• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Troppo

Troppo

Hi
I am a healthy 72 year old geriatric, from the Central Coast, NSW Australia. Planning to walk part, or all of the Camino early May 2012, starting from Saint Jean de Pied in France. Started training 4 days a week and so far on target, doing 5Km, @ 4% incline, in just over an hour. By the end of March I aim to be doing 8km at 8% incline. Am I being too conservative, or just crazy?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Troppo and welcome to the forum. I take it you mean 5kms an hour on a treadmill or such like with a 4% incline rising to 8kms per hour at 8% incline? If so, whilst I think that might be wonderful cardiovascular exercise such effort at peak isn't what long distance walking demands. Rather when you are ready get some experience walking over a distance - try 4 kms an hour for 3, 4, 5, 6 hours progressively - and then try it with a rucksack. Slower walking over more hours builds stamina, lets you enjoy what you see around you and also the many encounters you will have with fellow pilgrims.

Relax and enjoy! :)

A vigorous training program never hurts unless you get hurt. An 8 kph pace is 5 mph, or a twelve minute mile. Lots of occasional marathoners run more slowly than that, and probably need two weeks to recover! I have met a young Dutchman who walked that fast on the Camino, but no one else. You will be walking a half-marathon daily for over a month. The repetitive stress of such an activity cannot be properly described. You may be fine for a week, then suddenly no joint works properly. The cumulative effect can be quite surprising, even for repeat pilgrims.

So get into shape with whatever exercises work for you, but I suggest taking it easy on the Camino. Even if you have whipped yourself into shape, take the first week slowly, then build to longer distance, faster pace, and longer days.

Have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Falcon and Johnnie have suggested, I'd focus your training on endurance and stamina. Take the time to build up the weight in your backpack and build on distance rather than speed. One of the more important physical aspects of the Camino is your body's ability or inability to recover from the previous day's exertions. Hope this is of some help to you.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola Troppo and welcome to the forum. I take it you mean 5kms an hour on a treadmill or such like with a 4% incline rising to 8kms per hour at 8% incline? If so, whilst I think that might be wonderful cardiovascular exercise such effort at peak isn't what long distance walking demands. Rather when you are ready get some experience walking over a distance - try 4 kms an hour for 3, 4, 5, 6 hours progressively - and then try it with a rucksack. Slower walking over more hours builds stamina, lets you enjoy what you see around you and also the many encounters you will have with fellow pilgrims.

Relax and enjoy! :)
Many many, thanks for your suggestions. I think I did not express myself correctly. I should have stated that my aim is to be walking 8km in 2hrs at 8% incline (ie walk at 4km/hr and slowly increase distance and rate of climb). Unfortunately It is now summer in Australia and is easier to do it in an air conditioned gym. May be, a bit later, I will try sunrise walks before it gets too hot.
What weather should I expect in May over the Pyrennees?

[/quote]
Many many, thanks for your suggestions. I think I did not express myself correctly. I should have stated that my aim is to be walking 8km in 2hrs at 8% incline (ie walk at 4km/hr and slowly increase distance and rate of climb). Unfortunately It is now summer in Australia and is easier to do it in an air conditioned gym. May be, a bit later, I will try sunrise walks before it gets too hot.
What weather should I expect in May over the Pyrennees?[/quote]

You could always walk the beach: not too hot when there is a Nor'easter blowing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Troppo,
I agree with the others - better to focus on longer hours and build up your endurance although most people - including us old folks - do tend to build strength as we go and end the camino feeling fitter than we did when we started. This is one walk where the tortoise will definitely succeed. :)
Re your question about weather in the Pyrenees in May - generally it will be fairly warm and pleasant but sometimes it will be hotter than blazes and once I was further on (just out of Leon) and it snowed for a day (then gave everyone sun blisters from the heat the next day).
On average, temperatures in May range between about 8 degrees to 19 or 20 degrees (Centigrade) with an average of 10 days of rain in the month. But it can get hotter and colder.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back