• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.
Resource icon

via de la Plata GPS track file 2013-10-28

No permission to download
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am starting vdlp tomorrow and downloaded this but hundreds of numbers came up on my iPhone. Perhaps my meager technical skills limit me?
Sounds like you opened the file without a gps app. Try opening the file in a specific app such as motionx or even google maps

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sounds like you opened the file without a gps app. Try opening the file in a specific app such as motionx or even google maps
I opened google maps and see no indication there is a way to download a gps file into it? Could you be more specific please?

Ok, that file is a.gpx file, the standard gps format. It can be loaded into a handheld gps or an app such as motionx gps. Options:

1 Look and see if a .klm or. Kmz file exists. It will open in google maps. You can also convert it with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

2 Download motionx gps app. It will open that .gpx file nicely.

3 (BEST Download the app maps.me. Download the maps of your area so you have them offline. Get a .kmz file and load it into the app. You'll have the track and a detailed map everywhere, all the time

Thank you for this GPS file. I've loaded it onto OruxMaps and it looks great. I think this will help a lot. I got a map of Spain from OpenAndroMaps and loaded it onto OruxMaps and then opened the .gpx file and voilà, it looks great! Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again, newfydog -- but to warn others who find this thread, that route is now out of date. I based my route on this and another gpx file I found online which were in encouraging agreement, but (as it proved) both are now wrong in 2018. Note the original post here was in 2013.

I ran the last 110km or so from Ourense to Santiago on Thursday. The first problem I hit with this route was that it crossed a new high-speed rail line; the official waymarks route around it, under a viaduct. The second problem came later on when again the official waymarks now point another way (but rather indistinctly), and this route becomes an overgrown footpath terminating in a precipitous drop to a new highway cutting! I had to crash through some woods until the bank got low enough to get down safely.

My story of doing the Camino in one day is here by the way: www.wartnaby.org/running/camino

Is there an up to date GPX file for the Via de la Plata? I'm restarting the route this week from just west of A Gudina.

Is there up to date GPX tracks available for the Sanabres?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.