• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vicious dog around Pajares/San Miguel del Rio?

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
Last year at least three pilgrims had a vicious dog encounter after Puerto de Pajares - all three with one of those giant Spanish mastiffs guarding livestock. Mine was in May just after I passed through Pajares and made the left off of the small section of highway onto the tractor track. Another was on the walk to San Miguel del Rio, and a third happened somewhere near there where the pilgrim was actually bitten - these two were Sept/Oct. Ender and the police were involved, but I never heard if there was a resolution.

For those that have walked recently, has there been an issue? I'm returning to walk the San Salvador/Primitivo combination in May, and would like to avoid this situation again, for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
Bob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year at least three pilgrims had a vicious dog encounter after Puerto de Pajares - all three with one of those giant Spanish mastiffs guarding livestock. Mine was in May just after I passed through Pajares and made the left off of the small section of highway onto the tractor track. Another was on the walk to San Miguel del Rio, and a third happened somewhere near there where the pilgrim was actually bitten - these two were Sept/Oct. Ender and the police were involved, but I never heard if there was a resolution.

For those that have walked recently, has there been an issue? I'm returning to walk the San Salvador/Primitivo combination in May, and would like to avoid this situation again, for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
Bob
Oh, I hadn’t heard that. I was actually bitten by a collie dog owned not wild but loose in village in Benduenos in late September last year. Police reported and I understand the dog was removed. I’m walking later in April and slightly apprehensive of the dogs! Now….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry to hear about your incident Lynn (I’m guessing you were the person I was referring to in my original post - I didn’t have other details). It’s good to know that’s been dealt with, especially since we plan to go to Sandra’s along the way. I do recall a huge Spanish mastiff just before her place that scared me given the earlier incident, but he was a big, lovable oaf :)

Tom - thanks for the recent report! That makes me feel better. The one I had my issue with came across a field and went right under the fence to charge at me. This was just after town when you make the left.

Bob

Sorry to hear about your incident Lynn (I’m guessing you were the person I was referring to in my original post - I didn’t have other details). It’s good to know that’s been dealt with, especially since we plan to go to Sandra’s along the way. I do recall a huge Spanish mastiff just before her place that scared me given the earlier incident, but he was a big, lovable oaf :)

Tom - thanks for the recent report! That makes me feel better. The one I had my issue with came across a field and went right under the fence to charge at me. This was just after town when you make the left.

Bob
Sandra was really amazing and helpful and so caring . Such a beautiful albergue and church. The whole village was terrorised by the dog and nasty owner who mistreated the dog , so I hope it remained sorted, that at least the dog wasn’t returned. Lynn

Encountered such a dog in the route heading down into the valley after Pajares and before the ascent to LLanes de Somerón. November '22.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The whole village was terrorised by the dog and nasty owner who mistreated the dog

I've brought back 4 dogs from Spain including a mastiff. The good news is that with the right owners, the dogs turn out to be the sweetest pets - even the mastiff. We've seen it sitting on the back of a grasscutter while the new owner mows the park.

They say there are no bad dogs, only bad owners

Encountered such a dog in the route heading down into the valley after Pajares and before the ascent to LLanes de Somerón. November '22.
I've brought back 4 dogs from Spain including a mastiff. The good news is that with the right owners, the dogs turn out to be the sweetest pets - even the mastiff. We've seen it sitting on the back of a grasscutter while the new owner mows the park.

They say there are no bad dogs, only bad owners
I completely agree - as does Sandra at Bendueños. That's exactly why the mastiff by her place was a great big lovable boy, versus the others that she said get no love and are just there to ward off the wolves or anything they view as prey for their livestock.

I completely agree - as does Sandra at Bendueños. That's exactly why the mastiff by her place was a great big lovable boy, versus the others that she said get no love and are just there to ward off the wolves or anything they view as prey for their livestock.
I agree with the principle, but in practice… I wish I had known about that dog; I’d have gone the alternate route. I was lucky that there was a very tall young man who went between me and the dog and we both averted our gaze, went very slowly and avoided an attack from the snarling dog. The next person to pass was not so aware of how to handle dogs and was chased into a ditch, fell and hurt his knee, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looking at Gronze I don’t see an alternate route out of Pajares. What am I missing?.
Before you reach Pajares, after Puerto de Pajares. You will come down from a big green field, cross the highway and rejoin a footpath on the opposite side. Then after following the footpath, you will see a wooden signpost which indicates 2 options: via San Miguel del Rio or Pajares.

