• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling with child

Mamama13

Time of past OR future Camino
Future (Sept 2019)
Any helpful advice for traveling with 6 year old child? We plan to start from St Jean Pied De Port and stay in Orisson. I’m thinking of taking a stroller but not sure it’s needed for this part of the Camino. We plan to use transport service for our packs. Along the route we plan to stay at hotels rather than hostels.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do not think that you need a stroller. Kids recover easily after a short break. So if you plan your stages accordingly (+/-15 km with several breaks) and use backpack transport, you should be ok.
When I was six, my parents took me on walks of 20-25 km every weekend. So I think children of that age are able to walk the camino.
I walked part of the Camino Francés with my nephew (then 9 1/2) in spring 2012. He did walk without any complaint up to 28 km, even carrying his own backpack. But he did not like the lack of privacy in the big dormitories. He also preferred hotels.
So enjoy your planning and your camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Consider that for every stride you take, your child must take three or more. This means that he/she will have walked three times as far (in terms of steps) each day.

Based on observation while on Camino, not direct experience, I suggest that you should either plan to have very short days, at least until the child demonstrates an affinity for walking a long distance, OR have a means to transport the child.

A ruggedized hiking stroller with pressurized bicycle type wheels is what I see most often. Some of these will fold and can be carried using shoulder straps.

As you are using mochila transport for your overnight stuff, this should not be too much of a burden.

What you do not want is a child who decides that he/she is not taking another step and goes into a tantrum to enforce that decision. Be prepared...

Hope this helps.

may i suggest a sturdy hiking stroller, you will need it on that stage and all the way to santiago.
in my opinion transport services and hotels are a good call
Buen Camino
I’m looking the Bob Sport Utility Stroller. Would your recommend any other strollers? Thanks for input!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do not think that you need a stroller. Kids recover easily after a short break. So if you plan your stages accordingly (+/-15 km with several breaks) and use backpack transport, you should be ok.
When I was six, my parents took me on walks of 20-25 km every weekend. So I think children of that age are able to walk the camino.
I walked part of the Camino Francés with my nephew (then 9 1/2) in spring 2012. He did walk without any complaint up to 28 km, even carrying his own backpack. But he did not like the lack of privacy in the big dormitories. He also preferred hotels.
So enjoy your planning and your camino.

The distance is short between SJPP and Orisson so he maybe in able to because distance but not sure about the incline. We’re starting to hike to prepare so by September his endurance and stamina should increase. My son is a trooper and quite ambitious but I want to make it as comfortable as possible for him. Thanks for your helpful input.

Consider that for every stride you take, your child must take three or more. This means that he/she will have walked three times as far (in terms of steps) each day.

Based on observation while on Camino, not direct experience, I suggest that you should either plan to have very short days, at least until the child demonstrates an affinity for walking a long distance, OR have a means to transport the child.

A ruggedized hiking stroller with pressurized bicycle type wheels is what I see most often. Some of these will fold and can be carried using shoulder straps.

As you are using mochila transport for your overnight stuff, this should not be too much of a burden.

What you do not want is a child who decides that he/she is not taking another step and goes into a tantrum to enforce that decision. Be prepared...

Hope this helps.
Yes, very helpful. Thank you. Yes, on the shorter days, hotels and baggage transport service. Stroller for longer stretches. Do you think a stroller is necessary for inclines with shorter distances? I think my son has the temperament and enthusiasm needed but safety is #1 and #2 is a quality experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The above advice governs. Push your child in training to determine his/her limits and tolerance for discomfort and fatigue. Be guided by that.

However, if you DO come down on the side of some sort of stroller, I have seen folding, spoked wheel, inflatable tire types. Google hiking stroller. The best ones have 16 or 20 inch bicycle tires with air pressure.

If you do this, let half the air out before checking so the tube does not rupture on a low pressure hold. Have a skinny bike pump...

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.