• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vuelta 2014

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
I see the cycle race Vuelta 2014 ends in Santiago de Compostela September 14 and I believe at Obradoiro Square. There will be lots of excitement / activity / confusion in the square that day. Good luck and Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I, alas, am such a spoilsport, but it must be said. This seems to be a very good day to avoid arriving in Santiago. Some of my most stressful times in Santiago have fallen on days of celebrations. Feria del Ganado in May is quite colorful and happy, people in traditional dress, street concerts of traditional ensembles each with at least one Gaita galega (Galician bagpipes) and drums, dancers in the squares, the orchestra appears on Rua Villar all very lovely, the students of Santiago University also mark the week with processions and happenings, restaurants offering Galician menus– however – the throng of tourists packed into the Cathedral, busloads of schoolchildren, chartered tours, come rushing in at noon with their cameras flashing, cellphones cocked and relating the experience to those afar, all herded about by irate priests do not make for a peaceful and introspective Pilgrims mass-should you even manage to squeeze in. July 25th? Can be a very similar experience depending on the weather. Several hundred cyclists, bright team uniforms, helmets flashing, shoes click-clacking, bicycles all over the place can be exciting, colorful, and joyous should one be a cyclist, part of the team, or family – perhaps an interesting backdrop for a picture to remember your pilgrimage by but there are also several other options. Consider well.

Scruffy, I agree. I can't imagine just finishing a camino to have it end in chaos. Nothing against a grand tour, love to see one one day, but would prefer a serene ending to a Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have followed the Vuelta and the Tour de France both. In comparison, the Vuelta is more like a local town race than the TDF.

One Camino we timed it to be in Burgos the day the Vuelta finished there. It was no big deal, no trouble getting into the hotel or restaurants we wanted.

It will be a busy day for sure,but just for a day.

The final stage in SdC on 14th Sept is an individual time trial so the race will be in situ for a considerable time rather than just passing by. The route looks as if it crosses both the Frances and Ingles entries into the city and does finish in front of the Cathedral but the race is not scheduled to start until 17:25 and finish at 20:35. There will obviously be set up and break down time either side of that for the course marking and barriers.

With riders passing every couple of minutes or so it may prove difficult to cross the course and this would usually be Marshall controlled. It is difficult to see at the moment an obvious detour for the Camino Frances but you would hope that pilgrim traffic will be taken into account by the organisers/city authorities.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a reminder that the Vuelta is well into Galicia now, A Coruna yesterday, Pontevedra area today, tomorrow in Southern Galicia in and around the Potugues route, Saturday I believe is Invierno country and on through Sarria. Sunday sees the conclusion of the race in Santiago.

Itv4 and Eurosport are covering in the UK.

Mig

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back