• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tonight BBC Great Continental Railway Journeys - A Coruna to Lisbon

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
On UK BBC 2 tonight at 9pm, Great Railway journeys travels between A Coruna and Lisbon and stops in Santiago to talk to pilgrims. Will be available on iPlayer and I believe maybe repeated later in the week.

BBC Website said:
La Coruna to Lisbon
Great Continental Railway Journeys,Series 3 Episode 4 of 6

Armed with his 1913 Bradshaw, Michael Portillo explores a very different Spain from the one he knows best and ventures across its border with Britain's oldest ally, Portugal.

Beginning in Galicia, Michael discovers the elegant city of La Coruna, a fashionable destination for Edwardian Britons, for whom the principal attraction was the tomb of a British military hero. Michael uncovers the Celtic roots of the Galician people and tries to master the bagpipes but finds himself upstaged by a six-year-old.

On the pilgrims' trail to Santiago de Compostela, Michael meets walkers from all over the world heading for the cathedral, and is led into the archive to see one of the world's first guidebooks, dating from the 12th century.

Aboard the West Galician Railway, Michael hears how a 19th-century British railwayman sought his fortune in Galicia and ended up running the company. A visit to a sardine cannery has Michael scrubbing octopus tentacles, and a taste for the cephalopod sees Michael set sail with local fishermen to see if he can trap one.

Arriving at the ornately tiled Sao Bento station in Porto, he finds out about the birth of Britain's long alliance with the Portuguese. A glass of 1953 port awaits him at the city's Factory House, before he embarks on the Linha da Douro along the spectacular Douro Valley.

At Coimbra, Michael is moved by the mournful strains of the Fado sung by students of the university, then boards the high-speed train to the Portuguese capital Lisbon.

Following in the footsteps of King Edward VII, who visited his cousin King Carlos in 1903, Michael explores the city from the Santa Justa lift to the harbour at Belem. An attempt to make Portugal's national sweetmeat proves challenging, but help is at hand.

At the handsome Palace Square, Michael hears how turbulent events at the time of his guide saw the Portuguese royal family almost wiped out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On UK BBC 2 tonight at 9pm, Great Railway journeys travels between A Coruna and Lisbon and stops in Santiago to talk to pilgrims. Will be available on iPlayer and I believe maybe repeated later in the week.
bummer --- only available to view in UK.
but thanks for alerting me to the docu - might find it later elsewhere. in june i took the train/s from santiago down south to santarem ... would have loved to revisit the ride. - and hope it's a good docu for everyone lucky enough to see it!;)
saluti, C

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of the series has made it onto YouTube, but I think it was the first showing of this particular episode so it isn't there yet. It was quite good; he met a few pilgs on the outskirts of Santiago. Apparently, Michael Portillo walked the last section (I suspect from O Cebreiro) a few years before the programme was made.

There is an episode on a train journey from Granada to Salamanca, which probably doesn't mention the Camino but may be of interest to VDLP pilgrims anyway.

Some of the series has made it onto YouTube, but I think it was the first showing of this particular episode so it isn't there yet. It was quite good; he met a few pilgs on the outskirts of Santiago. Apparently, Michael Portillo walked the last section (I suspect from O Cebreiro) a few years before the programme was made.

There is an episode on a train journey from Granada to Salamanca, which probably doesn't mention the Camino but may be of interest to VDLP pilgrims anyway.
splendid. thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He mentioned that he had walked 11 days when he walked his Camino and I think he is a relatively fit man so Astorga maybe? Who knows? One thing though, I was astonished he is younger than me!!!

He mentioned that he had walked 11 days when he walked his Camino and I think he is a relatively fit man so Astorga maybe? Who knows? One thing though, I was astonished he is younger than me!!!
Yes, I thought he said that, but then he said something like "130kms; just more than the minimum required for a certificate". He seems like the kind of chap who would explore every old building along the way, so maybe that held him up a bit. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I watched the programme on iPlayer first thing this morning from the link here. Loved it so much that I spent the rest of the day watching the other programmes too, lol. One very restful Saturday. Thank you very much for the heads up, Miguel. I don't have TV so I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Cheers. :)

When out last night a friend came up to me and said that I really must watch it (I already had). I have often told him about it and commented thatb he thought that he recognised one of the shots of the Camino from a photo I had shown him. For some time he has commented that he would like to go when he has finished his Doctorate so I guess one day we will evolve him. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back