• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trondheim (Nidaros) to Santiago de Compostela

So LK...where are you heading for now? Staying on the German side of the grenze..or hopping over to Luxembourg or the French side? Are you going to head to Paris...and then take the Camino south?? Hoping the more temperate days we've had, and not the winds, will hurry over to you.

Karin

LOL!! LT's post appeared just as I was "posting"...apparently we're all dying of curiosity! Buen Camino all!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
1970km..... seems like nothing compared to how far you have come already!!! And suddenly, you are so very close to the French border....
The picture you posted with the angel/saint and Mary from Trier was a beautiful one to put with your earthquake reflections.
Margaret

Love that photo of the spring buds..... it must be a sight that brings you such joy after the long winter you have walked through.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Day 194 at the border….
….And so it is time to say Auf Wiedersehen to all the people who have watched over me and guided me on my way through this lovely place. I have had a rare, precious experience as a Winterpilgerin in Deutschland and could not have walked this far without the kindness and goodwill of others. There is a growing love for pilgrimage amongst the German people and I have been blessed by it. Thank you.

Schön Sie getroffen zu haben…….
-Lovingkindness

Days 85 to 194 Deutschland: Via Jutlantica (Flensburg- Lübeck); Via Baltica (Lübeck-Münster), Jacobswegs & Fahradwegs (Münster-Bonn); Der Rheinstieg (Bonn –Koblenz); Mosel Camino (Koblenz-Trier); Jacobsweg (Trier-Perl).

Attachments

• 18907.jpg
    18907.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,778
Merci!!

And for the signs of actual spring. :eek: .Double Merci!!

Karin

Dear LK

You may know that in Clairvaux you cross Via Francigena.
Thanks again for fantastic photos :D

Ultreia!
Oyvind

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
LK!! Love that last one in Germany!! The newspaper article/header was perfect!! Only I don't quite know that I'd use drama to describe you... this is more of an epic poem! But I am happy to see that it does "go on"!

I'm stunned at how green those fields are already! Can almost smell the spring time!

Bon Chance, Karin

Ahhhh the mairie- those red and white track signs.... I feel 'homesick' already!!

Those 'mairie' buildings can bring you help in all sorts of unexpected ways.... In one town, a man left his desk so we foreigners could use his computer for the internet- as internet is not so easy to find when you are walking in France. (Try the public libraries though.)

I love that very 'spring' look in the fields. But I also know that when you climb higher again, you will return to winter. Go well lovingkindness- so lovely to follow you as you walk...
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
bonjour, Margaret. Viva le Printemp!

Days 197 to199 en Metz
Days 197 to 199 en Metz
Days 197 to 199 en Metz

Attachments

• 19805a.jpg
    19805a.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,402
  • 19901.jpg
    19901.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,406
  • 19902.jpg
    19902.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,397
À l'intérieur de la Cathédrale

À l'intérieur de la Cathédrale canoodling lovers engage behind blackened pillars, furious attendants roust them out, tourists endlessly snap and ogle and chatter et peutêtre, une pèlerine might find gentle repose beneath the soaring vaults and jewelled windows?…..mais, Non. Je suis désolé....

-Miséricorde

Attachments

• 19707.jpg
    19707.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2,395
  • 19804.jpg
    19804.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,398
  • 19708.jpg
    19708.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2,397
Days 197 to 199 en Metz (cont.)

You see someone interesting but they are out of reach. You admire their profile but your eyes never meet. They appear concerned about something and for a moment you speculate what that might be and then you step back and consider: This is not a real person. This is a Saint. Blood does not warm their stony skin or passion fire the delicacy of their pose. Their unsmiling countenance conforms to the dictates of religious and artistic convention.

St. Jacques de la Cathédrale St. Etienne, Metz is a barefoot man with elegant hands. He is exquisitely draped in sandstone linen with coquilles symboliques precisely placed numbering nine –six on his shoulder bag and three on its strap. With silent mouth and furrowed brow he clutches a sword to his arenite chest, dead to the world but alive to Christ he stands frozen.

This interpretation of St. Jacques stands side-on to the public, one of a profusion of figures etched in a neo-Gothic Judgement scene. He resides out of reach in the Grand Porteil de la Cathédrale near the Marché Couvert which stinks of fish, opposite the Place Jean-Paul II a thoroughfare for charging autos and monster buses, behind forged iron palings with decorative spikes on top. He is perched on the aching back of a cross-legged King, oblivious to an orgy of naked sinners and cavorting demons feeding the jaws of hell.
-Miséricorde: mercy, kindness, forgiveness, lovingkindness.....

..…et je me demande, où est Jacques -Boanerges , le ‘fils du tonnerre’?........

