• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about accommodation (donativo cost) along Camino Frances

EvieC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2014
Camino Frances - 2023
Hi there, I am leaving from St Jean-Pied-de-Port on 14th September...my second Camino Frances.....just wondering, please, what the suggested accommodation cost for the donativos is.. I can't fully remember from my first Camino, which was in 2014. Thank you! Evie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No one should tell you what a suggested donation would be. At the HosVol-staffed donativo albergues were we volunteer we are strictly forbidden from suggesting a price.

In general, it is what your heart and your will pocketbook allow. Some people have very little or nothing to give. Others can afford to be more generous. I would consider what I have been paying for a bed in other albergues along the way that have an identified charge. If supper or breakfast is also part of the stay, then I would consider what I pay for supper or breakfast most days and add that to the bed cost.

We never watch what a pilgrim gives (or sometimes can't afford to give) because we want to treat everyone with the same respect and dignity and not be influenced by their ability to pay. Thank you for asking about this on the forum.

Hi there, I am leaving from St Jean-Pied-de-Port on 14th September...my second Camino Frances.....just wondering, please, what the suggested accommodation cost for the donativos is.. I can't fully remember from my first Camino, which was in 2014. Thank you! Evie
The “suggested” donativo is whatever you can afford to pay. If you can afford to pay the going rate for a private commercial Albergue, €15-20, pay that. If there is a communal dinner, and you can afford to, pay the same as you would for a Menu Peregrino in a restaurant, €10-15. If there is a breakfast of say coffee, yesterday’s bread, perhaps some jam or spread, maybe another €1 or €2.
If that is what you can afford. If you have limited means pay what you can or nothing at all if you have nothing to spare.

I’ll repeat, not just for you but for anyone else wondering “how much is a Donativo?”, it is however much you can afford: €1, €10, €50, and, whatever you put in the box; never look back

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The “suggested” donativo is whatever you can afford to pay. If you can afford to pay the going rate for a private commercial Albergue, €15-20, pay that. If there is a communal dinner, and you can afford to, pay the same as you would for a Menu Peregrino in a restaurant, €10-15. If there is a breakfast of say coffee, yesterday’s bread, perhaps some jam or spread, maybe another €1 or €2.
If that is what you can afford. If you have limited means pay what you can or nothing at all if you have nothing to spare.

I’ll repeat, not just for you but for anyone else wondering “how much is a Donativo?”, it is however much you can afford: €1, €10, €50, and, whatever you put in the box; never look back
Thank you so much!! Makes me feel a lot more comfortable setting out!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always suggest paying according to, not what you receive, but what you would like tomorrow's pilgrims to receive. Because what today's pilgrims pay determines what can be on offer to tomorrow's pilgrims. But if you just pay according to what you receive, if yesterday's pilgrims didn't offer much it can lead to a downward spiral.

I’ve rarely stopped in donativos; but when I did I was conscious that I could afford to stay elsewhere, so for a meal, bed and simple breakfast I’d leave €40-50 - and that’s nearly 10 years ago. More if I felt really welcome. Always deposited in an envelope.

Were I unable to afford other accommodation then, clearly, it would be less and if I had nothing then I would have nothing to give, but like the YHA of old would offer to help with cleaning.

I always think of it this way. Whatever I pay tonight will feed the pilgrims tomorrow so I do my best to be generous. Then there are the utilities, hot water, etc. Those all have to be paid. What would I pay for a clean bed and a roof over my head in the USA? HUNDREDS of dollars, not $5 or $10 - I keep that in mind also. Just give it a thought then do what your heart tells you to do.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a note that some donativos are very simple. At some locations you will be sleeping on a mat on the floor. There may be no wifi. There will likely be a volunteer hospitalero. At other places like the newer albergue in Canfranc Pueblo the pilgrim will find a large lounge and a large more private bunk with its own working light and plug. There is a wide range. Some donativos are very small with 20 beds or less and others quite large with many bunks and multiple dorms.

Donativo albergues where we have worked don't accept pack transfer and some may not accept pilgrims unless they are walking and carrying their own packs. You must have a pilgrim credential to stay.

I stayed in a few Donativos on my last Camino, that were spread over 4 Camino Routes.

Just a personal thing, and by no means a suggestion, but I tend to pay a lot more at a Donativo than I would at a those with a 'price'. Because they generally need it.

For example.

I stayed at a very well know Donativo on the VdlP this year. In fact I didn't stay at that particular one, as I had already booked another place nearby, but friends were staying there and I went inside while they checked in, as I wanted to see it. As they checked in I left a donation anyway.

I got a call later from my friends inviting me to the communal dinner. The Hospi noticed I had made a donation, and suggested that I join them for dinner, which I did. There were about 14 of us I think. A great communal meal and company. The meal shall we say was somewhat 'thin' but adequate. Soup, Fries, salad, with a sprinkling of tuna, and a piece of fruit. The company and wine (that another Pilgrim supplied) made the evening a memorable one. And the Hospi, was amazing. I think she spoke at least 4 languages fluently and was a wonderful host.

A few days later, some other friends caught up with us and they too had stayed at the same place a day or two after us. They reported having a wonderful meal. Meat! a nice dessert etc etc. Very different to our meal.

My point being, that generally Donativos have to 'make do' with whatever the Pilgrims donated the day before.

There is a story here that some time ago, the Donativo in Granon on the Frances route, could not provide dinner for those staying, as the previous day, very little had been donated.

So as a guide, many here would say, pay what you would pay at a private Albergue.
Or........whatever you can afford.
Or........be generous if you can, as it will help others.

