• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Texas

HappyToBeBeBe

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello everyone.

My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old.

But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they?
He’s been amazing through it all —-dirt poor newlyweds, raising children, life’s ups and downs, wins and loses, and then my unexpected devastating medical diagnosis …. so his beloved hike somehow became a “one day I’m going to” story he still tells new friends.

And now, another blow…
Just as we started to take a breath…. the youngest turning 20…I’m doing so much better health wise …..financial worries lessening……the job he’s given his life to just let him go due to “budget cuts.”

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.
There is no better time than right now.
He doesn’t see it yet, but I think what they did is actually a blessing in disguise.

Our troubles will still be waiting when he gets back. :)
I need to give this to him.

We live in Texas
I just don’t know how to get him there… where should he fly in? What trains or buses should I book ? Any suggestions on where or how long to stay to recover from jet lag?
And, how do I do the return flight when I don’t even know when he’ll finish?

Starting sometime early to mid April 2024 would be perfect.

Thank you all

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@HappyToBeBeBe “life’s a bitch and then we die” was my Uncle John’s view on it all. Happily I never took much notice of Uncle John. Grandma taught me that “tomorrow’s always gonna be another day”.

I’m sorry for your troubles, may they pass. And so to answer your core question. A flight into Paris, France makes for an easy train connection to Bayonne and then the local train to St Jean pied de Porte and the modern classic start to the Camino Frances. A flight into Madrid, Spain makes for an easy train connection to Pamplona and another of the classic starting points.

As a European I’ve no knowledge of flights from Texas but I’m confident in guessing that there will be some. A day or two in Paris or Madrid never did anyone any harm but Bayonne or Pamplona might be a gentler introduction to Europe. Capital cities can be challenging even when they’re wonderful

Lots of people walk the Camino in a time of transition. He will fit right in. I like to fly into Madrid, now, but as @Tincatinker indicates. Lots of people fly into Paris.

There are several threads which discuss either entry point. I am assuming he will want to start in St Jean, but starting in Pamplona also has advantages. It is easier to get to, especially from Madrid. It is in Spain so if he wants to get service for his phone right away it is less complicated than starting in France.

Both of you can dig in here on the forum and read through threads and then ask some more when things don't seem clear. Thank you for your support. That makes all the difference for many people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Where do you want him to start? Try Rome2Rio.com for ideas.

As for flying from Texas, I fly in/out of IAH and have connected through 1) Paris 2) London and 3) Amsterdam. I have flown to Biarritz, Porto, and Madrid and have utilized privately hired cars, trains, and buses to get to starting locations.

Good luck 🍀 with your planning!!

Good evening. I hope your troubles get worked out and don't let him use them as an excuse to not go. I'm leaving from Houston but I'm only going to walk from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela. You can decide on the city you want to arrive in and then pick your mode of travel to the start of your Camino. That's vague, I know but a little search of airline flights will begin the process. The rome2rio.com website will help with the options. It looks like I'll fly from Houston to Miami, then Miami to SDC, then a train to Vigo. Good luck.

I did my first Camino after getting laid off in 2016. I did my second Camino in 2023, again after getting laid off. Yes life will still be tough when you get back, those same difficulties are still there. You are right, now is the time for him to go. He will never regret doing the Camino, but he may regret not doing it.

I am from California. I flew to Madrid and then transferred to Biarritz. From Biarritz I booked a ride with Express Bourricot to Saint Jean Pied de Port. You can also take a cab or walk to Bayonne train station and then take the train to Saint Jean. I gave myself one day in Saint Jean to rest, get adjusted to the time zone, check in at the pilgrims office and buy some poles across the way from the pilgrims office. I set off the next day. I only planned my first night at Orrison, where you have to make a reservation, but I went in October when it is not as busy on the Camino so I didn’t need to reserve the rest of the way. April is busy though so definitely search this forum to learn more about April/May.

I did not book a return flight home because I didn’t want to feel rushed. I did walk to Finisterre and I recommend your husband plan for that, which I am sure he plans too if he’s been dreaming of this. If he wants to travel more in Spain after the Camino (I went to Madrid) he may want to pick a duffle bag with non-pilgrim clothes. If so, he can send the bag ahead from Saint Jean to Santiago. I did this and was so glad I did because I also ended up jumping over to England to see a friend I met on the Camino!

Here is my packing list. I’m female but hopefully this gives you husband an idea of what he may need. REI is great for gear.

Happy to answer any questions you may have. I helped my mom get to the Camino a year after I did and last year helped my friend’s son prepare for the Camino.

I am sorry for your husbands job loss. It’s happening to too many people right now. Please let him know, from someone going though it themself, losing his job does not define him.

“The Camino has very little to do with what you do, and everything to do with who you are.”

