• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Leon in September

Josie

G'day! I'm from Brisbane, Australia, and my husband & I are setting off from Leon on the 12th of September. We’ve got about 14 days to complete the hike, and I've read bits & pieces that if that is the case it might be worth avoiding the stretch from Leon to Astorga as it runs next to a highway, and commence in Astorga instead, what is the view here? I’m only concerned that the next leg of the journey looks to be uphill and the preparation of the flat might be a smart option, any suggestions?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Josie, my partner and I are walking from Leon to Santiago next spring, hopefully in 14 days. We would be interested to find out how you get go.

Buen Camino
Shell

Hi Josie,

As you said, the Camino between Leon ans Astorga flollows a highway much of te time and isn't overly exciting. But the section between Hospital de Orbigo and Atorga was very pretty and I enjoyed this section. As you also said this easier walking for the first day or two may be useful to get into the swing of things, but be sure to do plenty of long walks in Brissy before you go. Also make sure you allow some time in Leon, a fascinating city with plenty to see before you head off.

This year I am starting my Camino in Lourdes in France and expect to be passing through Leon only couple days after you. I will look out for you and your husband - there aren't too many Aussies walking, but usually pretty easy to spot!

Buen Camino, Josie

James

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Aussie James

Thanks for your reply, I was hoping to see Hospital de Orbigo, might even catch a bus and commence there. I have a silly question for you though, I won't be able to stay in the pilgrim hostel or get a stamp on my passport in the town I start in because I'd be catching the bus there, right?

Well you never know I'll have to keep an ear out for the Aussie accent! Hope you enjoy your trip James.

Hola Josie,

From memory, you probably won't be able to stay in the pilgrim refugio in Hospital de Orbigo but there are other hostels to stay in , for a price of course. Just looking through my guide book, they name one as "Hostal Kanguro Australiano"! (not a very good recommendation though).
You should be able to get a sello (stamp) in your credential though.

Good luck,
James

Hospital de Orbigo

I don't see why you can't stay in a refuge on your first day? I did when we started at Roncesvalles and people do when they start in Pamplona or Sarria or any other starting place. You are a peregrino from the day you start.
You can get a sello in the place you start from. You can get sellos from refuges, cafe-bars, churches, tourim offices - just about anywhere - so do get one there.
The other places to stay are the Municipal campsite in the woods.
There is also a new albergue San Miguel just beyond the parish refuge.
Have a wonderful journey!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I second or is that third the idea of starting in Hospital de Orbigo. It is an interesting place to see and the walk into Astorga is good and will set you up for the hills, though the day to Rabanal is a very easy gradient.

I agree with Sillydoll that in theory you should be able to start and get accommodation at the Refugo as well as the stamp, but it may be best not to as you could start off on the wrong foot with people that you may be walking with for the next two weeks.

Buen Camino
William

Hi, Josie!

There are actually two alternative routes from Leon to Hospital de Obrigo. From Virgen del Camino some kilometres after Leon one can choose either to follow the route along the main highway via Villadangos del Paramo or a country road via Villar de Mazarife.

The Villar-option takes you to the left from the road and over the undulating hills and fields. There is a slightly run down refugio in Villar de Mazarife about half way to Hospital d O. This route is much more beautifull and peacefull.

My knowledge of the alternative route dates back a few years, so it would be nice, if someone with more recent experience could comment on this.

Buen Camiño!

Josie said:
G'day! I'm from Brisbane, Australia, and my husband & I are setting off from Leon on the 12th of September. We’ve got about 14 days to complete the hike, and I've read bits & pieces that if that is the case it might be worth avoiding the stretch from Leon to Astorga as it runs next to a highway, and commence in Astorga instead, what is the view here? I’m only concerned that the next leg of the journey looks to be uphill and the preparation of the flat might be a smart option, any suggestions?

It would be an awfully tight schedule to complete the walk from Leon in 14 days; it can be done, you would have to be a very fast walker and it would leave you no time in Santiago.
By the by the walkers route from Virgen del Camino to hospital Orbigo and then on to Astorga is completely away from the highway.
The route from Astorga to Molinaseca has the highest point on the whole Camino Francis approx 1500 meters it is then another day to the climb to O'Cebeiro which in my opinion is the hardest climb on the Camino so I don't see where you are gaining any "flat".
You will also loose a day geting from Leon to Astorga so not much gain, you might consider Ponferrada as a starting point.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Petteri Kauppinen said:
Hi, Josie!

My knowledge of the alternative route dates back a few years, so it would be nice, if someone with more recent experience could comment on this.

Buen Camiño!

Petteri,

correct info about the route: I liked the Villar-option.
As I recall there's a good refugio when you enter Villar at the right but I slept (in 2005) in a private-refugio some hundred meters further and than you go to the left: don't know the name anymore. Upstairs there were 4 rooms with 4 beds with two bathrooms...yes with a bath! Downstairs there was a cafe where you could get a pelgrims-menu.

Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back