Attachments

• 19810.jpg
    19810.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2,375
  • 19802.jpg
    19802.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 2,379
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Days 200 to 204 Metz to Toul

Attachments

• 20000.jpg
    20000.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,123
  • 19709.jpg
    19709.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,131
  • 19800.jpg
    19800.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,128
Metz to Gorze
Metz to Gorze
Metz to Gorze

*In 749 a Benedictine abbey was established in Gorze. Earliest documentation of pilgrims passing through Gorze to Santiago de Compostela is in 1175 (Bishop Anno von Minden)

Attachments

• 20009.jpg
    20009.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2,115
  • 20008.jpg
    20008.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 2,118
  • 20003.jpg
    20003.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2,121
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gorze to Vendières
Gorze to Vendières
Gorze to Vendières

Attachments

• 20103.jpg
    20103.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,101
  • 20102.jpg
    20102.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,103
  • 20100.jpg
    20100.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,104
Vendières to Dieulouard
Vendières to Dieulourd
Vendières to Dieulourd

Attachments

• 20300.jpg
    20300.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,089
  • 20206.jpg
    20206.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2,109
  • 20203.jpg
    20203.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 2,108
Dieulouard to Liverdun/Pompey

*in the region of Alsace-Lorrain there is an Association des amis de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, established in Toul, 2001.

Attachments

• 20305.jpg
    20305.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 2,119
  • 20302.jpg
    20302.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2,124
  • 20301.jpg
    20301.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,114
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The clear sunnny skies and the emerging blossoms of spring must be helping to put a real spring in your step. It is a real treat to log on and see more of your wonderful photos - thank you for taking the time and trouble to share. Janet

Liverdun to Toul
Liverdun to Toul
Liverdun to Toul

Attachments

• 20404.jpg
    20404.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 2,114
  • 20402.jpg
    20402.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2,113
  • 20420.jpg
    20420.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,116
Bonjour, jl.Yes, it is Spring. I am wind-scorched and turning brown. The weather is changeable so I am still hauling duck feathers and wool. -L

Toul
Toul
Toul

* The first cathedral in Toul was dedicated in the 5th century. Toul is a fortified town. During the French revolution (1789-99) all the statues were looted from the cathedral. Damaged during WW2, restoration began in 1980.

Attachments

• 20407.jpg
    20407.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2,097
  • 20406.jpg
    20406.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2,084
  • 20408.jpg
    20408.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,094
Lovely! So sad to see the damaged cathedral...and to realize how long it's taken to even begin restoration! Have to wonder if we even have the craftsmen or artisans to try and reproduce/replace any of the missing statuary.

Sending you warm breezes and best wishes as always, Karin

Somewhere en France
Somewhere en France
Somewhere en France

Le menu du jouror when l'experience cross-cultural becomes too much

Once upon another life I fed ‘Missionaries’ to Dorothy. She gazed all day at a pretty fish and tapped and harassed it until he/she/it and its five replacements went belly-up. So I found a pseudo-fish of golden-leaf and iridescent glass. Suspended on fine tack and a delicate bauble it swam and weaved through fluttering weed oblivious to its hammering and knuckle-rapping voyeur. Then one day Dolly-d’un-dent-et-cent-ans went belly-up, too, and the glittering little fish had peace.

I am about to eat a plate of raw fish with blobs of something suspended in pinkish sauce. I didn’t know that was what I was going to eat, but, now, here it is and I’m too embarrassed to send it back. I am staring at a tank full of colourful fish harassing and biting the life out of each other and I feel sick. My stomach is churning and my throat has clenched. Then sweet Dorothy slides as gossamer through my mind and suddenly I’m saying a prayer:

Lord, I’ll eat it, You keep it down. (Missioner’s prayer)

*Dorothy, a British memsahib of ancient years, spent half a lifetime in deepest dark Africa acquiring wealth and position in the days when Grande-Bretagne ruled half the world and ‘Missionaries’ were syrupy prunes sent into the ‘dark interior’ to do good.

-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 21011.jpg
    21011.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,197
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok...the long silence after that post is very disconcerting!! Did you survive your dinner?? You have to let us know what it actually was...so that we too may avoid ever ordering it. Although I must say it is apparently following my one and only golden rule for food (one my hubby has transgressed!)....and that is Don't Move on my plate, if your not truly dead already...at least act like it (eg, clams, oysters and such!) :shock:

Buen Camino, Karin

Falcon...that was it!!! Hubby was reading over my shoulder and agreed that was the dish!! I appreciate that others consider it a delicacy, but I personally still hold firm to...play dead while on my dinner plate!!

