• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tui to Santiago route

RussGianni

Time of past OR future Camino
April2024
Curios as to the terrain of the Tui to Santiago route. Will I be walking mainly on paved roads, dirt paths, etc? Through vineyards? And the series of small towns/villages on the way? Also anyone walking this starting April 26th? Have all my lodging booked, just wondering about clothes, shoes, etc.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The terrain is a mixture of all of the above, plus some forest paths. There's some steep inclines, and descents. The paths are mostly good, though I remember 1 day some uneven surfaces.
Wear good, sturdy, comfortable footwear, including socks. Start wearing them now, practice on different surfaces, and build up to carrying the weight of bag you'll be using daily.
It gets very, very warm. We went September and I wouldn't have fancied walking after 1 or 2pm to be honest.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The terrain is a mixture of all of the above, plus some forest paths. There's some steep inclines, and descents. The paths are mostly good, though I remember 1 day some uneven surfaces.
Wear good, sturdy, comfortable footwear, including socks. Start wearing them now, practice on different surfaces, and build up to carrying the weight of bag you'll be using daily.
It gets very, very warm. We went September and I wouldn't have fancied walking after 1 or 2pm to be honest.
Buen Camino
Thanjs for this! I really thought I would be walking mostly on paved surfaces, but now I know more. I have just purchased some very good running/walking shoes, Hokas, and I will be wearing them soon to adjust to this different type of shoe for me. I’m leaving in late April so I think I’ll be ok with not too warm weather! Did you just live this experience?

I found it to be a pleasant stroll. No real challenges, some nice towns here and there, a couple of options where one option was shorter but very urban while the other was slightly longer and less urban.

I managed to catch a street market the day before I left.
IMG_20230720_133138747_HDR.jpg

You will have lots of company.

IMG_20230720_140323976.jpg

Alcohol is cheaper on the Portuguese side of the border and so there are quite a few supermarkets just south of the border. May be worth walking across the bridge, depends on your own interests.

The first time that I came across a giant hibiscus flower was in Tui

IMG_20230720_122530892_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

There were other nice flowers along the way.

IMG_20230724_094911393_HDR.jpg IMG_20230724_100533796_HDR.jpg

My favourite spots were coastal towns like this one.

IMG_20230723_094606209_HDR.jpg

My favourite pastime was sampling the local pastries.

IMG_20230721_182233742_BURST000_COVER.jpg IMG_20230724_083042286.jpg IMG_20230726_114801544_HDR.jpg IMG_20230727_115510571.jpg

But overall, I much prefer longer Caminos but you, of course, will have your own desires and expectations that result in your own experience 💖

It’s straightforward, no particular difficulties that I can recall. The majority of the way is on paved roads or footpaths. Sufficient infrastructure / catering en-route. The last couple of k into Santiago is through a dank wood that (last year) was festooned with face-masks. Hopefully they’ve gone by now.

As you’ve booked your accommodation you’ll not need any recommendations, but if you’re staying in Arcarde the seafood’s excellent.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found it to be a pleasant stroll. No real challenges, some nice towns here and there, a couple of options where one option was shorter but very urban while the other was slightly longer and less urban.

View attachment 164995

View attachment 164996

Alcohol is cheaper on the Portuguese side of the border and so there are quite a few supermarkets just south of the border. May be worth walking across the bridge, depends on your own interests.

View attachment 164997

View attachment 164998 View attachment 164999

View attachment 165000

View attachment 165001 View attachment 165002 View attachment 165003 View attachment 165004

But overall, I much prefer longer Caminos but you, of course, will have your own desires and expectations that result in your own experience 💖
These pics are great! I arrive in the Portugues side a full day before i start the walk. I’m taking a train from Porto to Valença, then I will somehow find my way to my lodging in Tui. Perhaps I should buy a little bottle of adult libation in Valença? After all, I am celebrating my 62nd birthday on that day!

Thanjs for this! I really thought I would be walking mostly on paved surfaces, but now I know more. I have just purchased some very good running/walking shoes, Hokas, and I will be wearing them soon to adjust to this different type of shoe for me. I’m leaving in late April so I think I’ll be ok with not too warm weather! Did you just live this experience?
You're welcome 😊 yes definitely start wearing the shoes as soon as you can, building up to the time you'll be walking each day. I'm not sure what the weather is like in April. I'm from Ireland and anything over 15 degrees is very warm 😆 we were there September 2022

It’s straightforward, no particular difficulties that I can recall. The majority of the way is on paved roads or footpaths. Sufficient infrastructure / catering en-route. The last couple of k into Santiago is through a dank wood that (last year) was festooned with face-masks. Hopefully they’ve gone by now.