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
WOW! How wonderful! What a gift!!!!!!

There is a direct flight from DFW to Madrid on American - an overnight flight that leaves DFW in the evening and gets into MAD the next morning. He could then take a flight from MAD to Pamplona the same day he arrives in Madrid (on Iberia airlines - look at Skyscanner - a popular "goggle flights" type search engine that covers flights in Europe) - he doesnt even need to leave the airport in Madrid for the flight to Pamplona. There is also very good bus service from Madrid to Pamplona. He can start walking the camino in Pamplona or take the bus from Pamplona to wherever he wants to begin. Easy peasy.

There are plenty of other flights departing from the USA to Madrid (MAD). For me personally, departing from Nebraska, the easiest and least expensive routes had me flying into MAD. I also researched flying into Paris, Lisbon, Barcelona, and London. Someone suggested that I look into flying through Dublin - which I did - but still Madrid had the best schedule and the best prices. AND the easiest route from my destination airport to where I started my camino (St. Jean Pied de Port, France AKA SJPDP) Again - just my own personal findings. Yours may differ.

I, too, am sorry for the job loss. My husband and I have been through it more than once. You know you are not alone but it doesnt make it any easier.

People on this forum are very helpful so feel free to ask away as questions arise.

Last edited:
My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old.

@HappyToBeBeBe, the three best pieces of advice above which all resonate with me are:

Lots of people walk the Camino in a time of transition. He will fit right in.
and
I hope your troubles get worked out and don't let him use them as an excuse to not go.
and
He will never regret doing the Camino, but he may regret not doing it.
Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that he suddenly has the time available to do this.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just don’t know how to get him there… where should he fly in? What trains or buses should I book ?!?? Any suggestions on where or how long to stay to recover from jet lag?

What is the best, least stressful way, to get him to the beginning of this forever dream all the way from the state of Texas?

Thank you all
JET LAG: I was not bothered by jet lag when I arrived in Spain. I landed in Madrid, caught a flight to Pamplona the same day, and stayed 1 night in Pamplona as my flight was too late for me to be able to catch the bus to SJPDP the same day. The next morning I got the bus to SJPDP and stayed 1 night in SJPDP - then started walking. I had actually planned for a couple of jet lag recovery days in Spain but I didnt need them - I just wanted to walk asap. The return was a different matter- I was zoned out for days.

FLIGHTS: --- see my prior response about arrival airports --- You will find it is very expensive to purchase 2 one-way flights. I could not afford the two higher priced 1-way tickets so had to buy one RT, which meant I needed a return date. After researching the Camino Frances I estimated I could comfortably walk SJPDP to Santiago in 42 days (walking days - not including travel days). I added a few more walking days "just in case". Then I figured how many travel days were needed --- 2 days to get from my city in the USA to Pamplona, 1 day from Pamplona to SJPDP then for the return 1 day from Santiago to MAD and 2 days from MAD to home --- thus 6 travel days. I added 2 more travel days "just in case".

I booked my departure, then booked my return for 53 days after departure. He might want to stay longer - or not. I finished my camino in Santiago but others like to continue on to the coast.

* You might want to get the flights figured out first, then look into the trains/buses, etc. Public transportation in Spain is excellent and very affordable.

It sounds more complicated than it is in reality. It takes a little time to research the travel options- esp the flights, but once in Spain things generally go smoothly.

Hello everyone.

He’s been amazing through it all —-dirt poor newlyweds, raising children, life’s ups and downs, wins and loses, and then my unexpected devastating medical diagnosis …. so his beloved hike somehow became a “one day I’m going to” story he still tells new friends.

And now, another blow…
Just as we started to take a breath…. the youngest turning 20…I’m doing so much better health wise …..financial worries lessening……the job he’s given his life to just let him go due to “budget cuts.”

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.
He doesn’t see it yet, but I think what they did is actually a blessing in disguise.

We live in Texas
I just don’t know how to get him there… where should he fly in? What trains or buses should I book ? Any suggestions on where or how long to stay to recover from jet lag?

Thank you all
Hello fellow Texan! We live about an hour south of Austin, outside of Seguin. I did my first full Camino-Frances this last fall. Using credit card miles with American, I flew the non-stop from Austin to Frankfurt, then down to Bilbao, Spain. A short four hour bus ride the next down put me in St. Jean Pied de Port. of course the flight to London on British Air would provide a good connection. Flying through London however can result in increased price due to UK taxes. I have flown before (with connections) to Madrid also. You will find the train system in Europe very nice, and quite efficient, heaven compared to our own Amtrak. I would be willing to chat with you via email, on the phone, or over coffee sometime. I am not sure how one safely provides contact info here. Let me know if you would like to chat, and we can figure it out.
By the way, I am heading back to the Camino the last week in May. This will be only a one week walk from Ponferrada to Sarria with a group on a mission to pick up trash. This time I will fly to Paris, then down to Santiago. I chose Paris this time, as my wife will be meeting me there after my walk. We will enjoy a week long vist in Paris....

