• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trabadelo->San Fiz de Seo->La Faba

Liina

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Ponferrada to Santiago) and from Muxia to Finisterre June/July 2015.
Hi again!
It's two days before my plane departs (happy-as-I-can-be!) and I'm planning my walking a little bit around so I could see the ocean also. Got my Brierley book finally and here I came across two walking ways I don't want to miss - scenic route from Villafranca del Bierzo to Trabadelo and in the other side remote route (Dragonte, Villasinde).
I wouldn't trust myself to Dragonte because as little as I have read about it, it doesn't sound easy. But! How about if I start from Trabadelo and turn left to San Fiz de Seo and from there to Villasinde and finally to La Faba - is that doable?
Google maps says that it's about 20 km, but I don't know how hard is the route to Villasinde and from there back to main route.

I love mountains and even though it's just a km, I would love to see and walk it (if my knee approves it).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi again!
It's two days before my plane departs (happy-as-I-can-be!) and I'm planning my walking a little bit around so I could see the ocean also. Got my Brierley book finally and here I came across two walking ways I don't want to miss - scenic route from Villafranca del Bierzo to Trabadelo and in the other side remote route (Dragonte, Villasinde).
I wouldn't trust myself to Dragonte because as little as I have read about it, it doesn't sound easy. But! How about if I start from Trabadelo and turn left to San Fiz de Seo and from there to Villasinde and finally to La Faba - is that doable?
Google maps says that it's about 20 km, but I don't know how hard is the route to Villasinde and from there back to main route.

I love mountains and even though it's just a km, I would love to see and walk it (if my knee approves it).

If you are going to take the high road then perhaps it would be best to take it from Villafranca.

There is nothing scenic about the camino from Villafranca to Trabadelo. The camino is yellow painted road shoulder separated from the old highway by a concrete barrier. It follows the bottom of a steep and narrow valley. The ambiance of the villages recalls the movie 'Deliverance' (okay, well, maybe not). the The new highway passes overhead in a couple of places.

I met someone at O'Cebreiro who had gone the high road. He said it had been a long day. (that may have been because we had snow)

There is nothing scenic about the camino from Villafranca to Trabadelo.

In Brierley's 2015 edition book there shows three ways to get from Villafranca to Trabadelo: on the left there is Dragonte, going straight ahead is the main route and on the right the so-called scenic route with more nature. That last one I'd like to see with my own eye - I've googled some pictures about it and it looks something I wouldn't want to miss.

Did you wrote about the main route - that it goes next to the old highway?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is nothing scenic about the camino from Villafranca to Trabadelo

That may depend on the time of year and weather. We walked that route in mid-May on a warm Spring morning and thought Brierley's description did it a great disservice! There was hardly any traffic on the road, and all the way we walked alongside the river, burbling away to us, with beautiful shady trees overhead and the sun filtering through once it rose over the hills. We found it was a lovely walk, different from the hilly paths ahead but still very enjoyable (at least until my mother fell and hurt her leg, but that's another story! We were grateful for the flat terrain after that of course! )

I'm sure the higher routes are beautiful, but I wouldn't dismiss the valley. It has its own beauty.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In Brierley's 2015 edition book there shows three ways to get from Villafranca to Trabadelo: on the left there is Dragonte, going straight ahead is the main route and on the right the so-called scenic route with more nature. That last one I'd like to see with my own eye - I've googled some pictures about it and it looks something I wouldn't want to miss.

Did you wrote about the main route - that it goes next to the old highway?

Brierley describes it as the alternate road route via N-VI.

After Vega de Valcarce which is west of Trabadelo the route is very pleasant leading up to O Cebreiro; I have walked it 10 times in all types of weather including heavy snow. At Ruitelan the simple Pequeno Potala is a GREAT overnight stop; Carlos and Luis are most gracious hosts. Follow the CV 125/1 to to Las Herrerias, and the CV125/15 to Laguna de Castilla where there is a marked junction with the walking path (left) and biking path (straight). Both arrive at the mythic/mystic village O Cebreiro but the wider biking path is easier and safer to follow in bad weather

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back