• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Camino del Norte from Aviles?

katja

Hi all
A lot of people seem to be walking the first half of the northern route but does anyone have any tips on the second half? I'm about to start walking from Aviles and I only have the Confraternity of St James guide book which can be quite confusing. Mundicamino is very useful but are there any other websites or guide books I should be aware of?
Many thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kate,

I am a day behind you, leaving Gijon tomorrow and arriving in Aviles tomorrow afternoon. I too am a bit bewildered. The one site I found gave the etappa as Aviles to Soto de Luina (38 K) that is a bit much for me. Am looking for a halfway point. you can email me directly at bob.bussen AT gmail.com

Hi i did this stretch in mid july, there is a tourist alburgue in Esteban de Pravia which is about 23.5 km from aviles, im not sure of the address, but a few people who stayed in Aviles and Soto de Luina at the same time as me said it was okay and clean. A lot of the spanish and german people stay there because its in their guides.
I stayed in Muros de Nalon in a tourist apartment(about 20 metres up the road from the supermarket which you can see as you get on to the road after coming off the bridge, going up the road, then the dirt track and eventually the main road again), they were 30 euros for a single person if there was two it would have been 20 euros each, and as there was a bunkbed in the front room, you would have been able to get 2 more people in, and probably haggle it down again.
If you do stay in Esteban de pravia its only about 17 km to Soto de Luina, however the potential for getting lost after Cudillero is high because of the new motorway they are building along this section of Austurias and at various parts it cuts right across the camino, i got lost but ended up at very bueatiful beach with a lovely bar cafe next to it(it added about 2km to my day). This crossing doesnt really happen again on the camino untill the section after Luarca on the way to Pinera(most people avoid this by using the provisional route which there are signs for).

The stretch from Soto de luina to Cadavedo is virtually along asphalt(about 22km out of 25km) its along the N632, which hardly anyone uses apart from peregrinos and cyclists. you need to protect the soles of your feet on this day. There is 10 beds in the hostal in cadavedo, i was very lucky and got one, 5 people slept in the kitchen area and another 5 people were taken to other accommodation were there was spaces, and i had the feeling if more people turned up they would have found space for them.Just a footnote to this stretch, is that the old camino used to go up to the top of a place called las Bellotas( i think) which is 720 metres high, its no longer open to the public because the path is overgrown, so thats why everyone is sent down the road. However on the day i did it, 3 young guys from Majorrca went the wrong way and ended up there, they showed the marks on their staffs with which they had to beat the vegetation and quite a few photos of big spiders. But the looks of happiness on their faces from the adventure and the views they had was in strict contrast to us who had walked the road and had the 'easier day' and were nursing various complaints with our feet.
Sorry to go on but i feel like that when i can go on about the camino,i do. It was my first one and hopefully not my last.

mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.