LK....how goes it? Thinking of you each morning...wishing you well! Karin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ksam said:
my one and only golden rule for food ....and that is Don't Move on my plate

The following anecdote has nothing whatsoever to do with a Camino:

I was in Kyoto some years ago, enjoying dinner with some other travelers. Dinner was of the shabu-shabu sort (pot of simmering broth on the table, platter of sliced raw food, diners cook their own meal). We had admired the obvious freshness of the seafood on the beautifully presented platter. Little did we know quite how fresh it was. About halfway through the first beer, we decided we should lift the lid on the pot and check on the progress of dinner. Whereupon, the two large crayfish decided this was a good time to make an escape, and hopped out of the pot and skittered across the length of the table.

We shrieked. In unison.

The restaurant staff skillfully captured the escapees and stuffed them back in the pot. And brought another round of beers.

Obviously it was the most memorable meal of the entire trip!

Day 205 Toul to Vaucouleurs

Attachments

• 20516.jpg
    20516.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2,245
  • 20509.jpg
    20509.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2,248
  • 20504.jpg
    20504.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2,253
Days 195-214:
Days 195-214:
Days 195-214:

Le Chemin de Saint Jacques de La Frontière á Abbey Clairvaux** -c. 290 kms
A pélerine’s life is full of distractions and no matter how often one resolves to practice silence and tranquillity, to spend one’s day in prayer and meditation, curiosities and fascinations play saboteur and life becomes a circus –or a tragèdie depending on history and locale. Since Gallo-Roman times the area which I am traversing has had fortifications. There have been colonisers from the South, invaders and occupiers from the North, lengthy wars with the West and internal disputes, home-grown Revolutions and religious wars. For more than 2000 years the Alsace-Lorrain has been repeatedly fought over.

Le Chemin de Saint Jacques as it wends its way from Apache at the border to the fortified town of Toul (c. 150 kms) is a lesson in the follies and tragedies of warfare. Instead of focusing on migrating geese and the miracles of Spring I found myself struggling and fighting for inner Peace. I became ‘bogged in the trenches’ of two World Wars and stuck in a muddy vortex along the Maginot Line. The remains of past wars littered the forests which I passed through and monuments to the fallen of 1870, 1914-18, and 1939-45 dominated every village square. And just when I thought I had finished with War and become opaquely serene and mindlessly calm along came another –the 100 Years War between England and France (14th-15th centuries). From Vaucouleurs by the River Meuse all the way to Abbey Clairvaux in Champagne (120 kms) I found myself following Le Sentier Jeanne d’Arc (historic route, 1429). Instead of statues and stained glass pictures of St Jacques, martyr there were now memorials and statues honouring St. Jeanne, martyr. And when I arrived at Abbey Clairvaux, (founded by Bernard de Clairvaux who preached the second Crusade, Vezelay (1146)) instead of silent Cistercians I found a national penitentiary with barbed wire loops on top of ancient stone walls and menacing watch towers with loud hailers at corners. The Cistercians were ousted in 1791 during the French Revolution, the church demolished and its stones recycled in 1809-12, and in 1811 the Abbey became a national prison.

One can still find a vibrant Christian expression at Abbey Clairvaux. Outside it’s three kilometres of chalky walls Les Soeurs de la Fraternité de St. Bernard show hospitality and kindness to the occasional pélerin(e) and to the families and visiting girlfriends of prisoners. (I have a birds-eye view from my bedroom window over the Abbey wall)

La Vie de la pélerine est un éducation intéréssant and no matter how often one resolves to practice le Silence et la Tranquillité, to spend one’s day á la prière et en méditation, curiosities and fascinations play le saboteur…

Lovingkindness/Miséricorde

**Note: Le Chemin de Saint Jacques now has intermittent signing from Sierck-les-Bain, 2 km after Apache at the German/France border as far as Toul. It coincides with other well-signed GR routes, local paths, and historic trails. A new guide book (in German, spiral-bound) has been published with excellent commentary, detailed coloured maps, balisage indications plus facilities along the way. Accommodation possibilities are noted but limited. Copies are available at the DOM office, Trier where the St. Jakobusbruderschaft provide information.

*Book: Steffen, Wolfgang. Von Apostelgrab zu Apostelgrab, Ein Führer für Pilgerinnen auf dem Weg nach Santiago von St. Matthias in Trier bis Sainte Madeleine in Vézelay. Galli: Verlag. ISBN 978-3-936990-49-2

Attachments

• 20605.jpg
    20605.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,227
  • 20604.jpg
    20604.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 2,238
  • 20602.jpg
    20602.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,224
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€60,-
Ohhhhh! Such a wonderful run of pictures!! Sounds like your making amazing progress! Incredible when we realize all the history under our feet, right in each of our own backyards. Some places really seem to ring out with their past lives.

