• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Triacastela to Sarria

poppymaisie

Hi I am planning my routes I am walking Camino beginning of April. I am unsure and confused on what route to take when I get to Triacastela onwards to Sarria.I have searched several websites and books and they differ lots on what route they recommend.Either via San Xil or via Samos. Would be very grateful for personal recommendation from someone who knows the routes. I would like most scenic and safe. Thanks. John Brierlys book recommends via san Xil but several websites say the southern route...confused.... :?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Like mspath I have taken both routes and would not worry which one as both are good, perhaps I marginally prefer the San Xil one, but why not go with the flow and not make your mind up in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have walked and enjoyed both routes and have stopped several times in Samos, first in order to visit the monastery, Samos should be seen but secondly for the tiny mozárabe Chapel "Capila del Cipres" located in the park closely the hostel entrance at the monastery. The chapel was built by Muslim converts - however - within you will find benches around the walls and the apse points Southwest towards Mecca just like a mosque! An intriguing austere building and the key is usually to be found with whoever mans the hostel entrance. The monastery hostel is a bit cramped, the ceilings are nicely decorated, and one is awakened with divine music –however- in any month other then summer make sure your thermal underwear are at hand nights there can be very cold.

San Xil is much shorter, and mostly off-road.

Samos is worth a visit, but the cloisters tour is in the afternoon. You could take a taxi from Samos to Sarria after the tour! Much of the Triacastela to Samos and Samos to Sarria route is on road.

Thank you so much for your help, Mspath for introducing me to your blogs
and William for of course the best advice...why worry? I shall just wait and see what path feels right on the day. :wink:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum