• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Vasco

jcat

Time of past OR future Camino
2016-2023
I recently had a free week while on vacation in Spain and decided to walk part of the Camino Vasco from Irun to Vitoria-Gasteiz. I walked for 6 days starting at the end of November and stayed in private rooms along the way. The Vasco had some of the most beautiful landscapes I have seen on any Camino, had rain every day, had no other pilgrims, heard zero Buen Camino greetings, but met very kind locals.

Basically, I thought it was a terrific Camino option, but I would not repeat it in the winter. I experienced very slippery and muddy trails, and it lacked the Camino feel due to the lack of other pilgrims. But again, I would like to stress that it is a beautiful option, and I will give it another visit one of these summers.

Day 1 Irun to Hernani:

I technically didn’t start in Irun because I got a ride from San Sebastian and jumped out of the car at the first marker, leaving town. I got a very late start due to a delay with my luggage, so I pretty much put my head down and walked. It rained for most of the day, but it was mostly light rain for this day and for my entire Camino except for one day (San Adrian Tunnel Day), which I will cover later.

The day had plenty of ups and downs and varied walking surfaces from dirt, road, rocky, and concrete paths. Walked through beautiful farmland with several places to stop for a snack or coffee. I arrived in Hernani which was a lot bigger city than I was expecting, and stayed at Pension Zinkoenea. I had reached out to the Zinkoenea over WhatsApp a coupe days earlier and they got back to me within minutes. Found a Pizza place for dinner and called it a night.

hernani.jpeg

Day 2 Hernani to Tolosa:

Today’s trail was mostly a paved shared pedestrian and bicycle path. It was a pretty flat day, and I stopped in Aldain and Elbaarrena for coffee and some pintxos. A lot of kind locals were out for walks and bike rides. The trail is well-marked for the most part, but I was happy to have my Mapy.cz app in a few spots. Encountered a road closure due to repaving, but the workers were nice enough to let me walk through. The alternative would have been a lengthy detour.

In Tolosa I stayed at the Hotel Oria. Nice clean room with a popular restaurant downstairs. On the hotel front desk's recommendation, I had dinner at Cafe Fronton which I can highly recommend. Total for the day: 15.43 miles.

HT.jpeg
HT2.jpeg
HT3.jpeg

Day 3 Tolosa to Beasain

Leaving Tolosa I ran into another trail closure where the trail runs through a park immediately after leaving the city. With the help of my Mapy.cz app, I was able to find a workaround without adding too much extra distance. Almost all of today's walk was on pavement and much of it along a beautiful river. My notes for this day do not list anything substantial, but I did note that there were plenty of small towns along the way for coffee and snack breaks.

In Beasain I stayed at the Hotel Igartza. Another nice and clean room with a restaurant on-site. There was some sort of festival going on in Beasain, so the atmosphere was lively. I visited a few bars at the city center and dined on pinxtos for dinner and people watched as everyone was in a great mood. My room was far enough from the center of town for a quiet night of sleep.
Total 13.97 Miles.

TB.jpeg
TB1.jpegTB2.jpeg

Day 4 Beasain to Zegama

A lot of rain today and some very tough terrain. There was a section of the trail that contained a very steep up and down over large rocks forming a sort of stairway. Just before entering this section, a local out for his walk warned me that the rocks (first pic below) get very slippery when wet and that he avoids them in the winter. I can conform that he was very correct!. It was a very slick / slippery section and I was glad when it was over.. Some of the rocks were like stepping on ice, and towards the bottom, they were covered in mud and wet leaves.

On a lighter note, the walk into Zegama contained some of the most beautiful scenery I have encountered on my Caminos. I arrived on a Sunday and stayed at Ostatu Zegama. Ostatu Zegama seemed to be the only place open in town. They have a restaurant that serves both lunch and dinner, and was very popular with the locals. Another clean and quiet room for a good nights sleep.

Total: 10.98 miles

BZ.jpeg
BZ1.jpeg
BZ2.png

Day 5 to be continued

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 5 Zegama to Salvatierra / Agurain

This day was the reason I wanted to walk the Vasco and that was to walk through the San Adrain Tunnel. I waited until 9:00am to start so I could visit the local supermarket for some provisions as there is no services for the first 10 miles or so for the day. I picked up a coffee, some muffins, a candy bar and a sports drink.

It was a cold, windy, and rainy day but I was very excited to see the tunnel. It's a very peaceful walk and I did not see another person or vehicle from Zegama to the tunnel. It was just me, the cows, some sheep and horses along the way. Ran into a pretty good wind storm before the tunnel where I took shelter against the biggest tree I could find and hoped that none of the other would come down. The serious wind lasted about 5 minutes and then I was off again.

