• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To book ahead or go with the flow on the Invierno…

D74

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Baztan, Ingles, Finisterre
Hi,

I wondered if I could pick your collective minds as I know there’s a lot of love on this forum for the Camino Invierno.

I’ve started researching the route and I’ve seen folk talking about phoning or emailing ahead for rooms and getting keys for albergues. Is this something you’d recommend or can you get into town at a decent hour and turn up for a bed? Keen to try a more laissez-faire approach, unless of course that leads to a night sleeping in a bush, then I’m all about the phone calls.

Thinking of going mid/late June this year.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve started researching the route and I’ve seen folk talking about phoning or emailing ahead for rooms and getting keys for albergues. Is this something you’d recommend or can you get into town at a decent hour and turn up for a bed?

Hi, @D74,

You’ve picked a great time to walk the Invierno. The accommodation options have been increasing a lot, which gives you a lot more flexibility in picking your stages than you would have had ten years ago. If you compare the forum guide (in the Resources section) with WisePilgrim’s app, you can see there are at least 5 or 6 more albergues. But there are not so many options that I would always just show up and see what’s available. Sending a WhatsApp message a day or two before (or a phone call if they don’t use it) is the method that I’m most comfortable with.

Some of the places, like the Albergue in Villavieja, specifically ask for advance notice. This place is run by the local government, so if you just show up on a weekend or late in the day after they are closed, you may not be able to get through to anyone. Other places, like Torre Vilariño, are popular with tourists so weekends might be tough to just walk in.

In the bigger places, like Monforte, Chantada, Lalín, maybe Quiroga, you are likely to be able to walk around till you find a place since there are multiple options.

I see you’ve walked the Francés several times, so if that is your baseline, you should be prepared for something totally different — zero to few pilgrims and a few choices for sleeping. Peaceful, beautiful, rural Spain without the hoards, it is wonderful. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, @D74,

You’ve picked a great time to walk the Invierno. The accommodation options have been increasing a lot, which gives you a lot more flexibility in picking your stages than you would have had ten years ago. If you compare the forum guide (in the Resources section) with WisePilgrim’s app, you can see there are at least 5 or 6 more albergues. But there are not so many options that I would always just show up and see what’s available. Sending a WhatsApp message a day or two before (or a phone call if they don’t use it) is the method that I’m most comfortable with.

Some of the places, like the Albergue in Villavieja, specifically ask for advance notice. This place is run by the local government, so if you just show up on a weekend or late in the day after they are closed, you may not be able to get through to anyone. Other places, like Torre Vilariño, are popular with tourists so weekends might be tough to just walk in.

In the bigger places, like Monforte, Chantada, Lalín, maybe Quiroga, you are likely to be able to walk around till you find a place since there are multiple options.

I see you’ve walked the Francés several times, so if that is your baseline, you should be prepared for something totally different — zero to few pilgrims and a few choices for sleeping. Peaceful, beautiful, rural Spain without the hoards, it is wonderful. Buen camino, Laurie
This is so helpful, thank you.

After getting a frances top up I fancy trying a route less traveled and more remote.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cherry season!
In 2019 at the same time of year I only booked ahead once; the rest of the time I just showed up with no problem at all. But times have changed. There may be more pilgrim traffic, given there's a Brierley guide now. There certainly feels like ghere's more buzz about it here. So...what Laurie said 👆
It is a glorious camino!

In 2019 at the same time of year I only booked ahead once
Wow, I didn’t know that. I think that if it was no problem in 2019, it’s probably not going to be a problem in 2022. Except for the albergue in Villavieja perhaps.

Thinking back over the several times I have walked the Invierno, I have walked without reservations into Médulas, Barco, A Rúa, Quiroga, Chantada, Pobra de Brollón, and Monforte. Just not all on the same camino, so I guess I should have thought more carefully before posting. ;)

Where was the one place you reserved, @VN?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I decided to book ahead before I began the Invierno (June 2019) just because I felt like this was a camino that I'd like the security of knowing there was a bed waiting and where it was at the end of the day. That being said... it did seem like every place I stayed (except Complejo Agoga in Las Medulas) wasn't full. As mentioned though, the Brierley guide could be a game changer. You'll be walking at a great time @D74 ! As @peregrina2000 said "Peaceful, beautiful, rural Spain without the hoards, it is wonderful." and @VNwalking "Cherry season!" :)

Thanks for getting back to me regarding booking or not. Think maybe a bit of both will probably be a good option. You’ve certainly got me enthused about the route.

What are some of your fav bits of the Invierno? I’m guessing the cherries might be one :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back