As you’ve booked your accommodation you’ll not need any recommendations, but if you’re staying in Arcarde the seafood’s excellent.
They weren’t there in December. I think that the final KMs into SdC on the Portugues is much nicer than the Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Russ
, It is an absolutely beautiful walk. This year I leave home 26th April, stay one night in Santiago and bus to Valenca , will stay in Tui on 27th so I start 2 days behind you, but I am also doing two very short days as I am now 80 and cannot do more than two days of 20 klms in a row.
You will really enjoy it. Look at how they use the granite!!!, even the poles for the vines are granite,
This is my 4th or 5th time to do this Camino
Buen Camino

Russ, Are you aware that on a short Camino like this you need to get two stamps each day. You can start in Valenca. The bridge over the River Minho was designed by Eiffel. It is two story, the trains go on top. Buen Camino.

Russ, Are you aware that on a short Camino like this you need to get two stamps each day. You can start in Valenca. The bridge over the River Minho was designed by Eiffel. It is two story, the trains go on top. Buen Camino.
No Lydia I did not know that. All of this is very new to me, and I’m hoping the company I booked through, Follow the Camino ,will explain all the subtle nuances and requirements needed! Maybe tell me how you went about getting two stamps each day? One at the beginning of each days walk and one at the end of the same days walk??

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe tell me how you went about getting two stamps each day? One at the beginning of each days walk and one at the end of the same days walk??
It's very easy to get two stamps each day. All of the bars and restaurants where you might stop to eat will have a stamp, as will churches if they are open. There are even people who set up little stands by the side of the trail selling Camino trinkets that have stamps.

Typically, when you register at your accommodation for the evening you will have to show your passport. I keep my passport and my credential together, and just pull them both out at the same time when I am registering. Then get a stamp when you stop for coffee, breakfast, second breakfast, or lunch.

It's very easy to get two stamps each day. All of the bars and restaurants where you might stop to eat will have a stamp, as will churches if they are open. There are even people who set up little stands by the side of the trail selling Camino trinkets that have stamps.

Typically, when you register at your accommodation for the evening you will have to show your passport. I keep my passport and my credential together, and just pull them both out at the same time when I am registering. Then get a stamp when you stop for coffee, breakfast, second breakfast, or lunch.
So it is my passport that gets stamped?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ohhhhh! Now I understand. I suppose the company that I booked through will send me my credentials. Thanks for your help!
Hopefully, they will. If not, you can order one from American Pilgrims.

Your profile says that you are in NOLA - you can see if the Southeast Louisiana chapter has any events that you can attend.

I loved this hike! I did it in 2022. Coming from flat central Texas there was a couple of days that were steeper than expected, but I just took my time and bought a trekking pole. Also, when I arrived at my hotel when checking in I got my stamp and then leaving in the morning I got one as well. Then I didn’t have to worry about my stamps during the day. Hope this helps! You will have a wonderful time and the Camino will take care of you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I loved this hike! I did it in 2022. Coming from flat central Texas there was a couple of days that were steeper than expected, but I just took my time and bought a trekking pole. Also, when I arrived at my hotel when checking in I got my stamp and then leaving in the morning I got one as well. Then I didn’t have to worry about my stamps during the day. Hope this helps! You will have a wonderful time and the Camino will take care of you!
Thanks! I’m a bit nervous about this entire experience, but I’m going to just trust that all goes ok. I have never travelled solo, but I’m not worried about that. I’m certain( and hope) I meet people along to way enhancing my journey!

View attachment 164995

View attachment 164996

View attachment 164997

View attachment 164998 View attachment 164999

View attachment 165000

View attachment 165001 View attachment 165002 View attachment 165003 View attachment 165004

I also like walking longer Caminos so i'am going to walk Pamplona to Santiago then bus down to Tui and spend 6 days walking to Santiago so I get a long and short walk on the same trip.

Thanks! I’m a bit nervous about this entire experience, but I’m going to just trust that all goes ok. I have never travelled solo, but I’m not worried about that. I’m certain( and hope) I meet people along to way enhancing my journey!
I’m so excited for you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back