• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vigo to Porrino?

Zeke2320

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
I’m flying into Vigo to meet a group of friends on the Camino Portuguese. I arrive around 17:00 and they will be in Porrino that evening. Next day they continue on to Redondela. How should I best meet up with the group?

I could easily take a cab direct from the airport to Porrino, but is there a better way that allows me to do some sightseeing and hiking the day I arrive? Could I poke around the Vigo port and then hike from there to Porrino? Or do I need to take a taxi to somewhere along the central route?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The airport is closer to Porrino than Vigo so from a practical point of view a taxi to Porrino would be better.

If you want to sightsee Vigo, there is no direct route from there to Porrino though you can walk it but a lot the journey will through the Vigo suburbs. With no regular signposting you'll need to use maps or GPS. I've cycled between the two and it's a slog getting out of Vigo as a lot of it is hilly. The reward though is a great bakery/cafe (Molares) on the N505 with a little dachshund which amusingly chases cyclists but not cars or people. My GPS track for the journey says 9 miles and 1300 ft climb. All on road.

The conventional way is to go to Vigo, and then take the Camino Portuguese route through the forest route to Redondela which allows you great views of the estuary and a much easier walk towards SdC. My GPS track for that section was 12 miles and 1100 ft climb but a stage closer to SdC.

IMG_2774.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m flying into Vigo to meet a group of friends on the Camino Portuguese. I arrive around 17:00 and they will be in Porrino that evening. Next day they continue on to Redondela. How should I best meet up with the group?

I could easily take a cab direct from the airport to Porrino, but is there a better way that allows me to do some sightseeing and hiking the day I arrive? Could I poke around the Vigo port and then hike from there to Porrino? Or do I need to take a taxi to somewhere along the central route?
Hola

I think [SIZE=3]Corned Beef[/SIZE] is right in taking the taxi from the airport to O Porrino.
When I passed Vigo some 8-9 years ago the port was not a place I would want to walk back to.
It is a huge industrial port which, of course, is gated and walking along the fences were not a joy during August summer heat.
There might be areas that I would find very interesting, as a port can be, but I didnt pass them and most probably you would want a car to drive around to explore.

I'd say, get to O Porrino and find yourself a ncie spot and sit and watch the pilgrims come and go, or start your journal if you do one.
You could scout for a good place to eat for your reunion :)

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I kind of figured this might be the case. If I wanted to hike I suppose I could taxi to Tui and hike up to Porrino from there, but I worry that might be biting off too much if I’m not even starting my hike until around 18:00.

There are two parts to the port area. The first is the industrial section where there is shipbuilding and repairing which pilgrims will see first as they come in from the west. There is the second part with a shopping centre and berthing for cruise ships that visit which is very pleasant. See pic of cruise ship beside the centre

There are also formal gardens close by where the Xmas fairs are held. There is also a dotto train for those that wish a (cramped) tour of the centre. Vigo has some nice parts and good shops - as my family from that area tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_2772.JPG
    IMG_2772.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • P1000340.JPG
    P1000340.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • P1000341.JPG
    P1000341.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
Well geez, now that I realize the sun doesn’t set until after 10pm in May due to the time zone, I’m thinking I might just take taxi to Tui. I’d love to see that cathedral. I think I could pretty easily hoof it to Porrino before 10pm. Where do I find a super detailed map of this leg from from Tui to Porrino?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well geez, now that I realize the sun doesn’t set until after 10pm in May due to the time zone, I’m thinking I might just take taxi to Tui. I’d love to see that cathedral. I think I could pretty easily hoof it to Porrino before 10pm. Where do I find a super detailed map of this leg from from Tui to Porrino?
Have you looked on the Wild Pilgrim site?

From Tui

And getting to Tui

You do not need a map because the Central route you walk is excellently waymarked.
But If you start in Tui, inform yourself about the detour along a small river called Louro between Tui and O Porriño to avoid walking on a dull , bouring and 11 km long industrial estate. Not nice in the evening hours.
The reason is that on the industrial area are some restaurants and now and then they change the yellow waymarkers into their direction

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back