• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two questions about Muxia route

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am planning to spend my second night on the route to Muxía in the albergue in Dumbría. Do I have to bring food with me? (I´m hoping I´ll have time to check back before leaving tomorrow morning).

My other question is whether it´s as easy to walk Muxía to Finisterre as it is to walk from Finisterre to Muxia. I walked the latter way a few years ago but want to end in Finisterre this year. But I am very good at getting lost and wonder if I should maybe forget about this idea.

Thanks, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie

Can't help you with the food question but I have walked Muxia to Fnisterre and it was quite straightforward and a very nice route.

See you soon.

John

ps - today is the day you were meant to arrive!

Hi Laurie
Dumbria is a 4* Alburgue in November I was the only person in the place,it has a kitchen ( lots of left behind food rice/pasta ect) and there is a small shop at the rear of a bar just 5mins away on the right in the village-a little expensive,they would not sell me bread saying it was for the bar only,had to settle for a white sliced loaf-there is another shop and all other things you may need including atm-but as its a lineal village maybe 15/20 mins away-best left till the Morning,
never done it but I should imagine the walk to Finisterre is harder with that large climb out of Muxia,
don't know when you last walked but you now have to get a stamp half way at a 100 yards detour bar in order to use the Albergue in Finisterre.
buen Camino
Ian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great lay out Laurie in Dumbria.
As Ian said the guy in the restr. that has the shop behind is a tad on the tight side but his place is very nice to eat.
Further down the street on the left is another grocery store , on the older style service.
We found it lovely to rest there as few pilgrims take this route.
It is a very classy albergue and has a great kitchen.
Has 24 beds and pilgrims without assistance are first cab off the rank.
Opens at 3pm.
They are strict on this and cyclists would not be seen there.
Lovely walk to Finasterre and make sure you get the stamp.

**I dare you to stay a night in Hotel Rustico Vinoteca with Lorena.
You will not return , lovely lady and abode.
Best breakfast we have received in Spain or France.
Enjoy the walk mate,
David

Well, thanks so much for the info. I am now happily ensconced in the amazing Dumbría albergue, all alone I might add. The polideportivo/gym/library complex next door has about 11 computers available, all apparently rarely used. I do not understand why people going to Muxía don´t use this place.

I met several Spanish pilgrims heading to Muxía and they had their stages set -- Negreira, Oliveiroa, Muxía. For me, a much better sequence is Vilaserio, Dumbría, Muxía. That gives you the two first days in the low 30s with a day into Muxía of about 24. The apparently "standard" way gives you an easy first day, with two long days afterwards. I found that having had a rest day in Santiago made these first two days very unstressful.

There are a couple of new places open along the way from Santiago, which will also make it easier to walk shorter stages. A new albergue right on the highway in Santa Marinha (about 8-9 kms beyond Vilaserio), and a pension about a km before Hospital with an easy way off and back on the Camino. I have some of the info and will post it later.

I am glad I will not get lost on my way into Finisterre from Muxía. I have been telling myself that I should repeat the "walk across the submerged stones" experience even though there is now a bridge, but I am pretty sure I´ll hop across the bridge.

So I am off to deal with the merchants of Dumbría.

Back in Santiago on Monday for two nights in case anyone else is going to be there! Buen camino, Laurie

After being locked in all alone in the Dumbría albergue, it didn´t even occur to me to put in earplugs. Bad idea. About midnight, I was awakened by incessant mosquito buzzing in my ear. So, no snorers but earplugs nonetheless. The rain was coming down hard and I dozed off hoping for a clear morning. I was awoken at 6 by rain beating against the window. aargh. But when I looked out the window, I saw it was water from the sprinklers. Sprinklers in Galicia??? They should forget about the sprinklers and think about window screens to keep the mosquitoes out.

The Galician sky is amazing -- today it went from grey to black to sunny to cloudy in a matter of minutes. I´m happy to say I avoided all the rain, the only downpour came while I was sitting in a café having café con leche about 9 am. I´m now in Muxía, and it is now a glorious sunny day, I can´t believe it. The 24 kms from Dumbría to Muxía are quite manageable. There is a LOT of off-road walking, kms after kms through eucalyptus forests. And the arrival into Muxía is very pretty.

There is now a private albergue in Muxía. I´ve gotten a tour from a friend who is staying there and its bathrooms and kitchen are the nicest I think I´ve seen in an albergue.