The choice is yours. That is what makes Donativos so special.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In past years we were told the"average" donation was 3 euros. We were told NOT to count the donations as we'd be discouraged. (Instruction on hospitaleros handling the money varies from albergue to albergue from we don't touch the money to we account for everything).
At an albergue in 2019, we were getting 6 euros. Last year we averaged about 15 euros per day so donations have increased over time. Thank you to all who can be generous and for those who are on a limited budget, please don't feel you must match examples given here. We are there for pilgrims of all budgets with the same hospitality offered. Give what your heart and wallet will allow. No judgments.

This is an extremely interesting and thought provoking thread -thank you OP.
Prior to my first Camino this year I had no experience as a pilgrim. I was a backpacker, paying commercial rates at commercial properties. Think private Albergues.
Like many I researched the camino and came across this forum , and similar excellent posts to the ones above. Posts like #2 from @J Willhaus & #3 from @Tincatinker became my guide to this topic.
I think an additional factor needs to be considered. I believe that sometimes the Donativo is private, and then presumably the donation also supports the Hospitaliers. On the Primitivo, Bodenaya and Casa Pascal come to mind. One new, one in new ownership. Without sufficient (financial) support, both will cease to exist.
At Bodenaya, I encouraged my fellow pilgrims to be generous. One man in the group, who'd already done the Frances, was of the opinion that "€5 was sufficient, it's just like in church, an offering" . He also pointed out that the neighbours had donated the lettuce for the salad , so why should he pay for it? The meal was an excellent soup, fresh bread, a huge mixed salad, cold meat, cheeses, a dessert, and wine ! We'd also had an excellent breakfast, and our hosts were amazing.
I offered the reasoning above, which in his whole time on the Frances, he had not heard. He increased his offering, but not by a lot. He's a rather well off I might add, I got to know him well.
Later, on the trail, the subject came back up again. Somebody else mentioned that in one Donativo they'd had a list of the owners costs on display. At the end, the owner had written something along the lines of
" I love the Camino, and I hope you do to. If you cannot afford to give, please stay, free, in my home with my blessing. If you can, please be generous, so that I, too, can continue to give."

My friend was more generous in the next Donativo. A little education can go a long way.

My 2 cents: the amount of money a donativo needs to welcome pilgrims is not lower than the one required by any other albergue.
Therefore one should give the average price of a dinner + bed + breakfast in standard albergues.
However, many people give less than this amount, either because they think it is cheaper, or because they cannot give it.
My conclusion is that pilgrims who can afford it should leave a greater amount than this average, in order to help the hospitaleros to reach the balance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@EvieC, Buen Ca
This is an extremely interesting and thought provoking thread -thank you OP.
Prior to my first Camino this year I had no experience as a pilgrim. I was a backpacker, paying commercial rates at commercial properties. Think private Albergues.
Like many I researched the camino and came across this forum , and similar excellent posts to the ones above. Posts like #2 from @J Willhaus & #3 from @Tincatinker became my guide to this topic.
I think an additional factor needs to be considered. I believe that sometimes the Donativo is private, and then presumably the donation also supports the Hospitaliers. On the Primitivo, Bodenaya and Casa Pascal come to mind. One new, one in new ownership. Without sufficient (financial) support, both will cease to exist.
At Bodenaya, I encouraged my fellow pilgrims to be generous. One man in the group, who'd already done the Frances, was of the opinion that "€5 was sufficient, it's just like in church, an offering" . He also pointed out that the neighbours had donated the lettuce for the salad , so why should he pay for it? The meal was an excellent soup, fresh bread, a huge mixed salad, cold meat, cheeses, a dessert, and wine ! We'd also had an excellent breakfast, and our hosts were amazing.
I offered the reasoning above, which in his whole time on the Frances, he had not heard. He increased his offering, but not by a lot. He's a rather well off I might add, I got to know him well.
Later, on the trail, the subject came back up again. Somebody else mentioned that in one Donativo they'd had a list of the owners costs on display. At the end, the owner had written something along the lines of
" I love the Camino, and I hope you do to. If you cannot afford to give, please stay, free, in my home with my blessing. If you can, please be generous, so that I, too, can continue to give."

My friend was more generous in the next Donativo. A little education can go a long way.

Thank you so much for your reply...It never ceases to amaze me what kind and incredible people walk El Camino

My 2 cents: the amount of money a donativo needs to welcome pilgrims is not lower than the one required by any other albergue.
Therefore one should give the average price of a dinner + bed + breakfast in standard albergues.
However, many people give less than this amount, either because they think it is cheaper, or because they cannot give it.
My conclusion is that pilgrims who can afford it should leave a greater amount than this average, in order to help the hospitaleros to reach the balance.
Thank you so much for your reply...I agree that we should give according to what we can give.

Just a note that some donativos are very simple. At some locations you will be sleeping on a mat on the floor. There may be no wifi. There will likely be a volunteer hospitalero. At other places like the newer albergue in Canfranc Pueblo the pilgrim will find a large lounge and a large more private bunk with its own working light and plug. There is a wide range. Some donativos are very small with 20 beds or less and others quite large with many bunks and multiple dorms.

Donativo albergues where we have worked don't accept pack transfer and some may not accept pilgrims unless they are walking and carrying their own packs. You must have a pilgrim credential to stay.
Thank you so much, J..yes, I am ready to 'rough it'...starting to unpack some of my packing.. lol...trying to go as light as possible before I go to airport on Tuesday. So excited!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back