• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

O Cebreiro to Triacastela - main or alternate

Gekkosan

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2024
When exiting O Cebreiro, there is a fork. To the right is what the map marks as the “main” and “recommended” route. It’s the “new” route and it goes along the highway. To the left, is the “alternate” way, through the mountain.
I could not find any reference to what the difference might be. Most pilgrims were taking the “main” route.
I asked the hostel owner about it, and she seemed contemptuous of the “new” trail, calling it “uncomfortable “.
It was a lovely, sunny day, so I saw no harm in taking the “alternate” path.
I did not regret it. It was a lovely hike across incredibly beautiful mountain scenery.
It does have one steep climb at the start, but if you did the climb to O Cebreiro, this is but an insignificant hop, over in a few minutes. Provided it is not raining or snowing, I see no reason not to take this route.
BTW, having started in Astorga, I must say that O Cebreiro has been my favorite stop by far. Lovely tiny village!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When exiting O Cebreiro, there is a fork. To the right is what the map marks as the “main” and “recommended” route. It’s the “new” route and it goes along the highway. To the left, is the “alternate” way, through the mountain.
I could not find any reference to what the difference might be. Most pilgrims were taking the “main” route.
I asked the hostel owner about it, and she seemed contemptuous of the “new” trail, calling it “uncomfortable “.
I did not regret it. It was a lovely hike across incredibly beautiful mountain scenery.
It does have one steep climb at the start, but if you did the climb to O Cebreiro, this is but an insignificant hop, over in a few minutes. Provided it is not raining or snowing, I see no reason not to take this route.
BTW, having started in Astorga, I must say that O Cebreiro has been my favorite stop by far. Lovely tiny village!
Hmm, which map are you referring to? The route from O Cebreiro has always swung left through the trees and over the heath to Liñares. Then it drops right of the road until the Alto do Poio. Walking the LU-633, the road, has only ever been recommended in adverse weather. Are you looking at a cycling app?

Edit: after a little reflection I have had a moment of horror. Are you saying that Xunta de Galicia have installed yet another stretch of "Autopista de Peregrino"? A "lovely" length of gravelled path, nice drainage channels, unnecessary Mojones and the occasional useless information board "you are now 150 km 416cm from your shopping opportunity" - I wish I still had a sense of humour

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought the descent from Fonfria to Triacastela was the most beautiful on the Camino above the clouds looking down into the valley stunning.

I have walked both paths that you referred to. The one to the left over the hill was definitely nicer but, in 2019, was what finally broke me.

As you said, it is only a small hill and not at all a big deal but I had managed to catch Legionella back in Sahagun without realising it. I thought that I had a bad cold or influenza. I had stubbornly continued walking while my lungs filled with fluid and I really struggled to breathe going up that hill.

Usually I recovered on the descent but that day I didn't. I dragged myself on until I saw this sign
IMG_20190629_101553226.jpg

This got me thinking because I knew that something was seriously amiss. I struggled up this gentle incline to the small village and stopped for a rest in the bar. A good choice because I collapsed in the bar and the nice people there called an ambulance for me.

After recovering in hospital and recuperating for a couple of days in Portugal with a friend I returned to O Cebrerio to re-walk this stretch and out of curiosity I walked the path to the right, along the road. There were a lot of other pilgrims on this route. While the route was along the side of the road the views were just as spectacular.

IMG_20190629_090719426.jpg

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back