Keep warm and keep your feet dry! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lovely photos of France.... I have never been to these particular places but you are bringing back treasured memories all the same. I am walking with you as you see these first early signs of spring. Maybe when you climb again you will be back into a little bit of winter- then will descend into rampant spring.

I went to a wonderful organ concert today at All Saints. It was by Christopher Hainsworth, originally from Wellington, but he has been in Europe for many years as an organist- currently at Béziers Cathedral. And in Square Edge next door the Manawatu Symphonia were rehearsing. I am sure there were people you would know in both places! But I thought of you in All Saints as the organ brought us a little bit of France.
Margaret
PS Am resuming full-time work soon. If I can save hard enough, I might end up joining the class of 2012- starting from Cluny and walking to just past Conques. The Cluny-Le Puy bit would be new, but from Le Puy onwards would be a 'repeat' of a section I loved very much.

...et Abbey Clairvaux. Guided visits only, photos interdit

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,136
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2,132
  • 21302.jpg
    21302.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,131
Sorry folks, it's not LK, just me :|

While we're waiting, I can tell you all that nuestra Peregrina, with her latest photos showed us Clairvaux, the very spot where (one of) the Santiago-route is crossing Via Francigena.

If anyone interested (in VF), an Italian woman (member of this forum, indeed) have a brilliant presentation of her walk from Canterbury to Rome.

Looking forward to your next post, Lovingkindness. We love it!
Pax, Øyvind

Attachments

• Francigena-Clairvaux.jpg
    Francigena-Clairvaux.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,969
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Attachments

• 20708.jpg
    20708.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,860
You're the artist!

They that wait on the Lord shall renew their strength
They shall mount up with wings like eagles
They shall run and not faint
They shall walk and not be weary
-Isaiah

Attachments

• 21002.jpg
    21002.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,709
sometimes it seems that wherever one goes, whatever one seeks the doors are closed. And then one day it no longer matters. -LK

Attachments

• 21710.jpg
    21710.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,575
  • 21605.jpg
    21605.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • 21601.jpg
    21601.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 1,573
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSHUwpTezK0[/youtube]

Attachments

• 22402.jpg
    22402.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,999
  • 22401.jpg
    22401.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,996
  • 22400.jpg
    22400.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,995
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Day 225
Day 225
Day 225

Bessy-Sur-Cure to Vezelay
.....as I was passing by Monsieur et Madame called out, Voulez vous du cafe? Peutetre une omelette et du chocolat, et tartes et lots of friendliness and kind consolation. And then an hour or so passed and it was time to hike and soon I had arrived in Vezelay.....

Attachments

• 22503.jpg
    22503.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,981
  • 22501.jpg
    22501.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2,988
  • 22500.jpg
    22500.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 2,987
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 231
Day 231
Day 231

Months ago someone asked me if I might consider writing a little about the ins and outs of being a pélerine d’hiver. There were many things they wanted to know and every week or so I would try to reply but found I couldn’t. Having exerted myself to purchase gear, pack it, post ahead and then lug it all the way through snow I felt too fatigued to comment. Writing is a taxing pastime and so is walking in below zero conditions. By the end of every day all I could do was slump, sleep and eat. And when I did have the urge to write often it was frivolous nothings or irritating doggerel that appeared. Now it is spring and I am forced to be practical. The snow has gone, the birds are back and temperatures are soaring. Every day I have been wearing less and less and hauling more and more and buckling beneath the weight. So the other day I went to La Poste and in 5 seconds flat lost 4 kilos. I shed my cocoon of duck-down feathers and cosy merino wool and emerged a drip-dry pélerina. -Lovingkindness

Clothing for a Winter Pilgerin
I am reticent about giving advice to others on how to walk a winter Camino. What works for me might be inadequate for someone else. Another forum member, Silldolly has been collecting information on winter caminos. Check her blog.

Top half NZ Nature Co silk spencer (longsleeve, fast drying); 2x Icebreaker merino base layer (longsleeve); Icebreaker merino hoodie (lightweight, short sleeve); Macpac merino hoodie (lightweight, longsleeve with thumb loops); fleece hoodie (side zip, front pocket); North Face Summit Jacket (lightweight, not waterproof); North Face Gortex Paclite rain coat.

Leggings 2x merino leggings; North Face Trekking pants (heavy duty); Berghaus Paclite Gortex trousers (side zips for ventilation).

Gloves (various brands) Jack Wolf Skin duck-down snow mittens/gauntlets (best at -5 C or less. Excellent for warmth but retained condensation); Sealskins plus silk liner gloves (ok in light drizzle but not in heavy rain, zero to 5 C not very warm); Berghaus fleece gloves (5 C. and above)

Hat winter Buff cap; large Gortex wide brim hat (large enough to cover one buff cap, three hoodies and a jacket hood in -15 degrees celcius).

