• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Feb 12/18

Bill Anthony

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances( feb/march 2018)
Hello all, my name is Bill and will be walking the Camino Frances. I will be arriving in southern France Feb 11/18 and getting to SJPP Feb 12 or 13th, flying out of Porto March 27, after getting to Santiago de Compostela. All else is open, very exciting to travel this way and a bit daunting. The trip is a birthday present for myself having turned 55 a couple weeks before hand. While on the Way not planning to use the form but will be asking questions before and thankful for the depth and breadth knowledge. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome,, I'm new myself and finding the forum a very friendly supportive environment. A word of advice: don't overplan. Leave room to change you mind, be awed by the present and want to pause a while. Don't let an agenda get in the way of your journey. Wishing you an awesome Camino.

The trip is a birthday present for myself having turned 55 a couple weeks before hand. [/QUOTE]

Today, is my twin cousin's 55TH b'day. Mine was several moths back. Join the speed limit. In the USA, 55 is often the speed limit on freeways, expressways.
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The trip is a birthday present for myself having turned 55 a couple weeks before hand.

Today, is my twin cousin's 55TH b'day. Mine was several moths back. Join the speed limit. In the USA, 55 is often the speed limit on freeways, expressways.
Buen camino![/QUOTE]
Fun way to look at it!

What a great present! Buen camino, peregrino.

Welcome,, I'm new myself and finding the forum a very friendly supportive environment. A word of advice: don't overplan. Leave room to change you mind, be awed by the present and want to pause a while. Don't let an agenda get in the way of your journey. Wishing you an awesome Camino.
I hope to be able to be to use this advise.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The trip is a birthday present for myself having turned 55 a couple weeks before hand.

Buen camino![/QUOTE]

In Canada 55 makes you a junior senior eligible for many store discounts LOL

Hello all, my name is Bill and will be walking the Camino Frances. I will be arriving in southern France Feb 11/18 and getting to SJPP Feb 12 or 13th, flying out of Porto March 27, after getting to Santiago de Compostela. All else is open, very exciting to travel this way and a bit daunting. The trip is a birthday present for myself having turned 55 a couple weeks before hand. While on the Way not planning to use the form but will be asking questions before and thankful for the depth and breadth knowledge. Buen Camino

Hi and welcome. I am also very new here. I find this site very enjoyable to read. I think the Camino frances is the best to be your first camino. The route is very well prepared, I don't think you need to plan anything, just go! Buen Camino!

Hi Bill, I'm thinking of walking around the same time. It's good to know that I wont be the only one walking at that time :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I have done it! Booked! My first winter Camino! Not sure of the exact start date, though I'd say I would most likely see you along the way :)

I hope to start in February 2018 - probably earlier than you however. Aiming for maybe around the 1st. Celebrating my bday along the way as well if all goes as planned.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope to start in February 2018 - probably earlier than you however. Aiming for maybe around the 1st. Celebrating my bday along the way as well if all goes as planned.

Hoping all goes well, hoping the weather is gentle for you and might run into each other. Ultreia

Hoping all goes well, hoping the weather is gentle for you and might run into each other. Ultreia
Thanks Bill! Will you take the train to SJDP? Any plans to start from Pamplona if the weather isn’t cooperating? I think I will have to be a bit flexible.

Thanks Bill! Will you take the train to SJDP? Any plans to start from Pamplona if the weather isn’t cooperating? I think I will have to be a bit flexible.

feb 11/18 overnight in Bayonne, SJPP Monday, it all depends on the weather but might/planning to walk with Chaya that day to Valcarlos. My flight leaves Porto March 27, that is all I know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope to start in February 2018 - probably earlier than you, however. Aiming for maybe around the 1st. Celebrating my bday along the way as well if all goes as planned.
Hi @Cndnwalker
I'm overnighting in SJPP on the 11 Feb and hopefully (weather allowing) walking to Valcarlos on 12 Feb, hopefully, @Bill Anthony will arrive on the 12 and will be walking too (It seems our Camino family could be forming pre-Camino). I am not anticipating bad weather (and having to walk from Pamplona) as I am trusting in the Camino to provide good walking conditions :)
You never know @Cndnwalker , we might just meet up while on the Camino :)

Funny - I have had some unexpected change of plans with a friend I was supposed to be visiting after and will now go see before the walk. So it looks like I may be within 1 or 2 days of you ... in any event I would like to keep in touch because this sounds like a bit of a blessing. Wouldn’t mind some company along the way even just at night. How many Kms are you planning per day?

Hi @Cndnwalker
I'm overnighting in SJPP on the 11 Feb and hopefully (weather allowing) walking to Valcarlos on 12 Feb, hopefully, @Bill Anthony will arrive on the 12 and will be walking too (It seems our Camino family could be forming pre-Camino). I am not anticipating bad weather (and having to walk from Pamplona) as I am trusting in the Camino to provide good walking conditions :)
You never know @Cndnwalker , we might just meet up while on the Camino :)

Also - where do you plan to overnight in SJPP in case we do arrive at the same time? I would be coming from Paris so need to look into train.

Funny - I have had some unexpected change of plans with a friend I was supposed to be visiting after and will now go see before the walk. So it looks like I may be within 1 or 2 days of you ... in any event I would like to keep in touch because this sounds like a bit of a blessing. Wouldn’t mind some company along the way even just at night. How many Kms are you planning per day?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Also - where do you plan to overnight in SJPP in case we do arrive at the same time? I would be coming from Paris so need to look into train.
I will be catching a train from Bordeaux to Bayonne to St Jean on 11 Feb. I booked my train online.
Yes, I will be staying overnight in St Jean and the plan is to walk to Valcarlos on 12 Feb.
It would be great to meet you :)

Hi Bill, I'm thinking of walking around the same time. It's good to know that I wont be the only one walking at that time :)

Hi Bill, I will be starting around the 16th to 18th of February. Have you been booking your accommodation in advance?

Hi Bill, I will be starting around the 16th to 18th of February. Have you been booking your accommodation in advance?

Hi Sanfordkatie
The only plan so far is Feb/12 meeting Chaya and walking with her to Valcarlos. This is my 1st walk, don't know what to expect. At one point I had several walk schedules made up of distances and places to stay, that all went to the round filing cabinet. The red and yellow books will be carried and some apps on the phone, i hope this will allow me to plan as I go. Once I get the feel of the way, I might book the day before. Do you find more comfortable to have it planned out ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Sanfordkatie
The only plan so far is Feb/12 meeting Chaya and walking with her to Valcarlos. This is my 1st walk, don't know what to expect. At one point I had several walk schedules made up of distances and places to stay, that all went to the round filing cabinet. The red and yellow books will be carried and some apps on the phone, i hope this will allow me to plan as I go. Once I get the feel of the way, I might book the day before. Do you find more comfortable to have it planned out ?
The way that you have it "planned" with no real plan sounds perfect!

Hi Sanfordkatie

Hi Bill, as trecile said above, I think the flexible planning is good. The book I have recommends going to a website called www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno to see what albergues are open at this time of year. - This is also my first time doing the trek so I have as much understanding as you.
Cheers - Katie

Hi Bill, as trecile said above, I think the flexible planning is good.

I have that site bookmarked on my phone. Gronze.es has rough maps of the stages, more importantly has user reviews of places to stay, great site. Hope your planning is allowing you to feel comfortable. Where are joining the Way?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back