• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

treated fitted sheet for bed bugs? advise please..

christina houpis

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2015 Camino Frances
I read a few posts, from awhile back, of a seasoned Pilgrim who recommended getting a small/single fitted bed sheet to put on the albergue beds. This was as a defense against bedbugs (in addition to having a sleeping bag or liner treated with Permetherin) and would also allow pilgrims to have their arms or body out of the sleeping bag, if they were hot, and still be protected. His other points were that the fitted sheet would cover over the pillow, in case they weren't looking too 'fresh', and this would also eliminate the need to bring a pillowcase.
I hadn't thought about bringing this extra weight, but am now considering it.

Any input or advise? thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i did spray my bag liner with permethrin. This guy was saying that if you get hot and want to remove your body parts from the mummy bag, you are no longer covered by the permethrin, and he recommended bringing a fitted sheet too, as it would also cover the questionable pillow - need for pillowcase issue too.
didn't think of spraying or lotioning myself at night. don't really want to carry another bottle of something.
Just seeing what others think or if anyone has done this or seen this.
thanks for your idea

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I take a treated fitted sheet and pillow case.
Small extra weight but great piece of mind. My wife made from very light weight fabric using elastic at corners
In summer I just use silk sack laid on top and don't get inside. No sleeping bag.
Works great for me.

If having the permethrin next to your body doesn't bother you, this would work fine. I personally would feel better if the permethrin was on the OUTside of my bag, not against my skin. But I'm super sensitive.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Second verse same as the first, could get better but gona get worse:
Do you really want to "Now I lay me down to sleep" for a month and more on a bed of insecticide? There have been reports of bedbugs over the years usually isolated accounts, truly reported, but it is not endemic to the Camino nor not an excepted hazard faced by brave pilgrims, shot happens but no worse. You probably stand a similar chance of bedbugs in a hotel in New York City or Chicago; in any case, take am aloe-vera based cream against the itch of mosquito bites, sly bedbugs that can get around your defenses, or skin rashes caused by direct contact with too much insecticides. Ear plugs to withstand the countless numbers of snorers, night-time vagabounds searching for the toilets in an unrecognized albergue, and 0530 kerthumpers gathering their gear for an early start are a more immediate need.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On two Caminos I never had any bedbug encounters and only met one pilgrim who had bedbug bites, and he didn't get those until Santiago. He and several other pilgrims were sharing one room together when it occurred.

Thanks for your input, everyone.
I never had thought of bedbugs in my preparations, but came across this very thorough and humorous Camino-related site on the subject, so been scratching my head about it since (har har).
Tried to purchase this sheet through Amazon.uk,and tried every which way to have it delivered (I have a cousin in Pamplona), but I think there are shipping restrictions on insecticide-treated items.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes! that's the one I read - that's right, it was your blog; very informative (and funny). I've read it a few times, to educate myself.

Have also read other posts on the subject to learn what other seasoned walkers have done.
thanks for your help.

My only second thought about the sheet is that it seems it would not protect in the event of bed bugs being in the bed frames or nearbys, and/or falling from an upper bunk (I think you had mentioned this point).

Right. Really, I don't think you should stress over this. I've walked the Camino many times, and was bitten only once or twice, and I'm still not sure it was bedbugs. The places I've SEEN bugs or sign of bugs, I've asked for my money back and moved on. I did spray the outside of my backpack with permethrin, and I use the mosquito spray as I say in the blog, but otherwise take no other precautions. Just go and have fun and if you see sign of bugs, move on, even if it means taking a taxi to the next village. Bedbugs are everywhere these days and you're just as likely to get them in a hotel along I-5 in California as you are in Spain.

I agree with Annie..don't stress over the worry.
I have not actually seen or been bitten by a bed bug over many Caminos.
That is both with and without treated equipment.
I think it really breaks down to luck. :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Christina,

During my walk there were several pilgrims who were bit by bedbugs. Here was my trick and I NEVER got a bite:

1. Treated the outside of my sleeping bag (and liner if you wish to bring based on temperature) with permethrin. No need for a separate sheet.
2. Treated my pillow case (I brought a US King pillowcase-liner that zipped, and stuffed the european pillows in each night) with permethrin
3. Treated my pack inside and out with permethrin. (By the way, the etiquette is to keep your pack on the floor or in the cabinets they provide because beg bugs can get inside packs and carry with you.)
4. Treated the outside of my shoes with permethrin
5. Brought a small "hair spray" bottle and filled with water, and then added about dozen drops of lavender essential oil and sprayed on my bedding (brought an extremely small container of the oil to replenish the spray bottle every couple of weeks). Lavender is known to keep some insects away. I cannot prove it works on bedbugs, but I never got a bite, and I was extra calm when falling asleep with the lavender. :)
6. Brought lavender bar soap that I used to wash my clothes and body (until I used it up).

Each night I inspected the mattress to see if there were signs of bedbugs before I settled in. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this or other internet sites.

PS. I agree with Annie. Just prepare, inspect and relax!

Hope this helps!
Michelle
http://caminoconcierge.com

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.