• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you convince me NOT to take paper copies?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I have always taken a paper copy of my spreadsheet that lists distances, services and accommodations. When I was going to walk the Levante in 2020 I also printed out the walking instructions.
Next year I'll be going (fingers crossed) from Almeria to Muxia. The sections on the Via de la Plata, Frances and after Santiago don't bother me at all. Follow the arrows and/or crowds. It's the Mozarabe and Invierno that have me wanting a paper security blanket - especially as my phone broke on a previous camino. What if that happened again? Would my pieces of paper be sensible insurance or non-essential additional weight?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree entirely with @C clearly and @J Willhaus - a few pieces of paper weigh almost nothing, can be packaged in a way that protects them, and provides a little reassurance. I’m all for leaving the unwanted baggage (literal and metaphorical) behind, but still, this seems very reasonable to me! That’s my two cents worth!

What if that happened again? Would my pieces of paper be sensible insurance or non-essential additional weight?
I'm also torn on this question. I know, for example, that I can email documents to my Kindle account or just save them as PDFs and have access to them whenever and wherever I am. But that said, there is certain comfort in having hardcopies of some things. This includes prescriptions, copies of my passport, drivers licence and the credit cards that I am carrying. I now trust my itinerary to my phone, but might reconsider that next year when I am walking in places that won't always have mobile coverage. This year I relied on apps for all air tickets, all bus tickets and most train tickets.

And I haven't gotten out of the habit of collecting bits of paper along the way like accommodation receipts and tickets for places I have visited. I keep thinking that I will scrapbook these, but never seem to get around to doing that either.

So could I or would I convince you to not take paper. Not completely. Work out what you are prepared to trust to your phone or tablet, but I think that having paper copies of some things is still worthwhile.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have always taken a paper copy of my spreadsheet that lists distances, services and accommodations. When I was going to walk the Levante in 2020 I also printed out the walking instructions.
Next year I'll be going (fingers crossed) from Almeria to Muxia. The sections on the Via de la Plata, Frances and after Santiago don't bother me at all. Follow the arrows and/or crowds. It's the Mozarabe and Invierno that have me wanting a paper security blanket - especially as my phone broke on a previous camino. What if that happened again? Would my pieces of paper be sensible insurance or non-essential additional weight?
I, as far as possible, try to avoid paper nowadays, whether cash or bits of paper for anything else. I store things on ‘OneDrive’ ‘the cloud’ etc. even if you change phone you can easily access. I think you just have to jump in and do it. It’s behavioural. I can be a ‘late adoptor’. It look a while for me to tap to make payment on my phone (no idea why) till I noticed everyone around he me did it.

I travel now largely paperless, apart from passport, even though I have been largely nomadic in recent years with lots of complex travel plans.

Whilst I am not ‘super green’ by an stretch, seeing what I would seem to be unnecessary printing does jar with me. My mum still gets this huge paper statements from her bank!!

It’s just behaviourial I guess. Was in a bar yesterday, my partner tapped to pay bill, was asked if she wanted a receipt, even though the amount deducted pings up on her phone in both € and £. She said yes and I said no!

Last edited:
I think you just have to jump in and do it.
Why?

Information on paper is effortlessly available.
Information on a device requires a functional device, charged batteries, the right light, and the knowledge of at least one app, if not a handful. It's great until it really isn't.

Anything on paper is secure provided you keep it that way.
Anything on a device is only as secure as the app security protocols.

Cash is simple.
Money any other way requires admin.

I could go on and on.
People are entranced with tech, when on many levels it's a pain in the you-know-what, and removes control, privacy, and simplicity. And it's being forced on a lot of us who don't want it - in many realms there's no choice. I will own feeling resentment and doubt I'm alone.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no luddite - I use a map app every day on camino and off with skill, know how to navigate online, and my books, are in Kindle . But it's not all that great except for the people earning big money at the top.

Let the OP have her paper.
Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would my pieces of paper be sensible insurance or non-essential additional weight?
In this instance, sensible insurance. I, like you, had my phone break on a previous Camino. It was the first time I had everything solely on my phone. Fortunately I was able to recover everything. I might add that I had also emailed everything both to myself and to my son as backup including copies of my passport, so worst case with a new phone I could simply have accessed that. However if it had happened while standing in the middle of nowhere it would have been less than ideal!
I wouldn't print out everything however I would definitely have the walking instructions for those more remote areas.
Apart from anything else I prefer to disconnect and not to walk with apps - my phone is there but not on.

