• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Romea - Stade (near Hamburg) to Rome

jl

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
Or also called Via Romea Germanica.

I am currently walking this route. It is very much a road less travelled, but peopled with the most extaordinary people who bend over backwards to help.

Here is my blog if anyone wants to follow my journey. The blogging is a bit spasmodic as Wifi is not always available. I am slowly getting it uptodate. It takes a long time to do a post - and particularly to do justice to the places and people I see. I hope you enjoy, and I hope it inspires others to walk this route. A lot of people have done a lot of work to get this route set up.
Buen Camino, Janet

http://wanderingyetagain.blogspot.com

Via Romea Germanica map.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Janet
I am so impressed with what you are doing together with the trouble you are going to so others can enjoy and at times commiserate with your trials.
Looking forward to reading more blogs. My 5th Camino the VDLP starts on 12 April, much less exotic but still about to offer its share of challenges.
Best wishes
Happymark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I must confess that until today I had never really thought about the Via Romea Germanica despite having walked from Canterbury to Rome a little further to the west on the Via Francigena. A funny news story today led me to looking it up online. An interesting route and one I will be thinking about for the future. You might be amused to read about an unusual group of pilgrims who have been some way ahead of you and reached St Peter's today :) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...mes-face-face-shaggy-llamas-middle-st-peters/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will probably see double headed eagles along the via Romea but what's with this three legged creature you've adopted? Is that a chicken or an eagle?

Neither :) I've just returned home after walking the Shikoku 88 temple pilgrimage and the Nakahechi Kumano Kodo in Japan. The symbol for the Kumano Kodo routes is Yatagarasu: a mythical three-legged crow that is a messenger for the gods. The image is everywhere. People who have walked both a Camino and one of the Kumano Kodo routes are given a badge with a scallop shell and Yatagarasu on it. I decided to change my avatar so that I would constantly remind myself of a journey that I really enjoyed :)

dual-pilgrim.gif

Great photos and a terrific blog @jl and you have me thinking that if I can successfully tackle the VdlP this year, next year I may think about a route outside Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back