Scarf winter weight wind Buff; summer Buff

Socks woollen hiking socks (I’ve forgotten which brand).

Boots Meindl Burma Lady Pro (excellent in powdered snow and rocky terrain, like ice skates on smooth surfaces, very heavy and unbending on the flats, well insulated for below zero conditions). I am still wearing the pair which I purchased for Norway. The Vibrom soles appear indestructible and after c. 3000 kms are only a little worn at the heels. The leather uppers have cracked a little but the Gortex is still functioning.

Skin protection Paraffin based face cream with 30% fat; heavy lip balm

Attachments

• 22803.jpg
    22803.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 2,948
Some of your best photo's yet! SO happy to see that spring really is with you at last. Your now within distances that seem comprehensible, even to me. So here's to hoping that the passes in the Pyrenees are as open and welcoming for you as that last photo!! And here's to posting away excess weight! IF only it worked for the body too!! :oops:

Buen Camino, Karin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm blown away by the amount of clothing needed for walking in winter!
Your photos are exquisite! It's such a pleasure to see through your eyes.

Have we asked what type of camera you are carrying?

Love and warm spring hugs!
Annie

Félicitations LovingKindness, I'm just in awe when I look at the distance you have covered!
I'm probably not alone in saying that I am glad you checked in (I had been wondering amidst the silence how you were faring).

Wishing you strength, kindness and good weather the coming weeks.

Cheers,
LT

Lovingkindess it is so good to hear form you again and see these wonderful photos. In this last few postings I have many happy memories revived. Seeing the extraordinary colour of the Fosse Dionne - such a beautiful Lavoir. There is a photo of lush green crops with a road winding up the hill just beofore that photo. I have a very similiar photo of ripened crops - am I right in thinking that this was taken in the vicinity of Chaoruce / Bar-sur-Seine? On this stretch my son and I were puzzled as to what that crop was. It had a many little seed pod on it but we were unable to decide what it was - maybe you can enlighten me.

I only discovered the other day why the vines in this part of the world have so many white rocks carefully places around them - so different to Aust and NZ. Apparently it is because the white rocks absorb the heat of the sun during the day and then help keep the soil warmer at night.

Thank you again for sharing and I will take note of all you have said for a winter pilgrimage. Buen Camino, Janet

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi LK,
Like many of the members of the forum I have been following your pilgrimage – checking each day’s reports, from you and the others, all wishing you well, travelling with you in our hearts. Hoping you have enough to eat, and shelter for each night. You have met some amazingly kind people on the way and I am sure that this will continue. Your photos of northern Europe in winter are spectacular, and I believe that this will be followed by a wonderful contrast of the bright saturated colours you can get in France and Spain as the weather heats up. We know you have had a lot of difficult days over the last few months, in the most appalling conditions of snow and cold: be assured that all of us who have done the Camino, whether the magnificent feat of long distances like you are endeavouring to do, or the shorter ones like I did last year on the Camino Primitivo, all know the internal struggles that you are confronted with as well as the external physical problems of getting through or round what looks like a mud bath without falling in, or to find accommodation when the albergue is full up. We are with you every step of the way.
I live in the Aquitaine in between the route from Vezelay and Le Puy en Velay, near a village called Castella which is two kilometres from the ‘variante’ GR652, and probably half hour from the main GR65 nearest Lauzerte (which is the Le Puy route), and a bit further to La Reole on the one that comes from Vezelay but can’t think of the number at the moment. I would sincerely like to give you accommodation so that you can have a few days rest when you get to this region. I have been keeping up with your progress and know that you are in the Vezelay area at the moment, but I am not sure how many more days it will take till you arrive here. I have to go to the UK to take mother on holiday for her 80th birthday, and leave on the 11th May. If you arrive after this date my friends who live with me can fetch you from wherever you are, feed you up and plop you on the terrace with your feet up for a few hours or a few days, whatever you like. I won’t be back till the 30th, and I can only imagine that you will be well en route to St Jean by then, and it would be a shame to miss you. I will continue to watch your progress and hope that you make it before I have to leave. Contact details ...................
In the meantime, the sun is shining, birds are singing the wild flowers are coming out in abundance, and the temperature is rising. All of these things should lift your spirits. To everyone else who has been writing to LK, I believe that this Forum is a wonderful thing. LK is not on her own – many thanks to the creators of such a fantastic site which is a joy to future pilgrims, and past ones exchanging help and advice, and most importantly supporting Loving Kindness.
Ange

[youtube]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JtoYzKX-e2A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Attachments

• 23400.jpg
    23400.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,542
  • 23304.jpg
    23304.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,550
  • 23303.jpg
    23303.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 2,557
Replies...

