• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trans Canada Trail

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Just in case anyone is looking for a really (really) long camino, let me introduce you to the Trans Canada Trail.

28,000km coast to coast - the longest network of trails in the world - so you might need to do it in stages...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those who might not understand about the trail… to say that one would have to wild camp is an understatement, and to call it a “trail” is generous in the extreme. Sometimes (for fairly long stretches) it remains as little more than a line on a map with no corresponding ‘trail’ on the ground. Sometimes it overlaps with the driveway to a farm or ranch… It can be Knocked out by flooded rivers, and it can be over 100KM between supply zones.
Like the Bruce Trail in Ontario, it really was not designed to be a through-hike. I’ve heard of people trying to through-hike the Bruce, but as wild camping is not allowed in most areas along it (there are a few exceptions, up on the peninsula for example), I shudder to think of how they are managing it.

For those who might not understand about the trail… to say that one would have to wild camp is an understatement, and to call it a “trail” is generous in the extreme. Sometimes (for fairly long stretches) it remains as little more than a line on a map with no corresponding ‘trail’ on the ground. Sometimes it overlaps with the driveway to a farm or ranch… It can be Knocked out by flooded rivers, and it can be over 100KM between supply zones.
Like the Bruce Trail in Ontario, it really was not designed to be a through-hike. I’ve heard of people trying to through-hike the Bruce, but as wild camping is not allowed in most areas along it (there are a few exceptions, up on the peninsula for example), I shudder to think of how they are managing it.
It is indeed a work in progress!

A few people have walked the entire trail however, so it is do-able. https://tctrail.ca/news/melanie-vog...coast-through-hike-on-the-trans-canada-trail/

But don't expect any little yellow arrows to guide you...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

You forgot to mention if we have to get two stamps per day on the last 100kms….🤪

Just in case anyone is looking for a really (really) long camino, let me introduce you to the Trans Canada Trail.

28,000km coast to coast - the longest network of trails in the world - so you might need to do it in stages...

JustJack,
If you write the term Trans Canada Trail in the search box at the top of this page you will find several forum posts regarding the earlier development of the Canadian coast to coast trail.

I knew a pair of brothers that walked Vancouver BC to Brandon MB. IIRC they started in April and arrived in December. They had two wagons/carts for all the things they needed.

I had clients years ago that were kayaking across Canada, when I met them them they were doing the Northern Ontario to Manitoba sections. They were doing it in 4 week sections every year.

And last month I met a couple that were halfway into biking across Canada.

I don't think I am built for those sorts of adventures but I admire people who are!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For a really impressive story about a journey that I don’t think *anyone* should try to replicate, see the geographer Adam Shoalts on his canoe trip — against the current — from the Yukon to Hudson Bay and Iqualuit: https://www.amazon.ca/Beyond-Trees-Journey-Across-Canadas/dp/0735236852?tag=santiagodec0b-20
I was as enthralled by his account as I was as a grade-school child by the story of the St. Roche ice-breaker crossing the North-West passage…
He has quite the mission, and an astonishing budget and set of logistical challenges for handling supplies, but I don’t want to spoil it for anyone… just go get the book!

I have driven numerous times from the Niagara region to Wawa and Thunder Bay, and I agree with the beauty of this trail you propose. But where are you able to stay overnight? The possibility of tenting is questionable because of wild animals especially bears. Hardly places to stop and get a meal. Nevertheless, if this is your thing so be it. I prefer the Camino Santiago. Oh and by the way I was raised in Northern Ontario. The best.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For a really impressive story about a journey that I don’t think *anyone* should try to replicate, see the geographer Adam Shoalts on his canoe trip — against the current — from the Yukon to Hudson Bay and Iqualuit: https://www.amazon.ca/Beyond-Trees-Journey-Across-Canadas/dp/0735236852?tag=santiagodec0b-20
I was as enthralled by his account as I was as a grade-school child by the story of the St. Roche ice-breaker crossing the North-West passage…
He has quite the mission, and an astonishing budget and set of logistical challenges for handling supplies, but I don’t want to spoil it for anyone… just go get the book!
Since the discussion has morphed into canoeing I am going to brag about a couple of folks from Manitoba (our home province). Victoria Jason paddled her kayak through the whole northwest passage as a grandmother back in the '90's. It took her four summers. https://glska.com/victoria-jasons-dream/
Back in the 80's, Don Starkell and his sons canoed from Winnipeg to the Amazon River. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Starkell
They make the Camino seem pretty easy. We have hiked small pieces of the TCT in nine provinces, but the lack of infrastructure makes the whole thing way to intimidating.