Buen Camino,
Ken Stevens

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
Hi,
There are many ways to get to SJPDP - none of them super efficient from central/west US. I flew from California into Switzerland and then, like others, on to Biarritz - with a short car ride via Express Bourricot to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The car shuttle is quick and easy - although you may have to wait at the airport a bit while they fill the shuttle up (it reduces the price though ;). It's a start on what will be a very memorable journey. Buen Camino!

In my opinion the easiest is DFW to MAD - they have two non-stops daily 5pm and 9:40pm. Then Madrid to Pamplona via train, bus or flight (I prefer train) overnight in Pamplona then either taxi or mid-day bus to St. Jean Pied de Port. Make a booking into either Orisson or Borda (if they're open) for the first night and a booking into Roncesvalles for the second night. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
Daily non-stop flights are available from DFW to Madrid, Paris and a number of other European cities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We live in Texas

You have many helpful, encouraging suggestions in providing good information that will help you with decisions. What I don't quite understand from your questions is why you seem to be taking the full burden on yourself. I would think he would be excited to share a part in the planning.
Wishing your family the best as you navigate through the waters of life.🙏

I see you’re in Austin? Lots of flights direct from Austin to Madrid or Paris, then connect by air, train or bus to his starting point. No need to go to Dallas, and fares might be cheaper from Austin.

There is a group in the US called American Pilgrims on the Camino, and they have a chapter in Austin. I'm certain someone in that chapter would be happy to help you plan where to start your Camino and how best to get there. Good luck and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fly to Madrid, train to Pamplona and start walking from there. That simplifies the travel.

Start points are totally arbitrary.

Best wishes to you and your family. Your husband will most certainly not be the only one walking with ‘history’.

WOW! How wonderful! What a gift!!!!!!

There is a direct flight from DFW to Madrid on American - an overnight flight that leaves DFW in the evening and gets into MAD the next morning. He could then take a flight from MAD to Pamplona the same day he arrives in Madrid (on Iberia airlines - look at Skyscanner - a popular "goggle flights" type search engine that covers flights in Europe) - he doesnt even need to leave the airport in Madrid for the flight to Pamplona. There is also very good bus service from Madrid to Pamplona. He can start walking the camino in Pamplona or take the bus from Pamplona to wherever he wants to begin. Easy peasy.

There are plenty of other flights departing from the USA to Madrid (MAD). For me personally, departing from Nebraska, the easiest and least expensive routes had me flying into MAD. I also researched flying into Paris, Lisbon, Barcelona, and London. Someone suggested that I look into flying through Dublin - which I did - but still Madrid had the best schedule and the best prices. AND the easiest route from my destination airport to where I started my camino (St. Jean Pied de Port, France AKA SJPDP) Again - just my own personal findings. Yours may differ.

I, too, am sorry for the job loss. My husband and I have been through it more than once. You know you are not alone but it doesnt make it any easier.

People on this forum are very helpful so feel free to ask away as questions arise.
I think it's also useful to know that you can leave by the bus from the airport if you're going to a place that bus goes. In 2021 we took the bus (made tickets beforehand) to Leon and began our Salvador. It's also on the Frances route and would make an easy trip to a start point for that. (About 4 hours on a bus, one stop, there is a facility on the bus. OH, and bus seats are assigned when you buy them, no just grabbing whatever on the intercity busses.)
Another option is a train ride. Rome2Rio is your friend. :)

I did Camino Frances April 2022. Flew from Austin to Madrid (connecting flight in Atlanta). Then train to Pamplona. Then grabbed a taxi van at the train station with 5 other guys to SJPDP. Other pilgrims are happy to split the ride. If I remember correctly we each paid about 22 euros to split the cost. It was very easy. On the return I flew from Santiago to Madrid (bus to city center outside of airport was only 5 euros), spent a couple of days in Madrid, then flew back the same route to Austin.
Sorry he lost his job, but I believe things happen for a reason. Glad he is going. He will never regret it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
Hello, I like to buy a flexible ticket so I can change the return date if I want

@HappyToBeBeBe “life’s a bitch and then we die” was my Uncle John’s view on it all. Happily I never took much notice of Uncle John. Grandma taught me that “tomorrow’s always gonna be another day”.
I thought your Uncle John said "Life is what happens to you While you're busy making other plans" or was it your nephew?
That said - are you telling me that Katie Scarlett O'Hara is your Grandma?
There is a group in the US called American Pilgrims on the Camino, and they have a chapter in Austin. I'm certain someone in that chapter would be happy to help you plan where to start your Camino and how best to get there. Good luck and Buen Camino!