Ksam: The Pyrenees? Who says I'm heading there?

Anniesantiago: Nex 5 camera. Thanks for the hugs.

LTfit: Sometimes I practice Silence for extended periods. I find it calms the spirit and aids problem solving....

Jl: Bar-sur-Seine is close to Abbey Clairvaux, I think. Almost on my path but not quite. About the crops, all the way from Apache (la Frontiere) to Vezelay I passed by crops of broccoli and grass. Until one day the broccoli turned electric yellow and the grass turned to hay. Perhaps your seed head crops were Rapeseed?

Ange: Aquitaine? Elinor of Aquitaine?.......

Attachments

• 23306.jpg
    23306.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,412
In 1559 l'eglise Notre Dame was partially destroyed by fire. In the 17th century 4 bays were rebuilt and a new facade added. Then after the French Revolution the first 6 bays of the Nave were converted into housing. In 1840 a Royal Road was to be cut through the Nave but Prosper Merimee convinced the King to abandon the project and classify the building as an historic monument .

Since the middle ages pilgrims have sought refuge in this town. Hence the name Charité-sur-Loire

-billboard notes

Attachments

• 23602.jpg
    23602.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,380
  • 23601.jpg
    23601.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,385
  • 23600.jpg
    23600.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 2,384

€60,-
...and just 10 kms later, Sancergues. Where pilgrims once flocked to an ancienne chapelle Saint-Jacques

Attachments

• 23801.jpg
    23801.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,364
  • 23800.jpg
    23800.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,369
  • 23704.jpg
    23704.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,373
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day 240

...un jour de la vie pelerine
2 pm or there abouts…..Somedays a pélerina’s life is mundane. It’s ‘another day at the office’, another 20 kilometers on a dusty road searching behind Silence for reason and calm, for beauty in tranquillity and solitude. But then a kind of craziness sets in and I find I’m staring at a fox as it eye’s a moulting blackbird perched with a white plastic screw top in its beak and, instead of diligently reporting trail conditions and statistics for the next ‘generation’ of hikers, I see white lace delicately covering an old wooden door which partially conceals a dusty deer’s head with tattered ears. A bulging planetarium grows algae beside the fox as its tail rests on a white Arcoroc plate, as a strident anti-smoking sign glares beside an impressionistic splurge beside a faux Van Gogh, as an ageing green ‘Sortie’ sign tangos with le ‘Toilette’ and I wonder why I’m here. And as I sit staring into space I am doing my best to conscientiously eat so I can conscientiously walk on a diligently signed trail, as a cerise-coloured cloth forms a beetroot-stained sea in a room crammed with tables and flowers. A crusty old man eats bloody raw meat stacked high on a mud pie of potatoes. He slurps beneath the gaze of a wall shelved with dolls in frills and bonnets and eyelet boots, as a silent couple silently eat to the rhythm of their own profound noise.

Somedays a kind of madness sets in, a different kind from the day before and everything familiar becomes a little strange and I like it.

PsThe old man had a moustache and two companions, lovers conversed noisily in the table next to the others, a fabulous aroma filled the bar and Madame et le/la chef were friendly.

-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 24003.jpg
    24003.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 2,351
Day 240 continued...

4 pm to 8 pm……Je ne parle bien le Francais. In fact I hardly speak it at all which is why I thought that tonight I would be sleeping in a bathroom on tatami mats stacked high beside an efficient wall heater. When I arrived in Brecy I had been handed a key to the community hall with detailed instructions including something about a door to the left. Swimming in hazy fatigue all I heard was ‘door’ and ‘left’ so that’s where I headed, out to a cold community hall lined with plastic bucket seats and exercise mats covering the floor. To the side were toilets and a kitchen bench. On the other side a tiny heated shower room. Sometimes surviving this life takes ingenuity, an ability to rearrange what’s on offer to satisfy a specific need. This, I think, is the essence of being practical. I have a sleeping sheet. I do not carry a sleeping bag. I cry when cold. In a split second my mind produced comfort and visions of dreamy, heavenly sleep:

Mattress + heater + an enclosed space = bedroom.

