• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Vasco

Lisa2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the walk this Autumn 2018
I only recently heard about the route called Camino Vasco which starts in Irun. I was thinking about trying it by myself and finishing in Burgos, probably mid September. Does anyone know if this route attracts many pilgrims or would it be the kind of route that you'd end up walking alone for majority? Also wondering if the route is well marked like the Frances so easy to find your way? and if the route has good options for pilgrim accommodation? Any information anyone has about this route would be really helpful. Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Lisa - I have walked the Via Bayona/Vasco Interior to Burgos. It was well marked but it is not coming down with pilgrims- and you might get lucky and meet another pilgrim, or find that they are others a day ahead or behind.
As for accomodation there are a good number of albergues- though one or two spots you may need to stay in a pension- Gronze is a good source of information. Note that access to the albergues may need in some cases advance notice to gain access, others will need you to go to local police or tourist office to get key, others you can ring when you arrive at the albergue

It's worth reading some of the past stories of pilgrims on this section of the route - there are a few live from the camino pinned at the top of the Vasco forum threads.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Vasco this past October. Very few pilgrims, but a good walk. It was well-marked in most places, but I always use GPX routes on my phone (particularly since I walked before dawn due to the intense heat that Spain was experiencing).

If you have time and want to read, I believe the The Great Westward Walk: From the Front Door begins with the Vasco. Great book on pilgrimage translated by Rebekah Scott. Looks like it is free to read on Kindle Unlimited. It might not help you with the route, but good to get you into the pilgrim spirit.

I only recently heard about the route called Camino Vasco which starts in Irun. I was thinking about trying it by myself and finishing in Burgos, probably mid September. Does anyone know if this route attracts many pilgrims or would it be the kind of route that you'd end up walking alone for majority? Also wondering if the route is well marked like the Frances so easy to find your way? and if the route has good options for pilgrim accommodation? Any information anyone has about this route would be really helpful. Thank you!

I walked the Vasco in 2019 and part of it again in 2023. I never met another pilgrim! *Edit: a bunch of them in a few albergues, yes, but never en route.* There will be day hikers though in areas with hiking trails and/our touristy areas, like the stage that passes through the tunnel San Adrián where I met a lot of people walking and biking.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked camino vasco in 2018. It was great especially Zegama and Tunnel st.Adrian and sighteeing in Vitoria. We ( my boyfriend and I) met only one pilgrim on the way. Albergues were decent.

I did it in reverse from sa to Domingo de la Cazada on the Frances in November 20/3.

I saw very few other pilgrims. What I will remember forever is how kind and friendly the Basque people are and attending Chorch ceremonies totally in Euskera.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Beloved and I walked the Vasco in 2017, and via Haro. We had a lovely time of it. Needed the Guardia a couple of times to track down key-holders who'd gone walk-about but never failed to find a bed, food or any other necessity.

The Albergue at Santiagomendi was a challenge but once we did get through the door it was delightful. Andoain was fun; Beasain was an absolute delight. The Albergue in a school gymnasium at Zegama was too much of a challenge, we ended up in Pensión Zegama where they sympathised. The new Albergue looks amazing but I've no experience. I can't remember where we next broke that trip but I do remember the Albergue de la Catedral in Vittoria. When I 'phoned the amigo who was listed as key-holder on a notice on the door he said "what are you doing so early? Go for food. Come back later!" Excellent advice I thought and neither of us were feeling grumpy later...

@VNwalking and I walked it in May 2019 and we only met one other pilgrim from Barcelona and a pilgrim from New Zealand ( but we did not see him after two days). Then in the albergue in Salvatierra we met a French pilgrim who was finding his way back home.
Ah yes a couple on bikes we met on the first day.

So I guess we had a busy season ;).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Because it was difficult to access... or because it was in a bad state?? :eek:
Nah, access was easy. The nice lady in the tourismo gave us clear directions and a set of keys. But discovering that the Albergue at that time was a set of bunkbeds arranged around the school gym. That someone was storing his motorbikes in the same space. That the toilets & showers were part of the school premises, hence the bunch of keys, and I've got the budget we moved to the Pension. Where the very same nice young lady checked us in and assured me that she would return the Albergue keys to wherever...

I'll say again the new place looks amazing and can bear no comparison with my adventures of 6/7 years ago

Nah, access was easy. The nice lady in the tourismo gave us clear directions and a set of keys. But discovering that the Albergue at that time was a set of bunkbeds arranged around the school gym. That someone was storing his motorbikes in the same space. That the toilets & showers were part of the school premises, hence the bunch of keys, and I've got the budget we moved to the Pension. Where the very same nice young lady checked us in and assured me that she would return the Albergue keys to wherever...

I'll say again the new place looks amazing and can bear no comparison with my adventures of 6/7 years ago

Our nice friend from Barcelona stayed at the polideportivo and did not have a good night seeing they were using the place till late for a game of basketball.
But he and the two of us had a decent lunch at the pension ( was my birthdaydinner ).
The new albergue already is quite famous in the world of architecture.
See the pictures here on Gronze.

Last edited:
I just walked Irun to Vitoria-Gasteiz Dec 2023. A great walk, but super muddy and slick in the winter. I did not see any other pilgrims, and a local walker told me he hadn't seen one in over a month. I will post a recap of my 6 days soon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting. I walked May/June 9 years ago. The number of pilgrims grew as the journey went on - up to about 8 I think after Gasteiz. Maybe half were Basque people who'd walked from their home, joined the Vasco as a kind of slip road onto the main highway of the Frances, on their way to Santiago. It's sad to think that numbers might be actually going down.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nadine Walks has YouTube videos on the Vasco:
Thanks @Purple Backpack ! I was just coming here to share the videos, in case that helps. The Vasco was such a great experience... though in late June 2022 I didn't encounter any other pilgrims. But great albergues and a beautiful walk! For the most part it was very well way-marked, and I never got off track.

I only walked the very end of it into Burgos after a detour from Villafranca Montes de Oca, in 2021, but I bused along the route from Burgos to Irun and it looks very beautiful indeed.

I've nothing at all to add to what others have said about walking it, it was still overly post-lockdown and weird on even that short section (though the people at that end of it are very pleasant and friendly ; and you will eat well) -- but I will point out that the original route from Paris went down that way, so after Bordeaux it headed to the coastal Landes at Mimizan or somewhere, then followed the coastal route > Bayonne > Biarritz > Irun > etc.

Not to suggest that you could use the historic starting point of it in Paris as you clearly don't have enough time to do so -- but Bordeaux could be a good starting point if you wanted to make it that little much longer.

The Spanish section of it does start in Irun, but that is just a small border town, and the more significant portion of that particular Camino route historically is Bordeaux > Burgos.

Does anyone know if this route attracts many pilgrims or would it be the kind of route that you'd end up walking alone for majority?
The latter.
Also wondering if the route is well marked like the Frances so easy to find your way?
In 2019 it was quite well marked, by and large.

and if the route has good options for pilgrim accommodation?
Reasonably, at this point, but not everywhere, especiallyif you want to walk shiort stages. Do check Gronze for current options.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back