• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visit San Juan de la Pena 2 nights in albergue?

metri

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I just started the Aragones and would like to visit the monastery San Juan de la Pena and do not want to hike to and from there.
But when I take a bus from Jaca and back in the Evening I would need to stay a second night in the albergue, which is not possible as far as I know. How to solve this, could I stay in another albergue in the same town? Any other options? Thanks, Mervi

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are two monasteries up there. The "new" one dates to 1600 I think. Part parador or parador-like and part museum. From there a not so long walk to the old one built at the cliff overhang (not to be missed). There is a bus that employees use that you can take. The Jaca albergue probably can give you information on it. On the way back down you could ask to be let off in Santa Cruz and if that happens maybe you can get a peak at an 11th century Romanesque church. The walk to Santa Cilia is easier with the mountain behind you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HI @metri Hope you are enjoying the Aragones. Such a wonderful path. I have walked the Aragones twice but for various reasons have not yet visited the Monastery San Juan de la Pena.

We will be walking some stages of the Aragones in May, in the opposite direction, en route back to France. I know there are options to walk to San Juan, to stay at Santa Cilia etc, but at this stage I think we will visit for a day by bus to and from Jaca. So, just the other day I wrote to the albergue in Jaca and asked if it would be possible to stay two nights to make that visit. Mercedes replied that would be fine.

Buen continued camino @metri And sorry this information below is a bit late for your purposes but perhaps useful for others.

Last edited by a moderator:
And be sure to visit BOTH monasteries! While the old is fascinating, the new one has an excellent museum showcasing what monastic life was like as well as a glass floor to see the ruined foundations of some of the buildings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And be sure to visit BOTH monasteries! While the old is fascinating, the new one has an excellent museum showcasing what monastic life was like as well as a glass floor to see the ruined foundations of some of the buildings.
Yes I have read quite a bit about the monasteries and we will be visiting both.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I should add that there is a visitors center for the area in a separate building adjacent to the new monastery. This was closed when I was there in November so I forgot about it in my previous post. I just looked at Google Maps to see if it had information on the center like whether there was a snack shop but it didn't have any information. I remember lots of picnic tables in the nearby woods and so there be something in the summer season.

Doing that search I did notice Maps showing the hotel wing of the monastery had an icon identifying a cafeteria. This was definitely closed when I was there and since I have been reading that the hotel hasn't been open for a few years I still advise bringing up something for lunch.

Monasterio Nuevo de San Juan de la Peña

Monasterio Viejo de San Juan de la Peña

Last edited:
HI @metri Hope you are enjoying the Aragones. Such a wonderful path. I have walked the Aragones twice but for various reasons have not yet visited the Monastery San Juan de la Pena.

We will be walking some stages of the Aragones in May, in the opposite direction, en route back to France. I know there are options to walk to San Juan, to stay at Santa Cilia etc, but we have decided to to visit for a day by bus to and from Jaca. So, just the other day I wrote to the albergue in Jaca and asked if it would be possible to stay two nights to make that visit. Mercedes replied that would be fine.

Buen continued camino @metri And sorry this information below is a bit late for your purposes but perhaps useful for others.
We were offered a 2 night stay at the Albergue at Jaca. However, we chose to take the bus to San Juan de la Peña and then walked on to Santa Cilia.

It’s a pilgrimage, so walk it! Stay two nights at Santa Cilis or stay a night there and then at Santa Cruz or SJdLP parador. Give it the time it deserves.
@Vacajoe, do you know that the hotel in the nuevo ministerio has in fact re-opened? It has (or had, hopefully!) been closed for years after the management company left. The most recent news I can find (from 2022) says that they still haven’t done the repairs necessary before they can put it up for a bid again, but that was last year, so maybe this has happened.

This hotel has never been part of the parador chain, to my knowledge, but I think the building is one of nine owned by the government of Aragón that have been converted to hotels.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We were offered a 2 night stay at the Albergue at Jaca. However, we chose to take the bus to San Juan de la Peña and then walked on to Santa Cilia.
We will be walking back towards France so we may do similar with one night in each, but in reverse. Good to have the option of two nights in Jaca albergue - we’ll decide when the time comes 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
@Vacajoe, do you know that the hotel in the nuevo ministerio has in fact re-opened? It has (or had, hopefully!) been closed for years after the management company left. The most recent news I can find (from 2022) says that they still haven’t done the repairs necessary before they can put it up for a bid again, but that was last year, so maybe this has happened.

This hotel has never been part of the parador chain, to my knowledge, but I think the building is one of nine owned by the government of Aragón that have been converted to hotels.
I can state that in late March of 2023 that they were actively working on repairs/upgrades to the accommodation there. Given that it’s Spain, that could mean it will be opening later this month, later this year, or never… 😎

The only way to truly know is to check directly with them. (PS: we stayed there as their only guests in April 2018 during a snowstorm; it was very reminiscent of The Shining!)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back