• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Barcelona to St Jean

FriscoFlyer

Time of past OR future Camino
plan on walking(2017)
We are flying into Barcelona and want to know what travel options we have to get to St.Jean?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the spring and summer, there is a bus from Pamplona to SJPdP (or buses). Check international service with ALSA. In the winter there are buses only to Roncesvalles, then you will need a taxi.

In May the buses are 1430 and 1730 for 22 Euro.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cheapest option is ViBaSA (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. There are lots of other options that may better suit your schedule.

SJPdP

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train 4 times daily all year.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus on seasonal basis. Service usually starts in March and ends in November. In mid summer there are several buses daily.

Airports

Biarritz BIQ is the closest Airport to SJPdP. Chronoplus bus 14 connects airport to Gare Bayonne.

Pamplona has an Airport PNA with flights to Madrid.

San Sebastian EAS is the closest Airport to SJPdP in Spain. There are flights from Barcelona. It is located about 5km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing.

Trains

There are SNCF trains connecting from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne.

Metro Donostealdea can be used from Irun stn Colon to Gare d'Hendaye.

Renfe trains connects Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and Irun.

SNCF trains connect Barcelona Sants to Bayonne via Toulouse.

Renfe Rodalie/Cercanias commuter trains connect Barcelona Prat Airport to Barcelona Sants.

Buses

VibaSA (Monbus) operates buses from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and Irun.

ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Pamplona with transfer at Zaragosa. You will not find Barcelona to Pamplona on ALSA site; its two journeys.

Should you arrive in Pamplona too late to catch the SJPdP bus.

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to San Sebastian PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. Renfe Cercanias operates trains from San Sebastian to Irun. Bus and train are co-located in San Sebastian. SNCF trains from Hendaye start early enough to catch 0745 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the spring and summer, there is a bus from Pamplona to SJPdP (or buses). Check international service with ALSA. In the winter there are buses only to Roncesvalles, then you will need a taxi.

In May the buses are 1430 and 1730 for 22 Euro.
Thank You,

The cheapest option is ViBaSA (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona and CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. There are lots of other options that may better suit your schedule.

SJPdP

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus on seasonal basis. Service usually starts in March and ends in November. In mid summer there are several buses daily.

Airports

Biarritz BIQ is the closest Airport to SJPdP. Chronoplus bus 14 connects airport to Gare Bayonne.

San Sebastian EAS is the closest Airport to SJPdP in Spain. There are flights from Barcelona. It is located about 5km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing.

Trains

Renfe Rodalie/Cercanias commuter trains connect Barcelona Prat Airport to Barcelona Sants.

Buses

ALSA operates buses from Barcelona Estacio Nord to Pamplona with transfer at Zaragosa. You will not find Barcelona to Pamplona on ALSA site; its two journeys.

CONDA (ALSA) operates buses from Pamplona to San Sebastian PESA and ALSA operate buses from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. Renfe Cercanias operates trains from San Sebastian to Irun. Bus and train are co-located in San Sebastian. SNCF trains from Hendaye start early enough to catch 0745 train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

SJPdP

Airports

Trains

Buses

Thank YOU very much for the detailed information.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Looking to book a train from Santiago to Madrid in late June and there are no trains on any day even today on the Renfe site? Queries to Renfe generate an error. Does anyone know what is happening?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back