The walk into San Adrian Tunnel is very impressive. I hung out for a bit and enjoyed my sports drink and can bar inside the tunnel. Then it was down the old Roman road which also contained some very slippery parts. I took a quick break in Zalduondo but continued on as I could see some very dark clouds coming up behind me. Leaving Zalduondo you have two trail options. One being 5.9km to Salvatierra while the other being 6.3km. I opted for the shorter option to beat the storm, but I didn't make it. The shorter route is along a 2 lane road and I was soon getting battered with rain, wind, and even hail. I got soaked anyway and I'me sure the slightly longer route would have been more scenic than just walking along the road.

In Salvatierra /Agurain I stayed at the Casa Rural Zadorra Extea, Nice room and facilities, but no restaurant on site and according to the owner, no restaurants in town open until 9pm. I took a 15 minute walk to a supermarket and bought food for my late lunch and dinner. I did not see any open cafes or bars along the walk. The owner was nice enough the lend me a hair dryer to help dry my waterproof Hokas.
Total: 15.27 miles 3141 feet of elevation gain

ZS.jpeg
ZS1.jpeg
ZS2.jpeg
ZS3.jpeg
ZS4.png

Day 6 Salvatierra to Vitoria / Gasteiz

A very flat day with a mix or terrain to walk on. Had a light steady rain for the entire day but nothing like the day before. I got an early start and there was not much that was memorable about this day until I reached Vitoria-Gasteiz. I was very impressed with the city and as planned spent 2 days and nights there. Visited 4 museums during those 2 days (all free) and ate and drank at several restaurants, cafes and bars.
Total 17.33 miles

v4.jpeg
v1.jpeg
v2.jpeg
v.jpeg

Ostatu Zegama seemed to be the only place open in town.

Thanks for your report, this is definitely a beautiful camino!

Gronze says the albergue is open year-round, was that not the case for you? Everyone says it’s lovely, but it wasn’t yet open when I walked in 2019.

We stayed in Ostatu Zegama and had a wonderful meal there. It was a very fun experience, because the restaurant had just opened and the chef’s mom had brought a big bunch of her friends to see her son’s new business and we really got the royal treatment!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Gronze says the albergue is open year-round, was that not the case for you? Everyone says it’s lovely, but it wasn’t yet open when I walked in 2019.

We stayed in Ostatu Zegama and had a wonderful meal there. It was a very fun experience, because the restaurant had just opened and the chef’s mom had brought a big bunch of her friends to see her son’s new business and we really got the royal treatment!

Oh, the albergue could have been open, I meant nothing else open for the locals. Seemed like the entire town was hanging out at Ostatu Zegama and I did not see anything else open in town, but I did not look for the albergue. My meal at the Ostatu was wonderful also!

The Vasco /Via Bayona is definitely a quieter route - I did that first half in June, but the second half in January from Vitoria Gasteiz to Burgos. But strangely I met other pilgrims in the winter.
Enjoyed reading your account!

Thanks @jcat for sharing your journey. I've great memories of my mini-Vasco last year.

The photo of the slippy stones evoked a not-so happy memory. They were just as hazardous in June and despite being careful, I fell quite heavily. Although it was nice to be off-road. I don't think I'd take that option again. I felt quite alone as I sat and self-triaged 😊

Am I right in thinking that this is just before Idiazabal?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks @jcat for sharing your journey. I've great memories of my mini-Vasco last year.

The photo of the slippy stones evoked a not-so happy memory. They were just as hazardous in June and despite being careful, I fell quite heavily. Although it was nice to be off-road. I don't think I'd take that option again. I felt quite alone as I sat and self-triaged 😊

Am I right in thinking that this is just before Idiazabal?
Yes, that is exactly where it is. I had a few falls in that section, which is more falls than I have had in my entire prior 30 years of hiking:). I was a muddy mess when I finally got to pavement, but no injuries. Sorry for your fall, in my research I hadn't heard anyone else mention this section.

Sorry for your fall, in my research I hadn't heard anyone else mention this section.
Perhaps that's because many pilgrims take the shorter road-route from Besain to Zegama. It's the one shown on Gronze.

Such a shame! Even with the fall, this was one of my favourite Camino days. I also added the delightful detour to Zerain.

I also walked last year but it was October. It was open. If memory serves me I went to the bar for the keys. I know the OP said he stayed in private rooms, but for those thinking of walking there are albergues to stay in that I think are open all year. I was pretty much alone the whole camino. It is beautiful for sure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps that's because many pilgrims take the shorter road-route from Besain to Zegama. It's the one shown on Gronze.

Such a shame! Even with the fall, this was one of my favourite Camino days. I also added the delightful detour to Zerain.
Gronze has updated fairly recently to use the variant route via Olaberria rather than the valley route directly to Segura.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back