• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Vasco in reverse?

Tar Heel

Time of past OR future Camino
El Norte May/June 2016
Portugues April/May 2018
Salvador and Primitivo September/October 2019
Walking?
Unsolicited advice, so feel free to ignore it.
But if so, you may want to stick with the Frances, but once you get to Burgos, you can take the Via de Bayona in reverse to Irun/Hendaye/or Bayonne - and direct train to Paris from there. You can also catch the Vasco leg of the same route in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Either is a stellar walk, and more direct way to Bayonne than the Frances. Another alternative is to walk to Pamplona on the Frances, then to Bayonne on the Baztanes. It's also a bit more direct, but not as interesting as the VdB/Vasco. No Roman tunnels through the mountains....
I am planning the walk the Camino Vasco from Santo Domingo in reverse. How visible did you find the waymarking from that perspective?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! Ive walked the full Vasco in the standard direction and a few stages in reverse - from Santo Domingo to Haro and Zegama to Beasian. It can be very tricky to see the arrows going in reverse! I would definitely suggest having some form of map to follow. I used Mapy.cz on this route. It's not Camino specific but the Vasco is already loaded on the map - a blue line - and your phone's GPS shows where you are in relation to it. I'm sure there's also lots of Wikiloc tracks that would work. I imagine some of the other Camino apps have the Vasco mapped but haven't tried them. Maybe others have?

Buen Camino!

I am planning the walk the Camino Vasco from Santo Domingo in reverse. How visible did you find the waymarking from that perspective?
I don't know, since I was going in the usual direction. But there was no shortage of waymarking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Why? It’s certainly doable with a decent mapping app and nobody’s going to mind that that’s what you’re doing. The little yellow arrows will point the other way and will be placed where the southbound can see them. You’ll likely get a crook in your neck from looking behind you and will risk a stumble or two while you do that but there are no rules on Camino. Go for it and let us know how it goes

thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back