• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Santiago to St. Jean, Pied de Port?

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Camino de Santiago April/May/June 2016.
Hi, I'm seeking information on transportation from Santiago to St. Jean, Pied de Port? Is there any bus or train to take me back? And if so what is the cost for one way transportation?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You have several options. I'll give you some of them (just some; there are more).

One option:
  • Train from Santiago de Compostela to Pamplona (some days it's direct, some days you have to change in Ourense). www.renfe.com
  • Bus from Pamplona to SJPP (seasonal; check running periods and times at www.alsa.es ).
  • Note: You may need to stay overnight in Pamplona.
Another option:
  • First train in the morning from Santiago de Compostela to Ourense. www.renfe.com
  • Bus from Ourense to Pamplona (bus Company: VIBASA; it seems to be now part of the monbus group but I can't find updated info about the route from Ourense to Pamplona on the web of Monbus... check once on the ground)
  • Bus from Pamplona to SJPP (seasonal; check running periods and times at www.alsa.es )
  • Note: Maybe the only option allowing you to make it on the day without taking planes, taxis or private transport.
Another one:
  • Train from Santiago de Compostela to Hendaye. www.renfe.com
  • Overnight in Hendaye.
  • Train from Hendaye to Bayonne and another one from Bayonne to SJPP. www.sncf.com
Another one:
  • Overnight bus from Santiago de Compostela to San Sebastián (aka Donostia) www.alsa.es
  • Bus from San Sebastián to Bayonne. www.pesa.net
  • Train from Bayonne to SJPP. www.sncf.com

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well done @Castilian. There's a gîte in Hendaye, in the town center a 10 minute walk from the train station.

The Hendaye pilgrim albergue on rue la Fontaine is approximately 3 blocks from the rr station. In season they open at 16:00 and have 12 bunks. See more info here.

Hi @NorwegianWalker, pity that you have to make that return journey! Most people just travel back home from Santiago.

If you're short of time and you don't want an overnight stop, you could also consider flights. For example:

Ryanair from Santiago to Madrid: departs 6.45am, arrives 08.00.
Iberia Madrid to Biarritz: Departs 12.00, arrives 13.05.
Airport bus from Biarritz to Bayonne and train to St. Jean - or minibus taxi with Express Bourricot.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi @NorwegianWalker, pity that you have to make that return journey! Most people just travel back home from Santiago.

If you're short of time and you don't want an overnight stop, you could also consider flights. For example:

Ryanair from Santiago to Madrid: departs 6.45am, arrives 08.00.
Iberia Madrid to Biarritz: Departs 12.00, arrives 13.05.
Airport bus from Biarritz to Bayonne and train to St. Jean - or minibus taxi with Express Bourricot.

Buen Camino

Hi NualaOC, hope you are fine. The reason for my return to St. Jean, Pied de Port would be because of my car, but I have not yet decided wether to leave my car with my family in Toulouse or leave my car in St. Jean, Pied de Port while I'm walking. I probably leave my car with family in Toulouse when I think about it. I will have my car safe with family in Toulouse and I wouldn't have to think about parking expenses. Also, when I'm done waking the Camino I could probably take the flight from Santiago to Blagnac airport in Toulouse. I'm hoping to spend time with my lovely family in France so I have given myself 2 months to complete Camino Frances, Napoleon route if it is possible. My walking distance per day would be +/- 20 kilometers. My travling gear is packed and about 2 weeks from now I will be on my way towards my very first Camino :) I'm very excited to get started and hope that it will be a good experience :)
Thanks for your information, it's truly appreciated.

Sincerely
NorwegianWalker

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back