@VNwalking , I completely respect your stand, but in this you and I polar opposites. Having worked both for the bank and part-time for a service station that was one of our 100 trial customers I was a very early adopter of eftpos and everything that has followed. I don't even have a printer at home as I hate needlessly printing out copies of things when I can simply back them up elsewhere.
However there is no way in hell I will ever trade my paper books for a Kindle! 😂😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always take paper copies folded over in a gallon sized Ziplock bag. That includes plane, train, and bus tickets, special reservations. Too many times my phone has let me down...I throw them away as I go or use the back side for scratch paper.
Is that to scratch one's backside? :)

Samarkand.

How much paper and how heavy is it?

I am a dinosaur

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Me too … 😉

I use tech but am aware of how often data needs to be backed up with paper copy. And the cloud uses unimaginable amounts of power to sustain it.
So not that eco at all …

@Kiwi-family
Take your paper and have a wonderful walk!

PS Is this the one you’ll be walking solo?
Sorry to see your camino for this year is ‘aborted’ 😕

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have gone from 100% paper copies to about 50/50- I do worry because even though I email everything to myself my husband does not have a phone so if mine is lost or broken we can only access what we need when there is wifi for his tablet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I just walked the Invierno, paperless.

No need for paper on that Camino, the paths are very well marked.

Used Wise Pilgrim Guide successfully without dropping phone. Have a phone case which I tether to my back shoulder straps.

Can’t comment on the Plata.

Regarding the Muxia route, you can’t walk out of sight of another pilgrim. Plus it’s super well marked.

Buen Camino

Security blankets should be on everyones list. I buy guides(it is important to pay authors), then copy important pages with my phone. I can expand the images for details. Laminating(two sided) is another way to bring and protest your security blanket(pages)

Why?

Information on paper is effortlessly available.
Information on a device requires a functional device, charged batteries, the right light, and the knowledge of at least one app, if not a handful. It's great until it really isn't.

Anything on paper is secure provided you keep it that way.
Anything on a device is only as secure as the app security protocols.

Cash is simple.
Money any other way requires admin.

I could go on and on.
People are entranced with tech, when on many levels it's a pain in the you-know-what, and removes control, privacy, and simplicity. And it's being forced on a lot of us who don't want it - in many realms there's no choice. I will own feeling resentment and doubt I'm alone.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no luddite - I use a map app every day on camino and off with skill, know how to navigate online, and my books, are in Kindle . But it's not all that great except for the people earning big money at the top.

Let the OP have her paper.
Thanks.
Here is one example of why I tend to go paperless with copies of my documents. Years ago, before the Internet was widespread, I was advised to take paper copies of my travel documents with me. That way if the originals were stolen, they would be easier to replace. Of course, what happened was that the bag with the paper copies was stolen and the originals on my person were fine. Then someone used the copies to try and apply for a replacement passport. They didn't succeed, but for decades it took me much longer to replace my passport when it expired than it did for anyone else.

Copies on the cloud are much harder to steal and misuse. Of course, that doesn't necessarily apply to paper copies of itineraries, but I thought I would throw that out there for people who receive the same advice I did.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was a “no paper pilgrim” until this year when I had a problem with my phone. There is so much security now that it’s impossible to get to anything on a different device unless you can receiver a text with security number to your phone. My husband tried to get into my iCloud and it was a no go. He called Apple and they were of no help. He tried to log into my gmail (I always email myself a copy of papers) and he couldn’t get into that either with the code being sent to my phone. Things are definitely more secure now than when I started this process and you just log in and get my emails off any device. I will now take a minimal amount of paper just in case.

He tried to log into my gmail (I always email myself a copy of papers) and he couldn’t get into that either with the code being sent to my phone.
Hmm. Precisely why I also email a copy to my son . And write down ( yep, we’re back to paper!!) my son’s email address and his phone number in my notebook … along with the name, number, and address of anywhere I’ve actually booked, plus my flight number , time and date! Once (above) was more than enough to resort to old habits. Cheap insurance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are many arguments both ways but in the end it’s about what meets your individual needs. A few pieces of paper or even a lightweight exercise book weigh very little.
Last Camino I mainly used my phone but ended up with a very thin exercise book in which I recorded places I stayed and expenses- I wanted to know exactly what my costs were. I also had a list of towns and kms which I happily ticked off as I passed through. The rest was on my phone.

PS Is this the one you’ll be walking solo?
Sorry to see your camino for this year is ‘aborted’ 😕
YES!! Yippee (I feel a bit restrained about sharing my excitement at home when no-one else is going away, but here it's OK! BTW it was 2020 that was aborted (thanks COVID) and I have corrected the date on the next one to reflect that it's happening next year, not this!
You can’t beat a piece of paper that you can handle and touch and make notes on!
There is that! And I do love to scribble notes. In fact, that alone might be justification enough for me to stay in the dark ages!
Hi I just walked the Invierno, paperless.

