• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The dreaded plantar fasciitis - just as I’m about to start…

Simperegrina

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023-24, Portugues Central, Invierno 2024
I’ve have been dealing with plantar fasciitis in my right foot for a little while now…and yday it decided to treat with me with a double whammy to my left foot too. My plan had been to carry my full pack from day 1 and stay 80/20 albergues/hostels. Now I‘m thinking to ease in with pack transfer SJPP-Orisson-Albergue Roncesvalles-Zubiri days 1-3, then see how the PF treats me carrying my pack Zubiri-Pamplona, given the kinder route profile. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not sure whether carrying the pack is a big problem. I have had Plantar twice. The first time on my first Camino it developed in the last couple of weeks and fixed itself after I finished without treatment. I had walked from Malaga to Fisterra.

The second time was a few years later when I was at home, not carrying anything except lard. I consulted my GP who gave me some exercises and again it cleared up quite quickly.

Go see your GP or Physio.

Not sure whether carrying the pack is a big problem. I have had Plantar twice. The first time on my first Camino it developed in the last couple of weeks and fixed itself after I finished without treatment. I had walked from Malaga to Fisterra.

The second time was a few years later when I was at home, not carrying anything except lard. I consulted my GP who gave me some exercises and again it cleared up quite quickly.

Go see your GP or Physio.
I saw my guy last week re the right foot.

might just require the usual management - stretching, massage with a ball, ankle compression socks at the end of each day’s walk etc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’ve have been dealing with plantar fasciitis in my right foot for a little while now…and yday it decided to treat with me with a double whammy to my left foot too. My plan had been to carry my full pack from day 1 and stay 80/20 albergues/hostels. Now I‘m thinking to ease in with pack transfer SJPP-Orisson-Albergue Roncesvalles-Zubiri days 1-3, then see how the PF treats me carrying my pack Zubiri-Pamplona, given the kinder route profile. Thoughts?
Hello, that sounds like a plan, then see how it feels, and is what I intend doing. I've been given several foot exercises to do and will try and make time to do them in the hope it doesn't get worse. It's lucky white heather, just when you need your feet to be in the best shape. Good luck!
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi - I'm not sure if you are able to access a podiatrist with sound wave treatment? I had the dreaded plantar fasciitis for over a year after long distance running. Middle of the night toilet trips were like walking on Lego! I went to the podiatrist and he had a sound wave machine and the problem was 90% gone in the first treatment. It felt like a miracle!

Always wear shoes, and use KT tape. Stretching calves helps too, esp in the morning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have time, look into getting orthotics. I suffered for over a year with plantar fasciitis. Niether PT, rest, or exercises cleared it up. Just before I left or the Portuguese in May, I got orthotics. I was immediately able to walk further with less pain and by the time I got to Porto, everything was fine. I did have my original inserts, so from Porto to Santiago, I would walk half the way with the original inserts and the other half with orthotics.

I treated PF with a Strassburg sock at night. This was the first thing that worked for me after many months of pain.

I hope you aren’t wearing zero drop shoes! Get professionally fitted for your shoes, get the expensive supplemental insoles, and I would also recommend compression socks. (Of course all the stretches are important too!) I have had scar tissue surgically removed from the plantar fascia on both feet, and sometimes it still acts up. I was lucky to not have any problems on Camino this spring. Good luck to you and buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope you aren’t wearing zero drop shoes! Get professionally fitted for your shoes, get the expensive supplemental insoles, and I would also recommend compression socks. (Of course all the stretches are important too!) I have had scar tissue surgically removed from the plantar fascia on both feet, and sometimes it still acts up. I was lucky to not have any problems on Camino this spring. Good luck to you and buen camino!
thank you

My thanks to everyone for Advice and tips

looking forward to the start of my Camino this weekend

Especially not if you are not used to zero drop shoes. "Barefoot" & "zero drop" shoes takes time to get used to. After I switched to barefoot shoes, it took 3-4 months adjusting - even longer adjusting to longer hikes/walks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My plantar fascitis did the same after day 4 - forwarded on my back pack and treated the injury - happily finishing in Santiago tomorrow

I developed PF over 10 years ago and finally got the problem fixed with some custom made orthotics that work beautifully. In my opinion, there is no shame in pack transfer. I did it the entire 500 miles of the CF. Do what's right for you and don't let other dissuade you.