For those who do a longer stage on this day (like to finish in Llanos de Someron or Benduenos), the San Miguel del Rio option is shorter. But from anecdotal pilgrim reports last year, the encounter with vicious dog seemed to be when taking the San Miguel del Rio option.

IMG_5276.jpgIMG_5279.jpgIMG_5285.jpg

Unfortunately, my bad experience was just on the far side of Pajares just after I left town. Another pilgrim had his bad experience on the path to San Miguel del Rio. @Perambulating Griffin - where was your encounter?

I’m trying to get an update from walkers this year to see if there’s been a more recent issue.

Thanks!
Bob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looking at Gronze I don’t see an alternate route out of Pajares. What am I missing?.
Instead of going to Llanes one can go to Puente. It requires re-arranging your travels a bit, BUT, were I doing this again, and were I to be alone, being a very small person and having a history of having been mauled by a dog when I was a child, I would stop on the previous night in Buiza, and would go through Pajares for lunch and head to the right to Puente and continue to Herias for my next night. The San Miguel Route was beautiful, but at this age, had I been chased and fallen into a ditch, I think I’d have been bussing to Oviedo…
Others may feel more confident, or less concerned… but this is a *big* dog. It weighs as much or more than I do. It’s just doing its job… and part of its job is to keep me away from its herd of whatever it is. Honestly, I was so attentive to not raising its ire any further that I do not know if it had sheep or cattle in its charge.

Instead of going to Llanes one can go to Puente. It requires re-arranging your travels a bit, BUT, were I doing this again, and were I to be alone, being a very small person and having a history of having been mauled by a dog when I was a child, I would stop on the previous night in Buiza, and would go through Pajares for lunch and head to the right to Puente and continue to Herias for my next night. The San Miguel Route was beautiful, but at this age, had I been chased and fallen into a ditch, I think I’d have been bussing to Oviedo…
Others may feel more confident, or less concerned… but this is a *big* dog. It weighs as much or more than I do. It’s just doing its job… and part of its job is to keep me away from its herd of whatever it is. Honestly, I was so attentive to not raising its ire any further that I do not know if it had sheep or cattle in its charge.
Thanks for this info - I may use this track instead as I go through the area with my wife in a few weeks.

Just to be sure, this occurred just after you left Pajares?

Thanks for this info - I may use this track instead as I go through the area with my wife in a few weeks.

Just to be sure, this occurred just after you left Pajares?
yes. down in the green, lush valley.... probably an hour?? after leaving Pajares. I really cannot be sure of the time beyond now... walking something like 4.5-5.5 K per hour. It was after I'd met the very nice dogs on a ridge beyond the highway crossing. They were doing their jobs and paid us not too much notice. The young man who waited for me at the big dog was a reasonable distance ahead of me and I do not know how far behind me the next walkers were. From the ridge one makes a few ups and downs and then descends into a narrow valley... and there was the dog.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Instead of going to Llanes one can go to Puente. It requires re-arranging your travels a bit, BUT, were I doing this again, and were I to be alone, being a very small person and having a history of having been mauled by a dog when I was a child, I would stop on the previous night in Buiza, and would go through Pajares for lunch and head to the right to Puente and continue to Herias for my next
Ok thanks - I guess you mean walking along the road to Puente .I love most dogs but I’m small and not so young and am very scared of aggressive dogs. What a pity to miss out on even a few kilometres of a beautiful path but I guess better safe than sorry .

