• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui - O Porriño

Catarina Barreiros

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hi we walked this part of the Camino last Monday and we followed the green 'desvio' arrows since the path bu the Louro river is flooded and too muddy,
Since then the weather is much better since it stopped raining so maybe the path will be better soon.
Just to let you know!
Bom Caminho :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Noted it on my notebook.

Hopefuly it will be dry by mid June when I'll be passing thru. Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hear hear. We'll be passing through the last week of May. But I'm a little confused:confused:. I thought there were only two ways - the one through the industrial park and the "new" one via the river. Where or what are the green 'desvio' arrows? Hopefully by May all will be dry and I won't have to worry about them but just in case....
Thanks.

Hear hear. We'll be passing through the last week of May. But I'm a little confused:confused:. I thought there were only two ways - the one through the industrial park and the "new" one via the river. Where or what are the green 'desvio' arrows? Hopefully by May all will be dry and I won't have to worry about them but just in case....
Thanks.

I've seen something about this detour using green arrows. This is the new one near the river.

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Judydaisy!
You're right there are 2 paths: the old through the industrial area and the new one by the river. This detour exists maybe just now during the winter/rainy season, so probably in May or June this won't be an issue!
Bom Caminho :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We just passed trough the new path last week, there are no detours any more and the path is mostly dry

I like walking on trails. I rather prefer that to walk on roads or high populated areas. But I can't say that I prefer the detour that goes around O Porriño. First of all, there are no cafes, only some vending machines, which sometimes don't work. Then, you have to walk at least extra 3km. And when you are finally reaching O Porriño, you still have factories on your right side (where they make the hams and the chouriços), and highway part on your left side.

So, it’s kind of a thing that you have to choose. On wet weather, sometimes you will catch some areas that look dried, but they are flooded, and are soggy and in the end it0s just like a swamp.

If you go through there, take water, and something to eat, don't really count with some places to do your refill.

Walked through the river area last week...and it is most delightful. Yes, has some muddy and mucky spots...but nothing what can't be handled.
Was delighted that i could avoid the ugly industrial bits.
And there is also a cafe ...perhaps 30 meters off caminho road. Forgot name...but can be seen from the small main road. It is somewhere near the soccer field ( which is to your right)
They served good caffe and yummy cake/bread.
And the river path ends right at the albergue....where i stayed.
Has kitchen, but ZERO equipment. Hospitaliero was kind...and friendly.
Got some cold cuts/ bread at near by mercado and shared a bottle of cava with a fellow pilgrim..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you walk a very short distance from the albergue towards the west there is a great restaurant in an area which is known as Paso a Nivel.

Walked through the river area last week...and it is most delightful. Yes, has some muddy and mucky spots...but nothing what can't be handled.
Was delighted that i could avoid the ugly industrial bits.
And there is also a cafe ...perhaps 30 meters off caminho road. Forgot name...but can be seen from the small main road. It is somewhere near the soccer field ( which is to your right)
They served good caffe and yummy cake/bread.
And the river path ends right at the albergue....where i stayed.
Has kitchen, but ZERO equipment. Hospitaliero was kind...and friendly.
Got some cold cuts/ bread at near by mercado and shared a bottle of cava with a fellow pilgrim..

You can thank that to all the people who never clean the dishes and the kitchen. They want to end with equiped kitchens of the Xunta Albergues. It was Jose, from the Albergue in Porriño who told me that.

Yes, this a sad chapter of communal living...and i entirely get the point of the hospitalieros. They are not in the business of raising adults.
I am often in denial about just how unaware some people are. In porrino i was rather stunned that a blond german woman ( and don't bite me head off because i mentioned the nationality) left her entire rubbish of beer bottle, coke cans and scattered nuts underneath the bed... And left the disposable sheet and pillow cover on the bed as well...
I was tempted to remove it all so the hospitaliero would not need to do it...then reconsidered because i thought the hospedaliero might as well see who leaves the rubbish behind ( he knew who was in which bunk).
One could think it was perhaps her one-off action...but no such luck. Had the misfortune to encounter her and her friend again further on in another albergue, and she repeated that stunt without any apparent difficulty.
I do wonder though how life is being lived when ones action ( or lack of) require constant clean- up action or looking after by others. Wonder what might result? Several future lifetimes of servitude?
:-/
I for one would be in favour for having people sign a note of responsibilities while staying in a municipal albergue...
Spelling out things one usually learns in kindergarden...
Okay, off me soap box now.... But i really do understand why the kitchen was that bare. And what behaviour made it so.
Saluti caro diogo!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What worries me the most, it's that they want to take also the stove, and put a microwave oven has a replacement. Which, actually sucks because in my opinion, this reduces the possibilities for you to cook.

Say no more @amorfati1 , when you have a sign saying "Please turn off ALL LIGHTS when you leave the Albergue in the morning", and you find almost all the lights on, you see that people don't really respect the subject. I was the last to leave the Albergue in O Porriño, and it was I who turned off all the lights (bed by bed).

I had the same impression about how the kitchen was equipped and the cooktop no longer operable at the muni in Logrono back in 2011. A decision had been made to limit what kind of damage pilgrims could bring to the kitchen. Sad!

I like Porrino. All those acres and acres of Citroens, It's mesmerising, like a prayer wheel or something: Citroen, Citroen, Citroen...

Maybe it's because I live in the bush on the fringe of a big forest, but I always enjoy the industrial areas and urban approaches. It's interesting to see what people are making or fixing or storing. And you get good cafes, my fave being the big worker's cafe on the way into Burgos.

Here is an image of the route, with a great cafe marked at 4 km, excellent bacon roll for 2 euros - big enough for breakfast and lunch. And the other photo is of a camino amigo who stopped me to explain the 'battle of the arrows'. He said he goes out very day painting over arrows that have been blacked out. See my post for full story http://www.wp.me/p3azEo-Nk

image.jpg image.jpg

Urgh, i walked the industrial area because of all these confusing arrows everywhere. When i knew i took the old route, i did not feel like going back. It went wrong 'cause i was looking for breakfast, which i found in some sort of hotel. It was the worst breakfast ever. :mad:

Lucky for me i was there on a saturday, so it wasn't busy at all on the industrial area.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I might be entering Porriño in 2 weeks' time, and I want to double check about this diversion

1) where exactly does it start? Anybody has a photo?
2) where it starts, you turn left, is that correct?
3) once you choose the river diversion, are the arrows deleted all the way to Porriño?

thanks for any info!

There really are two desviations, the first one before the plogono industrial avoiding the Citroen Parking, the second one just before entering Porrino.
The first one is very wel indicated and you'll have no trouble following the arrows.
The second ons starts at the Peugeot garage entering Porrino. We encountered most arrows painted over inblack, but they were rather easy to follow. Anyway just follow the river and it will take you straight to the albergue at Porrino.
Both desviations start to the left.
Hope you'll enjoy

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
muchas gracias, juansofia!!!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back