• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling home from Finisterre

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
Hi all, I'm planning on walking in October and am deciding on wether or not to finish in Finisterre or Santiago. If I do finish in Finisterre i'm wondering how to get home! Nearest airports etc, i'll be travelling to Australia so am looking for international.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI @Jme, if you finish in Finisterre, you can take a bus back to Santiago. From there, you can travel to Madrid by train, bus or plane.

Hi and welcome here!

If you stop in Finisterre there are regular buses to Santiago de Compostela. Or you can share a taxi ( 80 € so if you can share it can lessen the cost ).
From SdC there is enough choice to get to your part of departure to Australia.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Or you can take a bus from Finisterre (aka Fisterra) to A Coruña (with http://autocaresvazquez.net). For flights from A Coruña airport (LCG) to Australia (changing planes along the route), take a look at the web of British Airways.

If I do finish in Finisterre i'm wondering how to get home!
You probably have to go back to Santiago. If you decide to walk to both Muxia and Finisterre go to Muxia first as there will be better bus service to Santiago from Finisterre.

This shows buses from Muxia to Santiago:
http://www.concellomuxia.com/ga/upload/not/50-d-santiagomuxia13.pdf

This shows buses from Finisterre to Santiago:
http://www.monbus.es/es/rutas-puntos-de-venta/465/viajar-fisterra-santiago-de-compostela/

Hi all, I'm planning on walking in October and am deciding on wether or not to finish in Finisterre or Santiago. If I do finish in Finisterre i'm wondering how to get home! Nearest airports etc, i'll be travelling to Australia so am looking for international.
Hi Jme,

I live in The Blue Mountains west of Sydney. I walked The Camino Frances last April. After I got to Santiago, I spent a few days there, did a day trip by bus to Finisterre and back. Almost 3 hours each way but a great trip that day, sunny and warm. Lots of water views along the way. I had lunch, walked to the light house, and got back to Santiago the same day. Santiago main bus station is about 45min walk from the cathedral.

I flew Emirates, big baggage weight limit, and they fly in and out of so many major European cities that you can fly into and out of cities of your choice - mix and match, no extra charge. Santiago airport is pretty big - not at all crowded in early May. I flew from there to Paris, then out of Paris later. I had flown into Madrid in March, stayed there for a few days, train to Pamplona, bus to Saint Jean. You could fly international out of Madrid after a domestic connecting flight from S. which would probably be pretty cheap.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would recommend the walk after Santiago, if only to reconcile yourself with a quieter Camino after having just dine the last 100km into Santiago. As has been said before, many buses run back to Santiago, often many times a day depending on the day of the week and time of the year.

After walking all the way from SJPDP, I was too stiff and sore to walk to F. or M. Will hopefully do so one day. It looks as though it would be a beautiful walk.

Monbus is the service provider from Fisterra to Santiago.

Santiago airport SCQ is well connected to major European airports.

The closest international airports are Porto OPO, Lisboa LIS, and Madrid MAD.

Aena manages Spains Airports
http://www.aena.es/es/pasajeros/pasajeros.html

ANA manages Portugals Airports
http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Pages/Homepage.aspx

Madrid is accessed from Santiago by plane, Renfe train, and ALSA bus.

Porto is accessed from Santiago by train and bus via Vigo. Renfe train and Monbus bus from Santiago to Vigo. Renfe train to Valenca then CP train to Porto or Renfe/CP Celta train from Vigo to Porto. Monbus bus from Santiago to Vigo and Autna bus from Vigo to Porto.

Lisboa is connected to Porto by CP train and by Rede Expressos or Renex bus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SCQ itself is an international airport. Maybe you meant the closest intercontinental airports (i.e.: airports with direct flights to one or more continents other than the one in which they are located)?

I tend to think of Santiago as being an inter-European airport. As opposed to domestic where the only flights go to Madrid or Barcelona.

I tend to think of international airports as those with global connections ... which Santiago SCQ clearly is not.

You are of course technically correct so yeah ... I guess I run the risk of being misunderstood.

Hi Jme,

I live in The Blue Mountains west of Sydney. I walked The Camino Frances last April. After I got to Santiago, I spent a few days there, did a day trip by bus to Finisterre and back. Almost 3 hours each way but a great trip that day, sunny and warm. Lots of water views along the way. I had lunch, walked to the light house, and got back to Santiago the same day. Santiago main bus station is about 45min walk from the cathedral.

I flew Emirates, big baggage weight limit, and they fly in and out of so many major European cities that you can fly into and out of cities of your choice - mix and match, no extra charge. Santiago airport is pretty big - not at all crowded in early May. I flew from there to Paris, then out of Paris later. I had flown into Madrid in March, stayed there for a few days, train to Pamplona, bus to Saint Jean. You could fly international out of Madrid after a domestic connecting flight from S. which would probably be pretty cheap.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Thank you so much! I myself i'm actually from the Blue Mountains!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back