• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train station in Madrid

Siouxzy

Time of past OR future Camino
May 16 2016
Hi! I'm flying into Madrid from the US. Does anyone know if it's easy to find the train station from the airport?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, and there are two main stations. Chamartin and Puerta de Atocha. You can get to either one by Cercanias train (runs every half hour) from terminal 4 (approx.2 euro's) or by cab from any terminal for (approx. 30 euro's). I have never taken a bus to either but am sure someone will advise.

Ultreya,
Joe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is very simple to take the Cercanias (light rail) directly from the airport to either main train station. (NOT the Metro)
You will, no doubt, arrive in Terminal 1. Take the free shuttle bus to T4. After entering the door where the shuttle drops you...turn right and take the elevator down. Look for Renfe signs. There is a ticket office to the right. Do not follow the Metro signs.
If you need train tickets or Cercanias tickets you can get them in the little Renfe Office right there.

Go down the stairs and catch the cercanias train to the train station. Charmartin is the second stop, if I remember correctly.
You do not have to transfer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Siouxzy, which one?
You can easily get the metro into town right from the airport and then depending on the station (Chamartin or Atocha) you will have to change to another line going either north or south--there is an easy to follow map here:
https://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planoesquematicoingles.pdf
I guess I'm catching a train from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I get on one going there from the airport? Kinda confusing. Never used rail services before.

If you have not already booked your train, you could also take the bus right from the airport (terminal 4) to Pamplona via Soria, in under 5 hours. Visit the Alsa bus company website (www.alsa.es) to buy your ticket from home. By the way, the Madrid aiport is called Barajas and on websites for the bus it will most likely say Madrid Barajas T4.

Actually that is Madrid Barajas T4! Narajas are oranges. Good to see that predictive texts fouls up just as much in Spanish as English.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Actually that is Madrid Barajas T4! Narajas are oranges. Good to see that predictive texts fouls up just as much in Spanish as English.
I'm sure that was a typo (very common in Anemone posts :) - I think she already gave an explanation to this in one of her posts), because B and N are close on keyboards. Much more so if typing on smart phone.

Also oranges in Spanish are naraNjas ;)

I'm sure that was a typo (very common in Anemone posts :) - I think she already gave an explanation to this in one of her posts), because B and N are close on keyboards. Much more so if typing on smart phone.

Also oranges in Spanish are naraNjas ;)
Thank you KinkyOne. Yes, because I use this tablet in 3 languages I have given up on auto-correct sinc it keeps replacing words that are meant to be there by others. You would think with all this technology they could make these machines at last bilingual. If anuone knows how to teach my Ipad a new language without forgetting the first I am all ears. FYI, the airport is refered to as Barajas because that is the name of the arae where it's located. Also 'barajas' is a deck of playing cards

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess I'm catching a train from Madrid to Pamplona. Can I get on one going there from the airport? Kinda confusing. Never used rail services before.

Siouxzy:

If you are going to Pamplona you will be leaving from the Puerta de Atocha train station. You can not go directly to Pamplona from the airport by train. You have to take the Cercanias train to Puerta de Atocha.

The directions to the Cercanias train, given by Grayland, are perfect. Purchasing your ticket here (RENFE office lower level T4) is a good idea because train stations tend to have lines. You can take a cab directly to Puerta de Atocha, from any terminal for (approx. 30 euros).

You can also take a bus from T4, if you prefer. I like the train because you have room to get up and walk around. They also have a little cafe car.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
I have taken both the train and the bus from Madrid to Pamplona and I much prefer the bus!
You catch the bus right outside Terminal 4 - pay the driver - and see the scenery!
So you see it is a matter of choice.
The buses are beautiful Mercedes buses and the trip is quite comfortable.
There is a toilet on board.

If you plan on catching the cercanius, you can find information on what to expect online.
It's often best to buy your ticket from the many machines, because there is usually only ONE attendant in the tiny office, and I've had the experience of (literally) sitting and waiting 45 minutes while he helped the one customer in front of me, while the last train to make my connection took off. :(

If you decide on the train and you're over 55, you can also purchase a Tarjeta Dorada from the attendant FIRST, which will give you a nice discount on train tickets for a year. But I still find the bus more to my liking. It's quicker and easier, imo.

Siouxzy, if you haven't already booked your plane ticket I would check out the "multi city" (also called open jaw) option and fly into Pamplona and then out of Santiago. I got a tip on the forum several years ago and learned that this option is usually as cheap or even cheaper (and certainly much easier) than changing from plane to train or bus.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Siouxzy:

If you are going to Pamplona you will be leaving from the Puerta de Atocha train station. You can not go direct from airport.

The directions to the Cercanias train, given by Grayland, are perfect. Purchasing your ticket here (RENFE office lower level T4) is a good idea because train stations tend to have lines. You can take a cab directly to Puerta de Atocha, from any terminal for (approx. 30 euros).

You can also take a bus from T4, if you prefer. I like the train because you have room to get up and walk around. They also have a little cafe car.

Ultreya,
Joe
I certainly was able to find tickets from the airport, as the second stop, hence the importance of booking. And anniesantiago comfirms.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back