• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

USA - So I just got a start date on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT)

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
Like, in the USA, the most popular hikes may require a permit. I know it sounds weird. But it is meant to prevent too many people walking through the wilderness and destroying the landscape.

I scored big time. April 14, it's a good date because it means I get water in the desert and less snow in the sierras. After that, well, I have no clue.

Just happy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's awesome. Congrats!

I'm an east-coaster so I'm more familiar with the AT. How long is the PCT supposed to take at normal pace?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Like, in the USA, the most popular hikes may require a permit. I know it sounds weird. But it is meant to prevent too many people walking through the wilderness and destroying the landscape.

I scored big time. April 14, it's a good date because it means I get water in the desert and less snow in the sierras. After that, well, I have no clue.

Just happy.
Can you explain that a little more, Damien. As far as I knew there had been no restrictions to the backpacking on the PCT itself, only to where the PCT crosses into a National Park or some wilderness areas which uses a portion of a trail system in that park -- like the John Muir Trail -- where that National Park requires a specific permit for a start date at a specific portal into the Park itself. There are about 35 (?) last I looked.

It had been that the PCTA was authorized to issue the Long Distance permits which bypassed the need to apply for permits thru those 35 areas. There had been no restrictions on numbers of permits issued based on dates of departure. The only rule was that each backpacker had to apply for his or her own permit even if traveling together.

Anyway, I am curious about what you had to do for the permit. If I decide to do the PCT again (wishful thinking, perhaps:) ) it helps to know what to look forward to.

Also, living near to Stevens Pass give me a holler if you decide you'd like a ride to a larger resupply point than what Stevens Pass has to offer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can you explain that a little more, Damien. As far as I knew there had been no restrictions to the backpacking on the PCT itself, only to where the PCT crosses into a National Park or some wilderness areas which uses a portion of a trail system in that park -- like the John Muir Trail -- where that National Park requires a specific permit for a start date at a specific portal into the Park itself. There are about 35 (?) last I looked.

It had been that the PCTA was authorized to issue the Long Distance permits which bypassed the need to apply for permits thru those 35 areas. There had been no restrictions on numbers of permits issued based on dates of departure. The only rule was that each backpacker had to apply for his or her own permit even if traveling together.

Anyway, I am curious about what you had to do for the permit. If I decide to do the PCT again (wishful thinking, perhaps:) ) it helps to know what to look forward to.

Also, living near to Stevens Pass give me a holler if you decide you'd like a ride to a larger resupply point than what Stevens Pass has to offer.
I received a long haul permit from pcta.org. People say you can also just get local permits to cover the journey. But that would mean a bunch of local permits and a little more effort. There are 50 long distance permits available per start day from pcta. There are two separate lotteries, one first for 35 permits, and the second for the 15 remaining slots. I came back from Spain too late to be eligible for the first lottery but I lucked out with a super lottery time for the second one.

You basically go to pcta.org and go to permits. Then you fill out an application. Then the day before the "application date" you get assigned a time to sign in. The earlier time awarded the better. Once logged in at the appropriate time you select your date.

Just happy.
Absolutely brilliant. I did the PCT in 2008. Then the CDT in 2012 and the AT in 2014, finishing on Mount Kathardin on my 60th birthday. You will love being away from civilisation for several days at a time before resupply with food. Have you decided on your trail name yet?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No social media, Gpx files or anything of that sort. I used to try and post a group email to family and friends from trail towns. Each hike took me roughly 4 months.

Just happy.
Damien! Its Beth from the Norte. This is so great! What an adventure. Im thinking Le Puy will be my next camno.

I live just northwest of Mt Rainier, an hour from Chinook Pass where the PCT crosses the road. PM me if you want a trail angel visit when you get to that area!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Absolutely brilliant. I did the PCT in 2008. Then the CDT in 2012 and the AT in 2014, finishing on Mount Kathardin on my 60th birthday. You will love being away from civilisation for several days at a time before resupply with food. Have you decided on your trail name yet?
Wow.. that is very impressive (triple crown!)...

I have a trail name that was given to me on the JMT... "Stinky Fish".

Stinky Fish , brilliant. Mine was Milky, I used to be a milkman.
I was stinky fish because I carried a lot of tuna packets.

I met a woman on the JMT my first time whose trail name was "Milk Carton". Her mom reported her lost to the authorities after not reporting in 1 day!

So I always tell my family... "don't call it in unless you don't hear from me for a week"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was stinky fish because I carried a lot of tuna packets.

I met a woman on the JMT my first time whose trail name was "Milk Carton". Her mom reported her lost to the authorities after not reporting in 1 day!

So I always tell my family... "don't call it in unless you don't hear from me for a week"

Attachments

• P1020758.JPG
    P1020758.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
Triple Crown. . Few of the Few.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Damien, first of all - "Buen PCT" to you :)
If you decide to write some sort of a blog, or just post photos somewhere, would you let us know? I enjoy reading your posts here, and the PCT is kind of a "would love to do one day, but probably won't for many reasons" thing for me, so I would love to read your experiences from out there!
Michal

Damien, first of all - "Buen PCT" to you :)
If you decide to write some sort of a blog, or just post photos somewhere, would you let us know? I enjoy reading your posts here, and the PCT is kind of a "would love to do one day, but probably won't for many reasons" thing for me, so I would love to read your experiences from out there!
Michal
Yah... i have time to think about sharing. but... omg, now i have to pack for the Mozarabe/Vdlp/Invierno. 2 days... (for packing).

Last edited:

Just happy.
Best wishes for a successful and rewarding hike on the PCT. April 14 should be a good start date. It's past the California rainy season but not yet into the heat of summer. Hopefully by the time you get to Donner's Pass, there will be minimal snow and and your trek to Tahoe will be less eventful than the Donners! ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yay on getting a permit date! :)
Enjoy the adventure!!!!

-
“Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?”
PCT Class of 2018 😎

P.S. for those interested:
Hikers can successfully complete the trail without getting a PCT permit from the Mexican border. It is just more hassle to register for individual permits through the desert section. :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.