• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To take a tent or not to take

Lianna

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning one Oct 23
Hi all… considering doing the Asturias (joining French way) or Camino del Norte.

I am planning to leave in the next week or so (early Oct), and keen to take my time with no limits for when I need to finish.

My pack without camping stuff is at about 7kg and the tent (super light trekking pole tent), sleep mat (thermarest) and basic cooking equipment is only 2kg in total extra.

Add to the experience, enable a slower walk and good insurance policy? OR needless extra weight?

What say you pilgrims?

THANK YOU so much in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would say no as well. One thing I like about the Camino is that I don't need a tent, but if you enjoy sleeping on the ground, then by all means bring one.

I have seen many abandoned tents in the giveaway box at the albergues where I volunteer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I certainly have carried a tent travelling on camino routes through France but for most routes in Spain I wouldn't as there are adequate accommodation options most of the time.

The cool thing about the Norte and camping is the beaches have showers (no soap allowed). Nevertheless, unless it's an economic reason, every perigrino I've ever met here (except for two) ends up shipping it forward to Santiago to save weight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all… considering doing the Asturias (joining French way) or Camino del Norte.

I am planning to leave in the next week or so (early Oct), and keen to take my time with no limits for when I need to finish.

My pack without camping stuff is at about 7kg and the tent (super light trekking pole tent), sleep mat (thermarest) and basic cooking equipment is only 2kg in total extra.

Add to the experience, enable a slower walk and good insurance policy? OR needless extra weight?

What say you pilgrims?

We carried a tent on the Norte (and associated gear) and hardly used it; sent it on from Gijon . There were two nights when I was grateful for it. The first was at Passajes de San Pedro, when we arrived very late in the day and found the albergue full. The second I was grateful retrospectively - we put the tent up in a commercial camping ground where many pilgrims were sharing cabins onsite. Which they later deduced (from the bites that appeared) had bedbugs, confirmed by bedbug reports from others.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We carried a tent on the Norte (and associated gear) and hardly used it; sent it on from Gijon . There were two nights when I was grateful for it. The first was at Passajes de San Pedro, when we arrived very late in the day and found the albergue full. The second I was grateful retrospectively - we put the tent up in a commercial camping ground where many pilgrims were sharing cabins onsite. Which they later deduced (from the bites that appeared) had bedbugs, confirmed by bedbug reports from others.
interesting - out of interest, what time of year were you walking?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The only pilgrim route where I have carried a tent was the Mary/Michael route in England. I used it twice. I have never needed a tent in France, Spain, Portugal or Italy. I have carried a sleeping mat and used it several times on several routes and would carry one again.

I carried a tent from Irun to Gijon and then mailed it home. Never used it. Yes you could camp on some secluded beaches or remote woods but unlikely fresh water or toilets would be nearby. Commercial campgrounds are usually packed almost bumper to bumper with camping trailers. Besides a comfortable bed albergues offer hot showers and camaraderie with fellow pilgrims. Some albergues allow tents on their lawns if they have lawns. I would leave the tent at home and carry more oranges and bananas. Buen Camino

What say you pilgrims?

You probably won’t need it, but if you want the piece of mind…take a bivy. Smaller to pack, lighter and serves the same purpose. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carried a solo tent in 2008 and used it twice. Afterwards I never carried the weight again. I still carry a sleeping pad that only weigh's12 oz.'s which is just a thing I can't seem to drop.
I am planning the VdlP and will carry a light weight emergency bivy.
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.