Ok thanks - I guess you mean walking along the road to Puente .I love most dogs but I’m small and not so young and am very scared of aggressive dogs. What a pity to miss out on even a few kilometres of a beautiful path but I guess better safe than sorry .
Yes, it's a personal choice, and I suppose I have my pick because I've seen the beautiful path, and managed not to be mauled, but that was luck. If I do the walk again (I can't believe I'm thinking of it), I will go the road route. TBH, green hills and valleys get really tedious to me after a while, so I don't mind road-walking. But I also groove on ugly entries into urban areas, and was literally sick to death of cows and goats and pastures after 10 days in a row of that last fall, having left from Leon on the Salvador and then going on the Primitovo from Oviedo. I wish I'd had time to spend more time in the larger centres (Tineo and Fonsagrada) before Lugo.
Like, yes... the views are beautiful... but I can see very similar views pretty close to home. And I can see cows and goats by walking out my door...
Heading back to the Primitivo soon (weather and fires permitting) and I will spend time in those small urbanised areas, visiting the churches, the museums, etc. There are some good ones and I had to miss out last year.
Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a personal choice, and I suppose I have my pick because I've seen the beautiful path, and managed not to be mauled, but that was luck. If I do the walk again (I can't believe I'm thinking of it), I will go the road route. TBH, green hills and valleys get really tedious to me after a while, so I don't mind road-walking. But I also groove on ugly entries into urban areas, and was literally sick to death of cows and goats and pastures after 10 days in a row of that last fall, having left from Leon on the Salvador and then going on the Primitovo from Oviedo. I wish I'd had time to spend more time in the larger centres (Tineo and Fonsagrada) before Lugo.
Like, yes... the views are beautiful... but I can see very similar views pretty close to home. And I can see cows and goats by walking out my door...
Heading back tot the Primitivo soon (weather and fires permitting) and I will spend time in those small urbanised areas, visiting the churches, the museums, etc. There are some good ones and I had to miss out last year.
Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time.
Thanks PG - I love every moment, and agree that the industrial grunge on the edges of cities is interesting too and would not avoid them.
This comment below appeared just now in a post (on a FB site ) asking about the same dog just out of Pajares.
Not sure it’s worth testing.
Buen Camino
….
“This mastiff have been living there. It's a working dog, and usually barks to every single person who walks down that narrow way. If he is at the left of the fence you are absolutely safe. If it is at the right part and starts barking think twice before going on.
That said, I'd never had problem with that or other sheppar dog. They barks in advice and I take thise bark just like its are.
Good luck and Buen Camino. “

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks PG - I love every moment, and agree that the industrial grunge on the edges of cities is interesting too and would not avoid them.
This comment below appeared just now in a post (on a FB site ) asking about the same dog just out of Pajares.
Not sure it’s worth testing.
Buen Camino
….
“This mastiff have been living there. It's a working dog, and usually barks to every single person who walks down that narrow way. If he is at the left of the fence you are absolutely safe. If it is at the right part and starts barking think twice before going on.
That said, I'd never had problem with that or other sheppar dog. They barks in advice and I take thise bark just like its are.
Good luck and Buen Camino. “
Interesting, and yes... it was on the right hand side of the path when it just lost its mind at us.

Maybe my recollection is fuzzy, but my encounter was immediately after Pajares - just after you left the 50m of highway on the far side of town. So, the “Invierno Route” isn’t an option because that looks like it’s well beyond Pajares.

PG’s incident does sound like it was further on.

And yes, that’s me on the FB page. I’m hoping that I can avoid this dog by walking early in the morning - perhaps the livestock it’s protecting will be in a different field.

To be sure, many people walk this way without incident. I’m a planner - and just wanted to get any updates.

Hopefully we’ll have no issues. I suspect that if we’re in a group, issues are leas likely (I was alone last year).

Buen Camino all - I hope this doesn’t turn anyone completely off of doing this amazing Camino!

Bob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe my recollection is fuzzy, but my encounter was immediately after Pajares - just after you left the 50m of highway on the far side of town. So, the “Invierno Route” isn’t an option because that looks like it’s well beyond Pajares.

PG’s incident does sound like it was further on.

And yes, that’s me on the FB page. I’m hoping that I can avoid this dog by walking early in the morning - perhaps the livestock it’s protecting will be in a different field.

To be sure, many people walk this way without incident. I’m a planner - and just wanted to get any updates.

Hopefully we’ll have no issues. I suspect that if we’re in a group, issues are leas likely (I was alone last year).

Buen Camino all - I hope this doesn’t turn anyone completely off of doing this amazing Camino!

Bob
Trouble is you can’t plan totally for these kind of things . As another dog might appear elsewhere on routes walked by pilgrims etc changing situation with the dogs. I was bitten by an owners dog and I liked dogs and didn’t act aggressive or have any sticks and didn’t threaten his territory , dog just circled and bit me on the leg. Nothing you could do. It happens rarely I’m sure. Can happen in any country or walking routes . Mostly it is only barking and no contact ever if very rarely happens. I’ve never met another pilgrim who has been bitten. . And I have been barked at and followed and felt apprehensive by the large livestock farmers dogs quite a few times on various routes but it was a collie owned that got me! Not sure I’m helping this tread!!
But it is not stopping me walking Caminos this year at all. I just might need extra underwear this walk! Sorry! Bien camino!