One thing I found helpful in dealing with PF on long through hikes is to take along a tube of Diclofenac Gel and treat my feet with it every night. It is readily available OTC in Spanish pharmacies. Also available OTC in Spanish pharmacies is Ibuprofen Gel, which I find works better then Diclofenac Gel but repeated use can cause flaking and drying of the skin, so I alternated days of use while on the Camino.

Another very helpful treatment is to sleep with PF night splints. They are very effective but you need to find ones light enough to pack. My favorites are Futuro brand but Ace also makes a similar style.

Another very helpful treatment is to sleep with PF night splints. They are very effective but you need to find ones light enough to pack. My favorites are Futuro brand but Ace also makes a similar style.
As soon as I started wearing a night splint, it finally started improving. I also got a massage-gun recently, which also seems to be helping. I've had PF for nine months now.

@Simperegrino , I wish you well and a buen camino, but you might consider doing some 20 km test hikes to see how you're actually going to feel at the end of the day…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I developed PF over 10 years ago and finally got the problem fixed with some custom made orthotics that work beautifully.
By the way, what did they do special with the custom orthotics that were aimed at the plantar fasciitis? I should've asked last time, I'm actually getting some new orthotics tomorrow. Hopefully, the orthotist will know!

Kuru shoes, saved me.

By the way, what did they do special with the custom orthotics that were aimed at the plantar fasciitis? I should've asked last time, I'm actually getting some new orthotics tomorrow. Hopefully, the orthotist will know!
I sent you a private message response. Here it is for the group to see, as it may help others with PF.

Happy to give any PF advice that I can. I suffered with it for years before finally ridding myself of it with custom orthotics.

The key to success for me was finding the right podiatrist that was skilled at making casts of your feet to mold the orthotics. The first doc I went to was not good at it and the expensive orthotics she made for me went into the trash. That was about 14 years ago (2009) when I was still into long distance running.

Fast forward a few years to about 2012. I gave up running and took up long distance hiking. I was hiking the 850 mile El Camino Real (California Mission Trail). I started experimenting with different OTC orthotics and found several that gave better relief but still not hitting the bullseye. I developed numerous strategies along the hike to deal with the pain. That included daily application of either Voltaren Gel or Ibuprofen gel (avoidable OTC in the EU and Canada), as well as ice packs, and wearing of night splints. That strategy got me through the hiking but it was not a cure.

Finally, somewhere around 2014, I got a referral to a different podiatrist and this guy was truly gifted at the art of making casts for the foot molds. The first pair he maid for me pretty much hit the nail on the head and after just 1 month of using the orthotics I was pretty much rid of PF. After 3 months, it was completely gone and has not returned. I still use that old pair of orthotics and have had them refurbished twice. The soft cushioning wears out with time/use but the hard main orthotic is virtually indestructible.

My insurance covers new orthotics every 3 years, so I went back in somewhere around 2017/18 and had him recast my feet and asked him to take the arch down just a little and that's the pair I wore on the Camino and am currently wearing as I complete the Mission Trail for a second time. They are perfect!

It is important to also assess/adjust your shoe size to accommodate the orthotics. They tend to lift your heel and mid foot up a bit, so I needed to size up on shoes to give them room. I also need more room in the toe box for my wide feet, so sizing up also fixed that problem as well. I measure a size 9.5 shoe but wear size 11 hiking boots (mid ankle) I use extra cushioning (air pillow inserts) to take up the slack.

Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I sent you a private message response. Here it is for the group to see, as it may help others with PF.

Happy to give any PF advice that I can. I suffered with it for years before finally ridding myself of it with custom orthotics.

The key to success for me was finding the right podiatrist that was skilled at making casts of your feet to mold the orthotics. The first doc I went to was not good at it and the expensive orthotics she made for me went into the trash. That was about 14 years ago (2009) when I was still into long distance running.

Fast forward a few years to about 2012. I gave up running and took up long distance hiking. I was hiking the 850 mile El Camino Real (California Mission Trail). I started experimenting with different OTC orthotics and found several that gave better relief but still not hitting the bullseye. I developed numerous strategies along the hike to deal with the pain. That included daily application of either Voltaren Gel or Ibuprofen gel (avoidable OTC in the EU and Canada), as well as ice packs, and wearing of night splints. That strategy got me through the hiking but it was not a cure.