Or so I planned. At 4 pm the local dancing instructor arrived. Shortly after a stream of humanity appeared to jiggle and jump to a selection of pop tunes and soulful ballads. And for the next three hours I waited, bided time sunning myself till dusk, pleased, on lush verdant grass amidst daisies and perfumed, sweet lilac….until I was too cold to stay outdoors any longer. At which point a bunch of mothers and girlfriends and middle aged ladies arrived for circuit training. And I thought, hey, this looks like fun so I joined in, stretching and jumping and contorting myself…..all the while waiting, longing for bed and oblivion. And just when I thought I couldn’t hang on any longer, when the rosy, glowing women were about to leave, someone asked, Why did the pélerine want to sleep in the hall on the cold floor? There is a well-equipped [Gite de Pélerin upstairs with beds and blankets, coffee machine and books (+ fluffy clean bath towels + clean pillow cases + heating)]x (donativo). Just go through the door on the RIGHT, the door with the Compostela sign on it pointing LEFT, and up a flight of stairs to the attic. And then I wept, I wept for a thousand unrelated reasons, but not ‘til the last of the lingering dancers had LEFT

9pm... conscientiousness overrides sleep

State of the Trail & Statistics

Trail (Vézelay to Brecy): easy, well signed. The Compostela signs do not always agree with the map and commentary purchased*. Sometimes signing takes the quickest route along minor roads whereas the maps and commentary take the long way round on dirt roads and field tracks.

*Chassain, Monique. Voie Historique de Vézelay ‘Via Lemovicensis’. De Vézelay à Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port par Bourges et par Nevers en 36 étapes. 5th edition. 2011. (English translation available through the CSJ Bookstore but not in Vézelay at this moment).

Statistics: Refuge de Pélerin, Baugy : in 2010 one hundred and ninety-one pélerin overnighted -77 women and 114 men. Peak months were in May and August.

Gites de Pélerin: Arbourse, Baugy, Brecy. Excellent. In Arbourse and Baugy cupboards had food supplies for purchase (un grand Merci beaucoup!).

-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 24005.jpg
    24005.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,358
  • 24004.jpg
    24004.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,349
Gott sei Dank!! Just on the edge of "concern"...and all of those pics and prose!

SO...ya got anutha way from France into Spain besides they Pyrenees??? Taking a boat over to the Camino Inglese?? :eek:

Heads up if todays weather works it's way across...you could have a serious down pour in a few days! Or perhaps it will wear it self out over the Atlantic....leaving naught but breezes and sunshine :wink:

Wishing you a happy Easter Week, Karin

Hi, LK,
Your eye for the perfect picture amazes at every turn. You capture so much beauty with your clicks. Thank you a million times over. And thank you again for letting us follow along with you on this amazing camino. Buen camino, Laurie

Salut, mes amis.

Ksam: Bonjour, Buddy. You can keep the foul weather reports. It's sunshine and kisses all the way from now on in/out/south or wherever it is I'm plodding.

Laurie: Hey there, Laurie. It's nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the encouragement.

-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 24011.jpg
    24011.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,199
Day 243 chez Grandmére
Instead of racing round Bourges discovering St Jacques I’m lazing out front chez Grandmére playing with a pretty black hen that’s just laid an egg. The grey cat has just been fed but is too afraid to come close. It sits in the sun on a cracked windowsill monitoring the weeds and me. My washing’s hung out on a green plastic line in an overgrown yard full of trees. And inside the house with its old wooden floors, with its cupboards full of china and clutter, the rooms resonate love and a simple life lived amongst patterned wall-paper and friends: A mademoiselle poses in white shoes and hat beside an elegant car with large wheels (1932) and perched on the back of a large motorbike she primly clutches a man (1928).

Divine Providence has intervened and I have happened upon a local who takes pleasure in surprising pélerin with hospitality. She is unlisted. Usually Madame’s guests sleep out in the back yard in a caravan but at the moment it’s too chilly. I have been given the key to Grandma’s house across the street with instructions to feed three cats and a pedigree hen and to stay as long as I need. Madame is now en vacance.

Some days, most days dans le bois, out Bush/in the forest I have found it impossible to organise ahead or imagine the twists a day or a month might bring. There are too many variables. I am learning to trust, to live in the Now, to solve problems as they arise and not to fret about tomorrow. And now my life seems full of spontaneity and miracles.

The chicken is laying another egg.
-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 24200.jpg
    24200.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2,202
lovingkindness said:
Day 243 chez Grandmére
I am learning to trust, to live in the Now, to solve problems as they arise and not to fret about tomorrow. And now my life seems full of spontaneity and miracles.
-Lovingkindness

The cat looks like she needs to give this some serious consideration. The cat doesn't appear to be convinced...yet!

Very happy to hear all you to was the breezes! Nice that you have a tiny bit of space and quiet to simply be, without having to be on the road it self, at least for a moment.

Your journey, waiting impatiently for the next installment, has truly brought to mind the pilgrims of old. It just hit me full force this morning, what it must have been like for family members to see someone off on pilgrimage. The chance of never hearing from them again. Perhaps a word from someone who thinks they saw someone...but was it really? Simply watching them walk away and not seeing or hearing them again till they walk back in..what, a year or more later. Or perhaps never. The silence. Makes me very grateful I do live when I do!

