• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tour Du Mont Blanc TMB

emilyjsteen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais (2015)
Hi All,

I'm wondering if any of you have done the TMB? I'm highly considering walking it this summer and am curious about how social it is compared to the Camino Frances? I'd be a single woman traveling alone and am expecting it to be less social than the Camino, but hopefully still somewhat social. Does anyone have experiences walking this alone?

Thanks in advance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is very social but you must be able to climb 1000 or more meters a day. If you are it is a wonderful hike.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All,

I'm wondering if any of you have done the TMB? I'm highly considering walking it this summer and am curious about how social it is compared to the Camino Frances? I'd be a single woman traveling alone and am expecting it to be less social than the Camino, but hopefully still somewhat social. Does anyone have experiences walking this alone?

Thanks in advance!
Hi emilyjsteen,
I walked half of the TMB eary August last year...Chamonix to Courmayer.... I am going to continue next August . I would recommend the book "Trekking the TMB " by Kev Reynolds....I found it invaluable to have on the walk.... It's a fabulous trek....Yes it's tougher than the Camino ....lots of tough climbing....I found Treking poles invaluable also.....I wouldn't have been able to do without them.....I would advise booking the Refuges before you go....very likely to be full if you arrive with no booking...http://www.autourdumontblanc.com.....can book the Refuges/albergues here...except the Italian ones..you have to contact them personally.... I found the walking much more solitary than the Camino...but the nights in the Huts were just like the Camino....great food and chat.....it's best to book the evening dinner when booking the Hut....I would advise not overestimate the kms you will do in a day.....with the climbs and rough terrain...you will not do the distance you do on the Camino . It's the most spectacular and invigorating adventures I've been on....can't wait to return next August. You will love it. Hope this has been a help. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi Emily,
I was thinking exactly the same. I'm an experienced solo female traveler in my 30s and the social element, or lack of it, is putting me off. Shamefully I only speak English. It seems TMB is mostly accomplished by super fit retirees or married couples...I'm worried about being lonely in the evenings after such a hard slog during the day with little social reward.
Perhaps this is the reason I am a single solo traveller as I am drawn to trips that attract retirees haha....who in my opinion are more interesting... I'm more into chatting than FB
Anyway Emily, did you garner anymore info on the social aspect?

I am just back from my second week on the TMB......the most social walk I ever had .....met people from all over the world.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All,
I am actually just seeing all these posts now. I am back from my trip doing the TMB and it was WONDERFUL! @Sineadmk I would plan to go if you enjoy hiking and mountains, I can't say enough good things about it. The camino frances was way more social, I ended up meeting 3 other solo travelers and walking with them the entire month. I found that it was easy to socialize because it was an easier trek, so on the flatter days of the TMB I found it was more social than when you're climbing up mountain passes. @Bumble my experience was very similar, I tended to hike alone or in small groups during the day on the TMB and meet up with people at night. It's rarely even lonely. I'm willing to chat more about my experiences of both the Camino Frances and the Tour du Mont Blanc if anyone else has any questions. Definitely different trip, but both are worthwile and wonderful it just depends on what you're looking for.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back