I have driven numerous times from the Niagara region to Wawa and Thunder Bay, and I agree with the beauty of this trail you propose. But where are you able to stay overnight? The possibility of tenting is questionable because of wild animals especially bears. Hardly places to stop and get a meal. Nevertheless, if this is your thing so be it. I prefer the Camino Santiago. Oh and by the way I was raised in Northern Ontario. The best.
I’m not proposing it. My observation is that you cannot really stay anywhere overnight…

Since the discussion has morphed into canoeing I am going to brag about a couple of folks from Manitoba (our home province). Victoria Jason paddled her kayak through the whole northwest passage as a grandmother back in the '90's. It took her four summers. https://glska.com/victoria-jasons-dream/
Back in the 80's, Don Starkell and his sons canoed from Winnipeg to the Amazon River. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Starkell
They make the Camino seem pretty easy. We have hiked small pieces of the TCT in nine provinces, but the lack of infrastructure makes the whole thing way to intimidating.
Always fun to remember that one *can* row to Santiago:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am somewhat familiar with the TCT, and have walked day-hike portions of the Bruce Trail since it passes within a km of where I live. Both are tremendous walks, but I fear I am past the age of being able to pack my tent and food for a trek of even 2 or 3 days. In my youth, I undertook canoeing trips of a week and more in the National Parks and Provincial Parks in Northern Quebec. And in the early 80's when we lived in Connecticut, we walked day portions of the Appalachian Trail not far from where we lived. However, since 2018 when I turned 66, I have walked the Camino Francés, the Camino Portugués, and the Via Podiensis. Many times while in Europe I have been asked by all sorts of international people who have some familiarity with North American trails "Bill, why do you come to Europe to walk when you have access to the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail?" I tell them my answer in one word "Albergues!" The albergue and gîte networks make long distance walking achievable for senior citizens like myself. The vast geographic and/or undeveloped expanses of both Canada and the Niagara Escarpment as described by @Perambulating Griffin make the development of such a system almost impossible for Canada. Kudos to those folks who have the strength and stamina to tackle longer treks that require wild camping. As for me, I am happy to have fostered a love for the outdoors throughout my life, and I am also grateful to the people of Spain, Portugal, and France for providing the opportunity for me (and, I presume, many others) to continue to enjoy and experience long distance walking, albeit with a soft bed at night, and delicious local recipes in which they take great pride!

Last edited:
Albergues! Yes… absolutely. And the food… and other features of material culture (that shifts and emerges anew) along each trail… and the peace of the tiniest churches and chapels, and the glory of the Cathedrals…

Every now and then I consider the Ste. Marie Among the Hurons pilgrimage… but between there and where I live there is little else to sustain one over the 2 weeks… and I am not entirely comfortable with that particular location as an end point. Also: bug season or winter are really the only options.

Surely there must be sections of the TransCanada trail that have hotels and restaurants approx every 20k? Maybe Toronto to Kingston?
And maybe a 2-3 day section of the Bruce trail?
I’m itching to do more Camino style walking but can’t afford another Camino for a while.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for this post and the subsequent discussion! I love stuff like this, not least as it is so far beyond anything I could do. I am scared of pretty much everything; snakes, bears, deep water, heights… I couldn’t even put a tent up! Not hear others stories is so great!

Surely there must be sections of the TransCanada trail that have hotels and restaurants approx every 20k? Maybe Toronto to Kingston?
I’m itching to do more Camino style walking but can’t afford another Camino for a while.
LOL. Nope. At a guess, I'd say it can easily be 100k between accommodations in some areas. Places *near* the Bruce are not on the Bruce and are in the towns nearby but well *off*... St. Catherine's, Hamilton, Dundas, Milton, Guelph... then nothing nothing nothing... then Collingwoode area... nothing nothing, nothing... all the way up the peninsula. There *is* some sampling, but that's fairly north... up Collingwodd and Owen Sound and on the peninsula....

LOL. Nope. At a guess, I'd say it can easily be 100k between accommodations in some areas. Places *near* the Bruce are not on the Bruce and are in the towns nearby but well *off*... St. Catherine's, Hamilton, Dundas, Milton, Guelph... then nothing nothing nothing... then Collingwoode area... nothing nothing, nothing... all the way up the peninsula. There *is* some sampling, but that's fairly north... up Collingwodd and Owen Sound and on the peninsula....
Sampling?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This (https://bottesetvelo.com/index.php/les-guides-du-pelerin/le-chemin-des-navigateurs/) might be your best possibility in Canada. I've google-earth walked it and there seems to be accomodation every 20km or so, although IIRC there are one or two 30km stretches. Friends of mine have done the Chemin des Sanctuaires, but it appears to require advance reservation, given the paucity of accommodation on the ground. French (obviously) would be a great help, but if you don't mind gesticulating a lot, you'd likely be able to manage it with only English-- in spite of what newspapers might say, Québécois are hospitable and accommodating.

Last edited:
This (https://bottesetvelo.com/index.php/les-guides-du-pelerin/le-chemin-des-navigateurs/) might be your best possibility in Canada. I've google-earth walked it and there seems to be accomodation every 2km or so, although IIRC there are one or two 30km stretches. Friends of mine have done the Chemin des Sanctuaires, but it appears to require advance reservation, given the paucity of accommodation on the ground. French (obviously) would be a great help, but if you don't mind gesticulating a lot, you'd likely be able to manage it with only English-- in spite of what newspapers might say, Québécois are hospitable and accommodating.
I've been reading about these walks but your link is the clearest explanation I've seen. My French is much better than my Spanish so that shouldn't hold me back but it's funny how we Anglo-Canadians are so hesitant to go to Quebec but we go to Europe all the time. It's really silly. Thank you so much for this link!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw Dianne Whelan’s documentary last night about her epic walk/bike/canoe traverse of the Trans Canada Trail. It is a wonderful adventure story and serves as a great reminder of the jaw dropping beauty of this country. Although very few people will attempt an end to end walk, I’d like to do a car trip along it doing day hikes.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.