I wholeheartedly second getting in touch with a local chapter of APotC - you will make some friends and get good connections (and you can even get The Credenciale right off the bet)

Now... you are getting lots of good advice on how to get to the beginning point (whatever it may wind up being). So I am not going to offer any of my musings (although pretty fast - mine was flight to Paris and train from Gare Montparnasse as per one of the options already mentioned)
What I want to do is put a buzz in your ear for something quite different and yet...hopefully 'so special'

When I started planning many folks asked me if my wife is coming with. I said - No, it is "MY Camino, MY Pilgrimage"...but that said I would've loved nothing better than for her to greet me on Plaza Obradoiro in front of the Cathedral
And that's what we did. My wife flew into SdC and met me at the end of my walk (We did Finisterre together but I don't know your situation so that may be a little too much)

I believe this will "do you both AWESOME" Yes it will require a little more planning but IMHO the end will justify the means

Good Luck to you and your hubby. Remember - When God closes the door He surely enough will open a window somewhere, so don't fret. If anything - here is the closest you've come to the realization of the Camino Pilgrimage as you probably even been.

Buen Camino!!!!

I'm flying from Houston (IAH) to Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) with stops and connections along the way. I'm doing the French route starting from Sarria at the end of June for 7 nights / 8 days.

It might be a good idea to hire a company that organizes everything including transfers from airport to start of the Camino, hotels or hostels, meals, luggage transfers, and more. They can even arrange extra days if he wants to arrive early to get settled. Some companies even have group tours, but more expensive.

The ones I've communicated with the most:
Self guided tour: https://tubuencamino.com/en/

Group tour: https://caminoways.com/camino-de-santiago-guided-tours

Group tour: https://www.gadventures.com/trips/walk-the-camino-de-santiago/ESCS/

PS - I also just got laid off and found it to be perfect time to do the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think most of the fun is doing the Camino on your own without a company. Others will disagree, but there are plenty of us here on the forum to help you out for free without paying someone else.

I live in the North Dallas area. Did Camino Frances in summer 2019 and Portuguese route summer 2023.

For CF, I flew from DFW to Madrid, took a train from Madrid to Pamplona. Arrived in Pamplona in the afternoon. Stayed the night. Next day we took an afternoon bus to SJPDP, stayed the night, then got up and started the walking.
Coming home I flew from Santiago back to Madrid for a few days, then Madrid to DFW.

For the Portuguese route, we flew DFW to Lisbon, took a train to Porto, stayed 2 nights, then started walking from there.

Just read through these boards, plenty of good information. See if there is a local "American Pilgrims on the Camino" group in your area and reach out to them - lots of people with experience and good information.

Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
I am traveling from Dallas for my first Camino beginning of May. My plan is to fly Dallas to CDG in Paris and connect to Biarritz. Train from Bayonne to St. Jean.

My parents are meeting me for the last 100km and we will tour a bit upon completion. We will return via Paris.

I am so excited for your husband, may his trip be all he has dreamed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
The best way.. the most direct..fly into Paris and then take a train to St. Jean.

Hello everyone.

And now, another blow…

Just like that.

Welp, no more excuses!
He needs to do this.
He needs it.

We live in Texas

Thank you all
I think you are absolutely looking at this the right way - a blessing in disguise. I was laid off last year and thought the same way. It was as if the universe was telling me it was time. I walked in Sept/Oct last year and am SO glad I did! It was good for my “wounded” soul. I’m from CA and arranged my flights through Expedia (multi city). I flew on American Airlines into DFW, then into Paris (CDG). Then flew into Biarritz (BIQ) and took a shuttle (Express Bourricot), which I arranged ahead of time for 19 euro, into St. Jean Pied de Port. I gave myself a rest day before walking to Orisson, it gave me time to rest and sight-see around SJPDP. It all worked out great for me! I flew back home from Santiago with a couple of layovers. I think what you’re doing is wonderful and I know he won’t regret it. Buen Camino to your hubby!

Where do you want him to start? Try Rome2Rio.com for ideas.

As for flying from Texas, I fly in/out of IAH and have connected through 1) Paris 2) London and 3) Amsterdam. I have flown to Biarritz, Porto, and Madrid and have utilized privately hired cars, trains, and buses to get to starting locations.

Good luck 🍀 with your planning!!
Rome2Rio is a good source for routing ideas, but it is often completely wrong about price and schedules. Also, if you put “europe” for destination, instead of looking all over Europe, it tells you how to get to Frankfurt, Germany. I assume it has a similar flaw with any other “flexible" destinatioon.

A good source for airfares that is very flexible is https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search
But you can’t buy the ticket there. Find ones you like there and then compare the same schedules/routes on Kayak.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back