• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation to Grañón and after

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
My wife and I will be walking our second Camino in a few weeks. Our first was in 2010. This time before we start we will volunteer as hospitaleros for two weeks at Grañón. After which we want to spend a couple days in Haro to enjoy some nice Rioja wines and food and them proceed to Logroño to start our pilgrimage.

We arrive in Madrid on 13 March and we will be taking a 3:15 pm ALSA bus to Logroño. We arrive between 7:15 & 7:30 pm. We could catch a Jimenez bus at 9:45 and get to Grañón at 10:30 but that is too late and impolite. Most likely we will overnight in Logroño and take an early bus. All the buses that pass Grañón are headed to Burgos. I am assuming that they will stop in Grañón to let us off.

Once we complete our volunteering, as I mentioned we want to go to Haro which is 23 kms northeast away. As best as I can tell there is no bus service between Haro and Grañón. I am thinking maybe a taxi but not sure. Has anyone ever used a taxi in Grañón? Any comments or advice is welcomed.
Thanks, Cullen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Autobuses Jiminez offer bus service from Grañon to Santo Domingo. I'm not sure where the bus stop is ... it might be on the highway.

Autobuses La Union y La Burundesa offer bus service from Santo Domingo to Haro.

Grañon is bucolic village off the grid ... I wouldn't count on there being taxi service at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I was in Grañon there were a horrifying number of cats and kittens - all half starved. It was pitiful. I don't remember that from the past.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
granon4kitties.jpg
I was drinking a cold beer outside of the little tienda on Plaza de la Iglesia in Granon (Sept of '14) and yes kittens kittens kittens of all ages running in and out of all the cracks in the walls and doorways. Mostly fluffy black kittens. There are at least 4 kittens in my photo. Two by the chair and two in the wall crack to the right. Plus is it just my imagination or are even the adult cats in Spain tiny compared to what I am used to in the US??

Last edited:
My wife and I will be walking our second Camino in a few weeks. Our first was in 2010. This time before we start we will volunteer as hospitaleros for two weeks at Grañón. After which we want to spend a couple days in Haro to enjoy some nice Rioja wines and food and them proceed to Logroño to start our pilgrimage.

We arrive in Madrid on 13 March and we will be taking a 3:15 pm ALSA bus to Logroño. We arrive between 7:15 & 7:30 pm. We could catch a Jimenez bus at 9:45 and get to Grañón at 10:30 but that is too late and impolite. Most likely we will overnight in Logroño and take an early bus. All the buses that pass Grañón are headed to Burgos. I am assuming that they will stop in Grañón to let us off.

Once we complete our volunteering, as I mentioned we want to go to Haro which is 23 kms northeast away. As best as I can tell there is no bus service between Haro and Grañón. I am thinking maybe a taxi but not sure. Has anyone ever used a taxi in Grañón? Any comments or advice is welcomed.
Thanks, Cullen
Hello crhutch! Congratulations! You and your wife are going to live a wonderfull experience! I had been hospitalero in Grañon from 16th to 31th. last october, and it was great. Be preparated to live a very intense experience. Its easy to call for a taxi to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and not expensive. I called for a cab when finishing my stay, dont remember how much it costed, but it was reasonable. You also can take the bus, but the bus stop is on the road, 1 km from the albergue.
Please, give hugs in my name to Marina, to Father Jesus , and Susana the baker. All of them are lovely people and will help you. If any help is required, please feel free to contat me. Buen Camino, Hospitaleros!!!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Last time I was in Grañon there were a horrifying number of cats and kittens - all half starved. It was pitiful. I don't remember that from the past.
The problem with cats in Grañon is they are fed by pilgrims in summertime. Later when the number of pilgrims decrease, also decrease the amount of food for them. They figth for food, and of then die, fall ill, or starved. Pity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello crhutch! Congratulations! You and your wife are going to live a wonderfull experience! I had been hospitalero in Grañon from 16th to 31th. last october, and it was great. Be preparated to live a very intense experience. Its easy to call for a taxi to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and not expensive. I called for a cab when finishing my stay, dont remember how much it costed, but it was reasonable. You also can take the bus, but the bus stop is on the road, 1 km from the albergue.
Please, give hugs in may name to Marina, to Father Jesus , and Susana the baker. All of them are lovely people and will help you. If any help is required, please feel free to contat me. Buen Camino, Hospitaleros!!!

Kanga, of course we will pass on your regards. We stayed in Grañon in 2010 and had a wonderful time. We are looking forward to giving back. We know that being there during semana santa is going to make it a more special occasion! Thanks for the info.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back