• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two Interior routes?

DLJ

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the coastal route, but I am now interested in the interior route; however, there appears to be two interior routes, one starting in Tavira and one starting in Farminhao. Are there any guides to details of either routes, or does someone have current info on either of routes as to particulars?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, DLJ,
I have a vague memory of a route starting in Tavira, but think maybe it has fallen into disrepair. But I know nothing about one from Farminhao, though maybe Aurelio or another Portuguese forum member can help with these two questions.

To complicate things more, though, the "Caminho Portugues Interior" is neither of the two things you describe. The CPI is a route that starts in Viseu (or maybe you can start as far back as Coimbra) and goes through Chaves and onto the Sanabrés at Verín. It must be very beautiful -- I've read Grace's account here on the forum and am hoping to walk it someday!

Hi DLJ, you are after the CPI as Laurie has mentioned above. There is a ‘bike’ path from Farminhao to Viseu but it appears that most pilgrims start in Viseu as it is easier to get here from Coimbra. As at 2015 (when I walked it) the route was not marked from Coimbra so I took a bus from there to start in Viseu.
It is indeed a wonderful (but very quiet) and challenging route.
In the resource section you’ll find my trip report. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/cpi-camino-portuguese-interior-route-notes.441/

Since I walked in 2015, several others have followed so there may be more updates to my notes in the forum.
Cheers, Grace

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello DLJ, I add my recommendation to Grace's above. I walked the CPI (Viseu to Chaves) last Dec. after walking the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon and have to say it was the frosting on the cake for an incredible Portugal experience. I used Grace's notes linked above as well as expert "live" guidance from Aurelio. But you do have to be comfortable being on your own as there were maybe 2 others walking when I did but never saw them. There is a pamphlet available from the tourist information offices and there is a good website (link) or http://www.cpisantiago.pt/jornadas/passo-a-passo/ that shows the stages and profiles.
Bom Caminho!

Yes, I can say that Aurelio has already been extremely helpful! I've been canvassing everyone who posted on the Forum about CPI since I'd like to walk it in late August - Sept. Didn't know at the time that it is the hotest time to walk it. I do hope that someone creates a guide for the route since one of the most consistent comments (after its "challenge") is that they got lost. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back