I am... and I guess on balance, I'd go that way if alone rather than face *that* dog.
Looking at the route Ender describes more closely, though, it goes from Pajares down to San Miguel del Río anyway, and then over to Puente de Fierros. The dog @BobY333 saw was soon after getting off the road in Pajares pueblo and starting down to San Miguel. If I’m right about that, you won’t avoid the place where the dog was last seen, at least not by following the route he describes as the Invierno option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looking at the route Ender describes more closely, though, it goes from Pajares down to San Miguel del Río anyway, and then over to Puente de Fierros. The dog @BobY333 saw was soon after getting off the road in Pajares pueblo and starting down to San Miguel. If I’m right about that, you won’t avoid the place where the dog was last seen, at least not by following the route he describes as the Invierno option.
Hmmm. Perhaps one ought to try to walk at least in pairs for a while until one gets past the lone dog.

I would never go in that spot alone again, especially as I am smaller than that dog.

I would never go in that spot alone again, especially as I am smaller than that dog.

Well, I think there is another option, but the person who has walked it says it is not signed, not maintained, and very rarely used. Check out this wikiloc track, which goes from the town of Pajares, up to the right off the N-630, and then down to Puente de los Fierros.

I found the track on wikiloc and then messaged the author for more info.

I think it’s obvious that you would need the tracks to walk this route, and be prepared for lots of bushwhacking!

Thank you Laurie for hunting this down. I've saved it into Wikiloc and will only use it if the beast decides to block our way - I don't want to have to walk back up and around to San Miguel! I suppose a complete bail-out would be to get a taxi/ride to Puente de los Fierros

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Laurie for hunting this down. I've saved it into Wikiloc and will only use it if the beast decides to block our way - I don't want to have to walk back up and around to San Miguel! I suppose a complete bail-out would be to get a taxi/ride to Puente de los Fierros
Do update us after you walk by the spot... I'm walking solo in June and a bit concerned about this dog. Thx.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I passed through the place 2 days ago where people have commented on the vicious dog. I saw no signs of it. However, there are 3 dogs who came from under a fence to skirt around me at the bottom of the "wolf road" up to Buiza. I don't think they are a problem - they were just doing their job, barking and seeing me off. I gave them a wide berth, talked gently to them, avoided eye contact, and kept walking. My advice is to use non- threatening body language while trying not to show fear (although it can be terrifying).

I met two big barking dogs there in August when I was walking the Salvador: they were inside a village, in one of the little streets.
Nothing happen but it was quite surprising meeting such kind of dogs on the Camino: events like this show that the Salvador is not as busy as the Francés !

Hi, I passed through the place 2 days ago where people have commented on the vicious dog. I saw no signs of it. However, there are 3 dogs who came from under a fence to skirt around me at the bottom of the "wolf road" up to Buiza. I don't think they are a problem - they were just doing their job, barking and seeing me off. I gave them a wide berth, talked gently to them, avoided eye contact, and kept walking. My advice is to use non- threatening body language while trying not to show fear (although it can be terrifying).
Yeah, those are not the dogs... I met them too. The lone dog I am thinking of was threatening with all the non-confrontational behaviours in full play from the humans. My walking companion on the day was a guy from rural Portugal, used to such dogs, and even he was rattled. A pilgrim who was about an hour or so behind us told us later at the albergue that the dog chased him into a ditch quite full of water and rocks and he was quite injured one his knees from falling in the rocks...

There are working dogs all over the place in Asturias. The one dog of concern really has zero socialisation...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today I’m in Llanos de Someron, albergue Cascoxu. Took the San Miguel route. No encounter with the dog. Only cows, horses and chickens along the way. Albergue Cascoxu is great, warm welcome, new, all facilities, great diner and breakfast.
totally agree about the albergue. There was a wonderful communal meal for supper, a sunny patio, laundry service provided (so appreciated in the shoulder season when it cools too early to dry clothes at the end of the day). Lovely bathrooms, kitchen if one wishes to cook one's own (though one would have to have carted it all the way from Buiza!)...

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.