• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

via de la plata

samba

Time of past OR future Camino
Francesca(2007),de la Plata /Sanabres ( May 2015),Mozarabe ( 2016) Norte (2018)
La Lana((2019)
i have just walked a small part of the Via de La Plata from Seville to Merida ,and it was tough .The heat didn't help ,44 degrees the day we(my cousin and i ) left Seville .The terrain is very harsh at this time of the year ,parts reminded me strongly of the inland parts of Western Australia ,where i come from .The first day we collapsed (ha !)beneath what looked like banner grass ,the only shade for miles around .Later on as we approached the first stop ,Guilliana the respite was more interesting ,under a huge fig tree alongside an equally large cactus . i will try and put up some photos .Despite the heat and the terrain underfoot being quite hard most of the time ,i found the walk really interesting ,more so than the northerrn route from St Jean ,which I've done .sections of the walk were like the meseta in their endlessness towards a horizon and sense of timelessness ,there were very few walkers enroute ,towns were varied and some fascinating in different ways ,and the people friendly .you need to know some spanish though .Hostels fine where we used them ,but stayed in nonrefugios too ,the most paid was 20 Eeach for a double ,and that was an apartment in the middle of the town and we had the use of the whole floor .Usually paid about 9E each a night

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi samba,
Haven’t walked the Via de La Plata yet. Have been a little concerned with the heat, they say spring is a good time, so considering it for next year. I was interested to hear you found it more interesting than Frances, I had assumed it might be less so. Did you just walk into non refugio accommodation or did you call ahead? Be nice to see your photos.
Buen Camino
Col

Hola, samba.
I can imagine how hot it was.
I walked the VdlP in 2006 to Astorga, and on to Santiago, and again in 2010 to Ourense to Santiago.
But my walks were in April and May. Spring bursting out everywhere, everything green and growing. There is lots of variety from Seville to Zafra, then it flattens out and the trees disappear.

I was seriously thinking about quitting in Torremegia because of blisters. I took a day off and then took a taxi to Merida. I mailed my boots home and bought running shoes, a size bigger than I have ever had. What a relief.

If you return, I recommend springtime. I have some spectacular photos of spring flowers. There were some streams to cross that were in flood which added interest. One fellow slipped and fell in, drowning his camera and cell phone. It was almost funny. This man worried about everything, and everything he worried about happened to him. He never got hurt, but lived in perpetual crisis.

If you get a chance, pick it up where you left off, and I recommend the route through Ourense.

Ultreia,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Hi, Samba,
My husband and I walked the same bit you did in early September. It was hot then as well, possibly not as much as 44. But we did collapse too :) We had to stop because of a knee of mine. We are very much looking forward to going back next year, a bit later.
We also stayed at a mix of refugios, albergues and a hotel in Merida... I can't wait to get back!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.