• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vertigo

concepcion122

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and food. However, I experience vértigo quite easily and am wondering if el Norte would pose any challenges. I was absolutely fine on CF.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am vertigo-sensitive, but the only two spots which concerned me was climbing El Brusco, east of Noja-- just take the road instead; and the bridge over the Rio Eo on the Galicia/Asturias frontier-- I have always taken a taxi. Everything else was fine.

I am vertigo-sensitive, but the only two spots which concerned me was climbing El Brusco, east of Noja-- just take the road instead; and the bridge over the Rio Eo on the Galicia/Asturias frontier-- I have always taken a taxi. Everything else was fine.
That's so good to hear! Gracias.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My only problem on the Norte was the road bridge across to Ribadeo. It is very long, much much longer than the bridge across to Portomarin. And it was very windy. I took a deep breath, shut my eyes (figuratively!), put my head down, and didn't stop till I'd got to the other side. It was scary. May be best to get a taxi across if you suffer vertigo really badly.

My only problem on the Norte was the road bridge across to Ribadeo. It is very long, much much longer than the bridge across to Portomarin. And it was very windy. I took a deep breath, shut my eyes (figuratively!), put my head down, and didn't stop till I'd got to the other side. It was scary. May be best to get a taxi across if you suffer vertigo really badly.
Ah, yes, that Portomarin bridge really was a challenge. So maybe a taxi (or a shot of brandy?) Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a huge fear of heights - I have only ever met one person who has it as bad as me! Ribadeo bridge was my worst nightmare but I did it!

Here’s how

Someone did a video too of themselves on the bridge! It’s on the thread!
I too am fearful of heights and that bridge really, really, really SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!

However, I experience vértigo quite easily and am wondering if el Norte would pose any challenges. I was absolutely fine on CF.
There are some other parts where you can walk right along the cliffs over the ocean but there is plenty of room to move further away from the edge if I remember correctly. It was 6 years ago.

I too am fearful of heights and that bridge really, really, really SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!

There are some other parts where you can walk right along the cliffs over the ocean but there is plenty of room to move further away from the edge if I remember correctly. It was 6 years ago.
Yes it was a real ‘moment’ for me. I went and looked at it the night before and was full of fear. I was so keen to do with ‘whole walk’ I think without that motivation I wouldn’t have got across.

About a year after I was in Cuenca (non camino) and wanted to walk across the bridge but was too scared. Kids were skateboarding across, joggers, old folks pushing trolleys without a second thought, but it was too much for me. I guess I didn’t have to do it whereas of Inhad been on a Camino would have had to do it!!

I don’t remember any other moments so yes, they must be avoidable!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Do you remember if there are rail guards?

Do you remember if there are rail guards?
I think lt56ny is talking about the stretch between Galizano and Somo. If so then no, there are no guard rails. You can take the road (CA-141) straight into Somo, though.

I think lt56ny is talking about the stretch between Galizano and Somo. If so then no, there are no guard rails. You can take the road (CA-141) straight into Somo, though.
Shame about the lack of rails, as it would be great to access the view, but good that there's an alternative. I'm relieved to learn that CN is a viable option even with vertigo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am vertigo-sensitive, but the only two spots which concerned me was climbing El Brusco, east of Noja--
I have a bit of vertigo relating to heights, cliffs, etc. Like you, the only places I recall specifically was when climbing/scrambling over that same hill, and that never ending bridge into Ribadeo, which thankfully it had railings on both sides, protecting me from both the river and the fast moving continuous traffic.
As an aside, when my husband is driving over a big bridge or through mountains on other trips he always says "look out at the nice views", but even then I am still fearful so always look straight ahead. He doesn't realize I must be diligent to watch the road to help him drive.😂

Shame about the lack of rails, as it would be great to access the view, but good that there's an alternative. I'm relieved to learn that CN is a viable option even with vertigo.
It’s definately doable! My fear is off the scale (and impacts me a lot) and the bridge was the one challenge and that was it!

I have a bit of vertigo relating to heights, cliffs, etc. Like you, the only places I recall specifically was when climbing/scrambling over that same hill, and that never ending bridge into Ribadeo, which thankfully it had railings on both sides, protecting me from both the river and the fast moving continuous traffic.
As an aside, when my husband is driving over a big bridge or through mountains on other trips he always says "look out at the nice views", but even then I am still fearful so always look straight ahead. He doesn't realize I must be diligent to watch the road to help him drive.😂
I am same.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back