No need for paper on that Camino, the paths are very well marked.
Thank you that is exactly the info I need to prevent me from printing out the guide! Now if someone could tell me the same about the Mozarabe I'd be set with just my little spreadsheet on paper (on which I also record my expenditure like @Rita Flower)

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this question. My spreadsheet will come with me for sure, I'll email copies of important info to my husband who is staying home so that he can access them easily if needed, and I'll probably hope for the best with the Mozarabe (given that the guide runs to over 100 pages!)

YES!! Yippee (I feel a bit restrained about sharing my excitement at home when no-one else is going away, but here it's OK!

Your excitement is infectious! 😄
And your ‘route’ looks wonderful …
All that time for you … 😊

I have a feeling your family will be very happy for you … and that there will be moments when you will miss them walking with you …

Many here will be looking forward to hearing of your adventure, and will enjoy sharing in your anticipation 😉

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you that is exactly the info I need to prevent me from printing out the guide! Now if someone could tell me the same about the Mozarabe I'd be set with just my little spreadsheet on paper (on which I also record my expenditure like @Rita Flower)

I hope you post a bit about your Camino Mozarabe - it’s on my wish list.
Buen Camino

Those who have not lived in the UK might not get this. But

Trying to do everything on your phone is sometimes a bit like wall papering your hallway through the letter box! :rolleyes:

(Note. In most UK houses the letter box is in the front door, not on the street)

Your excitement is infectious! 😄
And your ‘route’ looks wonderful …
All that time for you … 😊

I have a feeling your family will be very happy for you … and that there will be moments when you will miss them walking with you …

Many here will be looking forward to hearing of your adventure, and will enjoy sharing in your anticipation 😉

Buen camino!
Absolutely - my family is so supportive, even - or especially - the Chief Financial Controller, who had initially thought I wanted to go for a month (not the nearly three I have booked)!
My experience doing the Madrid alone leads me to believe I will mostly not miss them - in that when it's hard I won't feel bad that they are having to experience hardship because of my crazy ideas...and when I'm plodding along slowly I won't feel like I'm holding them up (they can all outwalk me now)...I will find it so much easier to stop and draw if that's what I want to do. When I WILL miss them is in the evenings - the kids would talk to other pilgrims and leave me to blog, and they did most of our cooking too!
I am uncertain about what blogging is going to look like this time. I am tentatively thinking of taking the story of this walk and weaving it in with a reflective narrative of our home education journey, so I may not have the energy to create stories every day (besides, I may want to "save" them for my other project anyway!) But I am wondering about throwing up some pictures and statistics and perhaps a poem to remind family and friends at home that I have not disappeared completely.
I am unlikely to be active on the forum while I'm walking, but could pop something up when I return. Would that work @Rita Flower ??

Here's my blog for this walk (and the covid one that didn't happen):

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like paper copies myself.

Absolutely - my family is so supportive, even - or especially - the Chief Financial Controller, who had initially thought I wanted to go for a month (not the nearly three I have booked)!
My experience doing the Madrid alone leads me to believe I will mostly not miss them - in that when it's hard I won't feel bad that they are having to experience hardship because of my crazy ideas...and when I'm plodding along slowly I won't feel like I'm holding them up (they can all outwalk me now)...I will find it so much easier to stop and draw if that's what I want to do. When I WILL miss them is in the evenings - the kids would talk to other pilgrims and leave me to blog, and they did most of our cooking too!
I am uncertain about what blogging is going to look like this time. I am tentatively thinking of taking the story of this walk and weaving it in with a reflective narrative of our home education journey, so I may not have the energy to create stories every day (besides, I may want to "save" them for my other project anyway!) But I am wondering about throwing up some pictures and statistics and perhaps a poem to remind family and friends at home that I have not disappeared completely.
I am unlikely to be active on the forum while I'm walking, but could pop something up when I return. Would that work @Rita Flower ??

Here's my blog for this walk (and the covid one that didn't happen):

On the VDLP last year I did a daily journal on FindPenguins- (no one to talk to so I talked to myself😂) and posted a couple of summaries on the the Forum for the benefit of others. So a summary at the end would work. I am most interested in the challenges of the terrain and if as an over 70 year old female I would be up for it.
Buen Camino

I only ever take paper maps and instructions and have never had a problem yet. I don't have one of those funny walk-around phone things that everyone has attached to their hand, which, I believe, will sometimes let you down.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.