• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Useful apps for planning route

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi Everyone. Wondering does anyone have advice on apps? I've been trying to calculate distances on Google maps but it doesn't follow the Camino route. Is there an app which marks out the route and allows you to calculate distances? I'm not planning on following suggested routes from guide books all the time. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Godesalco has the best website-based tool for route planning that I know of:

https://godesalco.com/plan

My app, TrailSmart, is excellent for planning on a mobile device. It's free with no advertising (only buying offline maps has a price, which you won't need for planning -- Google maps are built in). TrailSmart currently covers the Francés, Portugués, Primitivo, and Finisterre. It's available for iOS and Android.

If you are just planning from home, Godesalco should be more than sufficient.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It won't help you because there's distance and there's also elevation (up & down). Make your plan "on paper", allow 7-10 days plus till return flight and you'll be OK. If there will be too much rest days just enjoy them...

And Buen Camino

I use Maps.me. You can download the routes here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I liked TrailSmart as well. It is very full of options so play with it in advance to learn how to navigate the app.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of these, only Gronze.com includes the full Portugues. Buen Camino only includes the Spanish portion from Tui and Forwalk.org and Godesalco.com don't cover it at all. Worth mentioning, perhaps, because this is a thread in the Camino Portugues forum.
It is worth mentioning that the Camino Portugués (both central and coastal) is also covered extensively on the Wise Pilgrim site, and in English. There are plenty of to scale maps, and descriptions.

As the author I can also add that the Variante Espiritual is coming soon too.

I just downloaded Buen Camino the app. It's a free app but you might need to pay for the route info you want (I paid $8.49 CAD for the French route). It's really sweet. Shows you each town you're going to pass through, distances, some places to stay, things to see in each place you pass by, the amenities... I'm also going to carry the Brierly book but wondering if I can ditch it in place of this app - we'll see.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And it has offline mapping, so you can always check if you've gone astray. I've been using it for over a month and keep discovering new features.

While walking the VDLP this Spring an Aussie/New Zealander fellow(Hi Martin!) suggested an app that proved invaluable. "Windy Maps" can be accessed when in "airplane" mode. It can access any trail in the world. Problematic was to know exactly where I was in relation to the trail. It got me back on track when I took a wrong turn, or needed to bypass the trail due to construction, or quickly maneuvering through a town where the yellow arrows became difficult to find. It also can access all services in a given town or area. I'm certain there are other apps that have these same features, perhaps mentioned above, but Windy Maps was spot-on without needing to refer to a guidebook, or depend on arrows to get from point A to B.

Buen Camino

I have Trailsmart with the Portugues add on. Really well done

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But Google maps doesnt show the Camino path

Most read last week in this forum