• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Path just before Maneru

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Hi All - I am curious about something I found today in Brierley's maps - the little light green "dots" off-camino just before Maneru (see the black arrow in the lower part of the pic). Does anyone here know what it it is and where it begins and ends? Does it go past the monastary?
Please ignore the arrow in the upper half of the pic. Thanks!
map.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my 2012 and 2022 editions of Brierley's, on pg 76, see at the bottom of the 0.0km Puenta la Reina section (bottom quarter of the page) it mentions the 13th (XIII) C site of the Monasterio de Bogota... Also in the map there is the small "pyramid" of purple dots and mentions ruinas. I don't know what it is - guess I'll try to find more info -- Thanks for bringing it up - I'd missed it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The green dot/lines indicate a “natural path” or senda, as indicated in the map legend section in Brierley’s introduction. Thanks for pointing it out, as I’ll be walking there next month. I missed it last time!

Hi All - I am curious about something I found today in Brierley's maps - the little light green "dots" off-camino just before Maneru (see the black arrow in the lower part of the pic). Does anyone here know what it it is and where it begins and ends? Does it go past the monastary?
Please ignore the arrow in the upper half of the pic. Thanks!
View attachment 166778
The path shows up clearly on Google maps.
IMG_3228.jpeg

Yes I took this path I've just realised, and actually turned off earlier (there must have been a yellow arrow). Beautiful walk up through some woods (with frogs) off the main trail and totally ignored by most others.
1711530502360.pngCamino-137.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I took this path through serendipity. Other peregrinos were sitting on the way marker, so I missed the upper part, which must have indicated the main route, and saw only the bottom part, with the arrow pointing to the detour. That day was very hot, +95F, with high humidity and the senda leads through tight, dense forest and was muddy underfoot, and very lonely. It does go by the ruins. It felt like a true adventure.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 46
How cool! I'll be looking for the turn-off. Any idea how much distance this path adds to the stage? It doesnt look like much, but looks can be deceiving.

I don't think it adds much real distance, but it is much more rustic and difficult underfoot--it was a true trail; at times, it was a real scramble and I sank deep into the mud in a couple of places. The ruins of the Monasterio Bogota looked pretty much like a pile of rubble to me, but I didn't go closer to really check it out. Honestly, in retrospect, with the heat, humidity, the closeness of the forest along that detour, and the climbs still ahead to Ciraqui and Lorca, I now regard this as the most difficult day of my entire Camino. For what it's worth, my Fitbit registered more than 40,000 steps, which would be about 17 miles for me, and the regular route is supposed to be only about 14 m. However, I suspect that the extra steps were due more to me taking smaller steps (or slipping/sliding backwards in the mud on that detour!), than a significant increase in actual distance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had no such problems with mud, the path was perfectly fine. For me it was a very easy and welcome detour off the beaten trail, a single file track for the first part (if taking first exit on to it as in my photo) and then it joins the much wider vehicle track after probably 10 - 15 mins. If anything it is shorter than the main route, and if your weather is fine then I would recommend it and you shouldn't have a problem.

If the weather has been, or is very wet as it was for @Shells then maybe avoid.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back