Finally, somewhere around 2014, I got a referral to a different podiatrist and this guy was truly gifted at the art of making casts for the foot molds. The first pair he maid for me pretty much hit the nail on the head and after just 1 month of using the orthotics I was pretty much rid of PF. After 3 months, it was completely gone and has not returned. I still use that old pair of orthotics and have had them refurbished twice. The soft cushioning wears out with time/use but the hard main orthotic is virtually indestructible.

My insurance covers new orthotics every 3 years, so I went back in somewhere around 2017/18 and had him recast my feet and asked him to take the arch down just a little and that's the pair I wore on the Camino and am currently wearing as I complete the Mission Trail for a second time. They are perfect!

It is important to also assess/adjust your shoe size to accommodate the orthotics. They tend to lift your heel and mid foot up a bit, so I needed to size up on shoes to give them room. I also need more room in the toe box for my wide feet, so sizing up also fixed that problem as well. I measure a size 9.5 shoe but wear size 11 hiking boots (mid ankle) I use extra cushioning (air pillow inserts) to take up the slack.

Hope this helps! Buen Camino!
Thanks for getting back to me. As you said, I think the most important thing is the skill of the orthotic maker. As we speak, I'm waiting for a new set. I've tried several of them, and this person certainly seemed like the most knowledgeable. Fingers crossed.

And I also size up my shoes about a size and a half because that seems to be what I need to be comfortable with the orthotics.

I've had a real breakthrough with my PF by using a night splint and a massage-gun. Way better. The orthotist feels confident that he can help me with my metatarsalgia. My hopes are high because I'm planning on doing a Camino next year. I'd rather not crawl. But I will!

Btw a belated update on this…

My podiatrist gave me a pair of off the shelf orthortic inserts before I left - worked out well in my Scarpa GTX shoes.

The PF that has been worrying me before I left, was simply not an issue on the trail! Now whether it’s because the odd blister acted as a distraction, who can say :)

I stretched (er…whenever I remembered)…and I did use ankle compression socks in the evenings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My podiatrist gave me a pair of off the shelf orthortic inserts before I left - worked out well in my Scarpa GTX shoes.

The PF that has been worrying me before I left, was simply not an issue on the trail! Now whether it’s because the odd blister acted as a distraction, who can say :)

I stretched (er…whenever I remembered)…and I did use ankle compression socks in the evenings.
That’s fantastic news! I started to have some PF after my training walks that sent me into a panic. I started stretching and not going barefoot which helped a lot but I was still convinced by all the sad stories on the forum that it could not be fixed that easily so I went to a podiatrist. He gave me a little explainer on foot issues, shoes, etc. that was very helpful. He recommended orthotics but not in an urgent way so I decided to wait and see. I used the hard bumpy ball he gave me before and after my training walks, did the stretches, and didn’t have any more problems. On Camino I rolled my feet with the ball whenever I needed a foot refresh, more and more as the days rolled on but I never woke up with sore feet. So to others, PF can be beaten!

That’s fantastic news! I started to have some PF after my training walks that sent me into a panic. I started stretching and not going barefoot which helped a lot but I was still convinced by all the sad stories on the forum that it could not be fixed that easily so I went to a podiatrist. He gave me a little explainer on foot issues, shoes, etc. that was very helpful. He recommended orthotics but not in an urgent way so I decided to wait and see. I used the hard bumpy ball he gave me before and after my training walks, did the stretches, and didn’t have any more problems. On Camino I rolled my feet with the ball whenever I needed a foot refresh, more and more as the days rolled on but I never woke up with sore feet. So to others, PF can be beaten!
oh yes, I forgot about the tennis ball I took with me for rolling. I showed more than 1 or 2 others its use…

Yeah, same here with my first Mission Hike. I wore them virtually every night starting about half way through and they really helped. Not a cure, but very helpful.
Did you have a night splint that you could carry in your backpack, or were you returning home?

And I did finally get some new custom orthotics. They're much more robust (and expensive) than orthotics I've had previously. But it was the first time in a long time I could wear normal shoes, instead of the super padded HOKAS I have been wearing for the last two years.

They're not perfect but it's only been a couple of weeks and the orthotist said he make as many adjustments as I need it until we solve some of these problems.

Great to hear it was OK. I'm gearing up to do a Camino next spring and hopefully the PF will be a non-issue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did you have a night splint that you could carry in your backpack, or were you returning home?
I wore them every night while hiking. I used the Futuro brand. They were relatively lightweight and easy to pack. I don't use or need them anymore now that I have custom orthotics that work well.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back