• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble with accommodation in Armenteira

heatherisland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese, September 2023
Hi all. I am very keen to walk the Variante Espiritual and have booked accommodation for tomorrow to stay in Combarro so I can tackle the ascent with fresh legs in the morning. Until a few hours ago, I was under the impression that the albergue in Armenteira was municipal and that I would therefore be nearly guaranteed a bed if only I arrive early. However, I just read a review of someone saying that it is often fully booked and I therefore messaged the hospitalero to check for availability - and indeed his response is that it's full..... Has it become private? I am quite confused and disappointed...

The monastery does not receive peregrinos currently and all other accommodation nearby is full! Any advice?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found the same in April. Like you, I stayed in Combarra and walked to up and across to Villanova de Arousa in one day. It’s long (30ish km) but only the first part is hard/ steep. Stop for a bit in armeteira, see the church and tour the monastery if it’s open for tours. Have a bite in one of the two cafes. The take your time on the walk down along the route of stone and water as it is really lovely. The path flattens out and follows a nice river. There are several restaurants along the way.

Hi all. I am very keen to walk the Variante Espiritual and have booked accommodation for tomorrow to stay in Combarro so I can tackle the ascent with fresh legs in the morning. Until a few hours ago, I was under the impression that the albergue in Armenteira was municipal and that I would therefore be nearly guaranteed a bed if only I arrive early. However, I just read a review of someone saying that it is often fully booked and I therefore messaged the hospitalero to check for availability - and indeed his response is that it's full..... Has it become private? I am quite confused and disappointed...

The monastery does not receive peregrinos currently and all other accommodation nearby is full! Any advice?
Have you checked the Pousada de Armenteira? It's an upscale hotel and quite pricey but ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Uhoh. I’m a week behind you, but that’s an excellent question. I was planning to stay in Armentierra also.

We stayed at the monastery at Poio (just before Combarro) and then walked to Armenteria in the morning and on to an Inn at Os Castanos in the afternoon. The stretch from Armenteria to Os Castanos is in our opinion the best on the Camino, particularly if you keep to the right hand side of the watercourse. There are the ruins of so many old mills to see (30 odd I think).
The hill out of Combarro is not as bad as it looks. Tough initially but soon eases. There was an honesty cool box partway up. Very refreshing.
Good luck and enjoy

Hi! Our group of 5 stayed at Carballo de Prado 1900 while in Armenteira. It provided a pick-up n drop off service fr the monastery. Breakfast was very good. Hosts were great.
Attached is the car used with its contact number. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 17105D13-9F83-421C-A62F-CE9B948B675B.jpeg
    17105D13-9F83-421C-A62F-CE9B948B675B.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! Our group of 5 stayed at Carballo de Prado 1900 while in Armenteira. It provided a pick-up n drop off service fr the monastery. Breakfast was very good. Hosts were great.
Attached is the car used with its contact number. Hope this helps.
This is an albergué? Thanks !

I beleive this albergue has been leased out sort of and run privately but not a private albergue. So it's still cheap but booking necessary. Discovered this in may but luckily that Saturday night wasnt overly booked so we all hot a bed. Maybe the convent will have beds available or ask at the local bar. One constellation it is all downhill thru the wiids to the next albergue and that is a wonderful establishment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As Camino pilgrims from the Philippines, confirmed reservations for the accommodations on our itinerary were required to support the Schengen visa applications for 3 pilgrims without a valid visa (we were 5 in our grp). When I emailed the monastery in Armenteira for our reservation 3 months before our walk, I was informed thru email that the pilgrim accomodation in the monastery was already full n was given a list of accomodation nearby until I got a confirmed reservation from Carballo de Prado 1900.

I was there just last month at which point it was definitely a municipal. Given a choice I'd bunk elsewhere at this time of year as there was NO ventilation in the bunk area...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrived earlier this summer at the Armenteira albergue to discover it was no longer a municipal albergue and now required reservations--which we did not have. (I was fortunate to stay there back in 2017 when it first opened.)

Fortunately, the hospitalero was sympathetic to our plight and made a phone call to secure us a room above a bar/restaurant in Barrantes - the next town along the Camino. Here's info on the place: https://www.facebook.com/hospedajerusticooscastanos/

The downside was that we did not get to appreciate the beauty of the Ruta de la Pieda y del Agua since we hurried along it looking for our night's lodging. We shouldn't have hurried so much since Barrantes isn't too far and the lodging--while a bit more expensive--was comfortable and the restaurant served delicious food.

Agree with the comment about no ventilation in the albergue in Armenteira - think there were windows down the far end but people closed them - very stuffy. A row of bunks either side of a tight walkway. Some lockers/shelves between bunks. Be very careful in the showers, they are very slippery as I found out after I ended up on the floor grazing my back on the tiled lip of the shower😣

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back