Caminando you are incorrect! He went off because it was quickly obvious to him that the kind of people he generally encounters in life who are tolerant, understanding and open are (in his opinion) not to be found in these forums. He chose to continue to live his life with people in the "real world" - his words.
Caminando said:
You see, he wanted someone else to work in order to pay for his journey.
Again you are wrong - you assumed THAT, but he made it clear that was not his intent!
Caminando said:
It was suggested to him that he might work at any old job to pay for his camino, but he wasnt happy about that..
Yet again you are wrong Caminando - he was quite prepared to work for his camino - in fact he did mention he had done so on his other pilgrimages.
Caminando said:
He got tough love, which is honest, and not easy for the giver. Its love without thought of return of love.
Love? He got advice, He got called "a vagabond" and very little encouragement, but not Love!
Caminando said:
Falcon told us, without any condemnation, of his experience with one like your friend, who in subtle ways, asked others for assistance or money. And Falcon's right response was the only caring, truly loving and honourable one to make, honourable for both parties, or indeed for any of us.
Falcon shared his own experience and interpretation of meeting someone different to himself. His response was right for him -and it seems - right for you. However my friend has not encountered too many people like you and falcon on his travels and has found the majority of people are like himself -giving, loving and able to give as well as receive gracefully
Caminando said:
Which is not to say we should not help others, and many on this forum do, but rather that we should be clear with those who want others to bear the burden of living for them, for their sake if for no other. For, as someone on this forum once said to me when I badly misunderstood something, -"Its OK, you're human". This, if you can see it, is real love, even if we irritate the one who gives that love. Yet, even then, for you to say that those who gave invited comment to your friend didnt really understand the ways of divine providence, is a little bit too much on your part, to be clear. Your dismissive remarks about those who use so called "comfortable refuges" are also..... inappropriate. Do you really know what people on this forum do? Can you say they dont understand the ways of providence? Saying they dont understand implies that you do.
Caminando I suggest you read the comments you made in the above quote and apply them to my friends intentions.Do you really know my friend or his intentions? Can you say you DO understand the ways of Divine Providence? Saying my friend doesn't implies you do!
Caminando said:
Pilg C, I´ve just been in SDC where the winos on Rua Veula have rucksacs covered with shells and gourds and all the superficial trinkets.They have staffs, but they´re on the street in a pilgrim guise, poor souls that they are. How do we tell the difference between their wants and your friend's wants?- its a question for you.
Caminando - I would treat them the same as i would treat you or anyone - with love and compassion! A "wino" arguably needs our love and support more than those who who have plenty :)
As you rightly said "poor souls that they are"!! Someone famous once said "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Caminando said:
PilgC, please go out and make a new camino. Reflect. Its good for the soul, as all of us know, absolutely without exception.
Right back at ya Caminando :)
I hope you find peace Caminando - you seem unsettled by those with differing views, opinions or way of life to your own. My friend, a wino .. me!

And although i have no problems with you or your views, my friend is no longer on these forums to defend himself so i suggest you private message me if you are interested in his journey - although i have only received 2 emails from him since his departure. If not then please respect my desire not to discuss my friend, his intentions etc in public anymore.

Keep loving and in return you will be loved.
Chris

[quotei suggest you private message me][/quote]

Chris has struck the correct note:

We can get caught up in a topic to the point it loses it's common info thread and becomes a sounding board for our own voice. I am guilty here! When I find my comment is no longer "on topic" I will PM the other member. This has led to a clearer understanding of the other person's position and, in one particular case, the opportunity to meet for an excellent meal and some fine vinotinto.

That there are voices here that may turn an individual away...that is undoubtedly correct and sad.

Ivar has gone a long way toward allowing the Forum to self censor...mostly to the good.

Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back