• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Pilgrim Mass at Santiago de Compostela Cathedral

IzzyFerrari

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
Hello fellow pilgrims. I am a brand new member to this forum and am currently planning my pilgrimage for June 2017. We are currently working on planning the last two days of our time in Santiago and would like to attend the Pilgrim's mass. For those who have attended, is it true that they call out your name during mass. If so, do you hear your full name? I look forward to hearing your responses.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've attended the pilgrim masses a number of times and have never heard anyone's name mentioned. They will sometimes refer to the numbers of pilgrims from particular countries, and will often mention how many start out from a particular point (e.g., 8 from Estella, 23 from Lugo, etc). Remember that there can be hundreds arriving on a particular day and reading out their names could take a chunk of time.

No names. Nationality, starting point, and numbers are announced. It was before the noon mass yesterday. There is on the altar, so the 1930 mass was in the chapel off the main apse. I do not know how long the repairs will be going on. They simply announced for all waiting pilgrims to change rooms!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great to know. We would like to take the day trip to Finesterre and it leaves Santiago around 9am and returns around 7pm and didn't want to miss our names being called. Knowing this, we can attend any one of the pilgrim's mass' during the 2 days we are in Santiago. Thank you for answering my question so quickly :)

No names. Nationality, starting point, and numbers are announced. It was before the noon mass yesterday. There is on the altar, so the 1930 mass was in the chapel off the main apse. I do not know how long the repairs will be going on. They simply announced for all waiting pilgrims to change rooms!

Idem when I attented today.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great to know. We would like to take the day trip to Finesterre and it leaves Santiago around 9am and returns around 7pm and didn't want to miss our names being called. Knowing this, we can attend any one of the pilgrim's mass' during the 2 days we are in Santiago. Thank you for answering my question so quickly :)

No I don't think that's the case: I think the pilgrims summaries are only read out once at noon mass, they are a list of those people who registered for their Compostela in the previous 24 hours. Last time I was there I only went to the evening mass and I don't recall anyone's details being read out. So that would mean you have to attend a specific noon mass. Can anyone confirm this?

Depending on your nationality and starting point, you may have no 'proof' of being included, so for example, the priest might say 'From St Jean: 48 Americans, 27 French, 9 Koreans and one from Uzbekistan', so if you come from a well represented nation, and start somewhere popular, you are bunched together. Only the Uzbek guy is really sure he has been 'mentioned'.

But it isn't really the reading out of individual names that's the important thing. The lists provide a sense of the diversity and achievement that add up to what's being celebrated. All the pilgrims are prayed for and receive a blessing.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.