Tomorrow the last day to Finisterre. The end is near. Buen camino, Laurie

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Laurie,

Are you still around? Am in Santiago and heading to Finisterre and Muxia either tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday. Am tempted to stay another day in Santiago and soak in more of the vibe...arriving yesterday felt like home :)

I am curious what your thoughts are on Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia-Santiago vs. Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago since it sounds like you have walked both? I have been to Finisterre last year but it will be my first time in Muxia. I am leaning towards going to Finisterre first. Also, from the thread, it sounds like there are stops where food isn't as available? Should I plan on carrying food with me on any of the days?

Thanks and Buen Camino from Santiago!
Michal

--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Michal,

The Galicia Tourist Office in Santiago at 130 rua de Vilar near the cathedral has a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes FOOD shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is also most helpful.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hi, Michal,
Oh, I'd love to be able to meet you, but unfortunately I've been home since July 6. Still in that post-camino blues phase of the year.

I think there are two major differences between the two options.

First, if you go Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia, you will get a stretch on the beach before Finisterre that you won't get if you go Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre.

Second, some people have strong opinions about whether it's more "fitting" to arrive in Muxia or Finisterre last. Having now done both, I guess I agree there's something more final about being up at the lighthouse for sunset, but in either case the hard part is that it's time to start walking, whether it's in Muxia or Finisterre.

I didn't carry anything more than my usual fruit, nuts and yoghurt and had no problem with meals. There are plenty of bars and cafes. I don't think it's going to be a problem for you.

I don't know if this thread will help, but I wrote some thoughts up when I got back:
santiago-to-finisterre-and-muxia/topic14568.html

Buen camino, you're lucky to have more walking to do! Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
mspath said:
Michal,

The Galicia Tourist Office in Santiago at 130 rua de Vilar near the cathedral has a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes FOOD shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, etc. Their multilingual staff is also most helpful.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Absolutely right about the information. However the tourist office for Galicia is at number 43 Rua do Vilar (the same street as the Pilgrims' Office) and the Tourist Office for the city of Santiago (with a rooms booking service) is at number 62 in the same street.

JohnnieWalker said:
mspath said:
Michal,

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Absolutely right about the information. However the tourist office for Galicia is at number 43 Rua do Vilar (the same street as the Pilgrims' Office) and the Tourist Office for the city of Santiago (with a rooms booking service) is at number 62 in the same street.

Johnnie,

Whoops! Thank you for correcting my error. 43 Rua do Vilar it is. I hope to visit once again on my next Camino later in December.

Margaret

Thanks, everyone! After I sent the message yesterday, I went to check out the Galician tourist information so I was happy to make it just on time as they were closing. When I explained what I was looking for, they were very kind and let me get in just to get the relevant information. Then I got back and saw all of your messages and was reminded once again that you are never alone on the Camino, even if and when you walk by yourself.

I decided to stay an extra day in Santiago and am very happy that I did as it was only yesterday evening that I felt the entire me has actually arrived...so tomorrow, I will set out and start walking to Finisterre, this time guidebook-free and curious to see what awaits ahead.

Laurie, I can imagine what you mean in terms of the post-Camino feelings...having walked from Porto (instead of Lisbon), I just felt and feel I am just not done walking yet...well, are we ever, really? :)

So, I am looking forward to walking again tomorrow, and looking forward to some more reflection and quiet time. The last two weeks have been so rich that there was no room in me to contain it all, at least that's how it felt, so I hope to be able to put some of it together today and hopefully publish some writing, too.

Laurie, who knows, maybe on another Camino one of these days...

Hugs from Santiago- where it feels like home.
Michal
--

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
By the way, once I get to Muxia, I also plan on walking back to Santiago. Any thoughts on that? (walking vs. bussing from Muxia back to Santiago). I also know I might happen to be back in Santiago right around the festival, if I walk back, and haven't decided how I feel about that :)

Is there anyone out there who has been to Santiago during the festival and are there any suggestions/thoughts on that?

Thanks much,
Michal
--

Hola

By "the festival" do you mean the Feast of St James on 25th July? If so then it has already begun and is not to be missed imho. There is a huge programme of street entertainment in the run up to the great day. Bandstands are being set up all over the place for rock concerts and operatic performances. Orchestras literally set up and play in the streets. Conjurers, comedians, dancers, singers and string quartets appear in the little plazas all over the old town. Every night starting last night the Archbishop presides at the Novena Mass for the 9 days to the feast with cathedral choir and organ. On the 24th there is a magnificent sung vespers in the cathedral and 10,000 people gather in the square outside for a wonderful sound and light show culminating in a fireworks display like you have never seen where they re-enact the "burning" of the cathedral. Next day is more tranquil as people nurse their hangovers!

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hi micbook. nice photos walking s f m in the next 11 days done sanitago finisterre but not muxia going to take 5 days this time and enjoy a slower pace think left finisterre right muxia when its make your mind up time. :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back