Wishing you a lovely rest day! Wonder how those eggs might taste!! :shock:

Hi LK,

The green shoots of spring are finally making an appearance here in the Pacific Northwest (even if the foothills are getting snow flurries this morning). We are so craving warmth and sunshine here after the coldest winter on record.

During this season of growth and renewal, I wish for you days filled with warm sunshine, growing shoots, and glad greetings.

Thank you again for sharing. Your photos and descriptions bring back so many happy memories and my mind is full of pictures as I read. I just love the little refuges that the people of the villages have made available for weary pigrims. They are a delight and, compared to other paths, very cheap I think. Take care and enjoy being "in the moment" , Bon Chemin, Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life.

Welcome to spring!

Day 245 La diète crashe

When I depart Bourges I will be born anew.
I will be fresh-faced and striding at 6 kilometres an hour.

As every dieter knows rapid weight loss is gratifying. There’s something about reaching the first mile-stone which drives one on to a second and a third and, if ones not careful, that’s when mania and tinges of Anorexia emerge. As I walked from Vézelay to Bourges I began to think that perhaps shedding 4 kilos of swaddling was not enough. Flattened springs and seeping fatigue began to incessantly scream: GET FREE. So I mulled and evaluated cause and effect and now am assessing possessions:

*'soap' (500-1000 grams): plus many extras.....
[contents of my pack.....edited]

-Lovingkindness

Attachments

• 24001.jpg
    24001.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2,079
LK - I too stopped at this spot for a rest, but for me the grass was brown, the vines were green, and the tree provided dense shade. Keep storng and deep well - the sun will soon burn so strong that you will will be able to lighten your pack and discard your gloves and merino accessories.
Bon route, Janet

hola l-k
so no more gaggles about of late? the cat chez g/mere looked like it was the kind which hasn't quite forgotten they were once considered divine by humankind, albeit in ancient Egypt... long ago but did she come around in the end? You forgot to mention this v important detail!

that you continue to go well, and strong
Peter

Day 249

'Quand en Bourges faites que les Bourgeiosie’
I am sitting in a cybercafe manically typing. It’s festival time en Bourges and all the world is out on the streets partying as music thumps through the air but I’m stuck in front of this little PC desperately trying to download thought before saying Adieu to instant gratification and human attachment: When I leave Bourges, which will be any day now, I will not be carrying a Samsung 220 Plus PC or a pocketknife. I do not know when I’ll next have internet access.
-Lovingkindness

ps chicken fat wooed the cat ...

Attachments

• 24804.jpg
    24804.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1,867
  • 24803.jpg
    24803.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,870
  • 24802.jpg
    24802.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,882
Easter thoughts for you from home LovingKindness, where the colours of autumn are on the deciduous trees, and we know that winter is lurking ready to pounce with some cold southerlies. Every day lately we have been promised rain, but today has dawned with sunshine again and I am heading out for a bike ride to enjoy it. I am loving all your beautiful photos from France in springtime. Margaret

Wishing you a Happy Easter!! That last statue of St. James is incredible. He almost seems to invite you to join him. Buen Camino, Karin

€60,-
After rising early to play at the Dawn Service this morning, and then coming home to watch the televised ones at Gallipoli and Villers-Brettoneux my thoughts went to you as you make your way down through France - one lone Kiwi travelling through a country where so many of our country men were lost nearly a century ago. We have come a long way now when we mark today. All the young people shown were serious and obviously reflective, and the band at Villers-Bretonneux plus the choir excelled themselves, as did the three young readers. As our 2 countries reflect on the past and our contribution to a horrendous war, we also look to the future and pray for peace.

Unusually, here in SA there has been no early morning frost, or torrential rain, on ANZAC Day, and as you head out of that beautiful city of Bourges I trust the sun is warming your back and beautiful music follows you as you go. Bon route, Janet

Bon Paques/Happy Easter et Ultreia

Kiwinomad & Ksam: Merci beaucoup

Jl: ANZAC Day? I thought that was weeks ago, on the 6th of April.

I want my PC. I can,t think straight. I,m hunched over a public computer at a local Mediatecque and I,m having an anxiety attack. -LK

€60,-
Hi Lovingkindness. I am enjoying your beautiful photos and excellent writing. Thank you.
Sharon

Ok..you're once again my learn something new each day person!! I did not know that wisteria came in white! Absolutely love the water pics too. Glad to hear you had such good rest. You need to take care to finish strong and healthy.
Buen Camino, Karin :arrow:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back