• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tour de France 2023: will it affect peregrinos?

LenB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
I just found out that the Grand Depart for this year's Tour is in Bilbao and the first three days of the race (July 1-3) pass through the Basque country to enter France. Might this affect accommodations? I would not expect it to impact those walking, as the peloton will pass any given spot in less than a minute. But, it's the largest sporting event in the world, and there could be plenty of people booking rooms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The teams most probably book hotels out of the city centre seeing they need some extra space for all the equipment etc.
In general I would be more concerned finding affordable private rooms on the Norte during high summer due to the holidays. Lots of Spaniards themselves go on yearly vacation to the coastal towns in the North.

The teams most probably book hotels out of the city centre seeing they need some extra space for all the equipment etc.
In general I would be more concerned finding affordable private rooms on the Norte during high summer due to the holidays. Lots of Spaniards themselves go on yearly vacation to the coastal towns in the North.
I guess I was more concerned about the spectators. The teams and supporting cast number about 4,500. The spectators in tens of thousands. While most of those live along or near the route, some people travel from afar to "follow" several stages of the race each year, moving from place to place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was in San Sebastián over the weekend and will be staying in Biarritz for the next 4 days. Both places are full of tourists and I don’t think many of them are there especially for the TdF.

It might well impact when you can walk on roads on the camino. Yes the Peloton will pass any particular spot quickly, but the stage course will be closed for hours the day of any individual stage. When I was in Annecy in 2018, the barricade fences where up in the center of town 24 hours before the stage came through, and crossing the streets was already a pain.

For example, stage 1 outside of Bilbao, will pass down the BI-737 road between Zamudio through Lezama. Acording to Gronze, that stretch is Camino del Norte. That is 2 kms of camino that might be closed to pedestrians on stage race day (July 1). Or the sidewalks might be packed with waiting spectators.

Looking at the stage and camino maps, it looks like at least two potential points where the two routes cross.

BI-737 road between Zamudio through Lezama.
Yes, that stretch will be completely closed from 10:00 h tp 18:00 h, but wont be a problem for pedestrians, unless its packed with spectators. I hope this won't happen in the early hours when the majority of peregrinos walk this section, and the peloton is expected to pass by around 15:00h or so.
People walking this stretch, please walk on the right side of the road. According to the information, the pedestrians should use the pedestrian overpass to cross to Zamudio. This is the only point of crossing open in this stretch. I hope this will be properly marked and also, security personnel are expected to be there. Not sure whether it is possible to take the deviation/alternate path before arriving to Zamudio, as you need to cross the road before reaching the overpass...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.