• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking alone

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi Everyone,

I'm off on my Camino adventure in September 07 and was wondering how safe is it for a female to be walking alone.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards
Sonia
:D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mark,

Many thanks for this. I had an experience over the weekend which has now questioned how safe will I be on the Camino.

Any info I can gather is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again
Sonia
:D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sonia,

I walked alone in August 2005 and never felt the least bit uncomfortable. I met plenty of other women walking alone and never heard about any problems. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware of your surroundings, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Even in September, I'm sure there will be enough other pilgrims around that you won't have to walk alone if you don't feel comfortable.

I actually started to be more careful as I got closer to Santiago. In the early stages of the Camino Frances, I only saw locals and other pilgrims. At that point, I was perfectly happy to walk alone even before dawn. In Galicia, groups of tourists started to appear, with everything they bring with them. At that point, I stopped walking alone in the dark and often tried to stay within sight of other pilgrims even during the day (which isn't much of a challenge in Galicia in August :) ).

Don't worry too much. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hi Sonia, suggestion: walk like u drive: defensively, but not obsessively, so that u may enjoy ur Camino. Man here, safety-related issues while walking alone, along the Caminos, have surfaced in my mind, think it's normal, man or woman. Be aware. leave it at that. Being unable to hear most kinds of noise is another (security) reason why I have probs with listening to i-pods while walking on the Road. Enjoy ur Camino. xm 8)

Me too!

Hi Sonia,

I plan on walking the route myself in September. I have thought about my safety but I'm sure there will be many people like you and I walking 'alone' so I'm not too worried. I actually came onto this forum to see if there was anyone doing the route in September. It might be nice to know of a few people that will be around at the same time. I'm Irish and plan to start at Roncesvalles but nothing is set in stone yet.

Feel free to keep in touch!

Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always felt safe on the VDLP-in fact never gave it a second thought. If you are worried about walking before dawn-don't walk before dawn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When you walk through the storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
Walk on, through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

R. Rodgers and O. Hammerstein II

Xm - After reading your quote you posted last night, something extraordinary happened which I believe is the Universe trying to tell me I WILL be safe on the Camino.

Roughly around 10pm last night, I was surfing this forum and next to my laptop was my flat mates Liverpool FC mug. My eyes glanced towards the mug whilst waiting for a page to download, on the top of his mug there's a quote " You'll never walk alone". So you can imagine when I jumped on this forum this morning and read your quote, it gave me goose bumps. I have NO doubt in my mind now, these are signs from the Universe saying "You can do it and you will be safe along the way".... Thank you Xm for posting replies not just to my questions but countless others and sharing your experiences.. It's greatly appreciated.... :D

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your reply. It's comforting to know there will be other females walking the Camino alone as well... Go girls..... :D

I'm looking at starting my Camino on the 20th Sept from SJPP. Have you decided on dates?

I'm a 29 yo female living in sunny Sydney, Australia. This has been a 10 year dream and finally (if your into numerology, this year represents the year of completion) I thought why not...I feel as though I'm moving into a new phase of life, maybe because the big 3-0 is approaching... :wink:

Are you training for the Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A BIG thanks to Summer2005, Omar504 and Marktqm for your input. It's comforting to know I will be OK on the Camino and knowing there will always be other pilgrims along the way... :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back