• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Transporting a bike from Paris to Le Puy by bus/train

maritagarzoli

Time of past OR future Camino
cycled the camino in August 2012
Hello All!
Thanks in advance for reading this!

I'm leaving Australia in a few weeks with my bike and am trying to find a way to get it from Paris to Le Puy en Velay ( ready to cycle to SJPDP and then Santiago)
I've read the SCNF train website...and it seems I can take my bike as luggage on the train...but the last 2 hours are by bus and are not possible....

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can get my bike ( in a box OR assembled ) from Paris to Le Puy en Velay by public transport?

THANKS SO MUCH in advance for your advice..
Bon chemin
from Marita in Australia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to the SNCF web it is the section from Saint Etienne/ Chateaucreux onward that is by autocar.
Why not bike from there to Le Puy? See some possible biking routes on this Google map.
https://goo.gl/maps/3cpTc4KLz9r

Happy planning and
Bonne route!

Last edited:
You can take your bike on the autocar of Isilines from St. Etienne under the following conditions:
Dimensions: the sum of the length + width + depth of a piece of luggage must not exceed 170 cm
Weight: one piece of baggage must not exceed 20 kg
Labeling: all luggage must be labeled with your full name, telephone, full passenger address and destination. Upon registration, you will be given free labels.

https://www.isilines.fr/preparer-son-voyage-en-car

I wonder if it is worth the hassle for the last 2 hours. Take the train and, like @mspath says, why not bike from St Etienne?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks a lot Mina and mspath for your input ...and yes I think you RE.right . .biking it from St Etienne is probably the best option. . Thanks again . From Marita

Most read last week in this forum