Walking from Tønsberg? | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Walking from Tønsberg?

Discussion in 'St Olav´s Way to Trondheim' started by HeidiL, Mar 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HeidiL

HeidiL Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
    I have never walked much in Norway, though I live here. This year, life has conspired to keep me away from Spain over Easter (my preferred walking time), and I have decided to sample a Norwegian pilgrim path, the one to/from Tønsberg.

If the weather report ever suggests in the next couple of weeks that we may have three fairly good days in a row, I'm grabbing my husband and setting off to walk from Tønsberg to Horten Vandrerhjem (17 km), from Horten to Aannestad Motel (27 km) and on towards Drammen (23 km; several hotels or the local train home).
    If the weather stays acceptable, we may walk to Asker (21 km) to stay with family members and on to Oslo (23 km) to sleep at home.

Has anyone here walked this route? The Luthen handbook for this route is sold out, but I've reserved the 2003 version at the library (just arrived) and made print-outs of the www.pilegrim.no maps, plus I have GPS...

2. lovingkindness

lovingkindness Veteran Member

Hello, HeidiL. Yes, I have walked this route though in the opposite direction. Things may have changed since I went by in autumn 2010. May I suggest that you contact Eivind Luthen at the Pilegrimsfellesskapet St. Jakob and ask for an update on the trail. He's sure to reply.

Here's a link to my journey. Scroll down to day 38-53 for Oslo to Tonsberg. The photo captions have disappeared...it must have been the trolls...ps excuse the odd frame of mind. Long distance walking can addle the brain...
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trondheim-nidaros-to-santiago-de-compostela.9259/

Cheers
    Lovingkindness

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. HeidiL

HeidiL Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
    I believe Evind is out walking, but I'm sure he'll answer his e-mail eventually.

Thank you for directing me to your thread - delightful reading!

4. nidarosa

nidarosa Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Yes please!
    Hi, I tried to walk the Tønsberg-Oslo part in preparation for the Oslo-Trondheim leg, and we used the guidebook. It was out of date then and I don't know if there is a new or more recent version. There were times and places when signs were missing, stickers were misleading due to an 'update' of the trail, and the path across the golf course (!) to get to one of the landmark churches on the way is now not accessible - there is a field there with lots of signs saying you are not allowed to walk across it. We gave up near Drammen and got the train back to Oslo. If you have more recent info, from websites etc, and GPS, you will be fine but I can't recommend that guidebook. We got lost a few times, ended up on tarmac a lot of the time and also found it difficult to camp as there are very few places where it is allowed or practical. Staying in motels, hotels etc is a better plan. Let us know what it is like now!

HeidiL and lovingkindness like this.
  5. lovingkindness

lovingkindness Veteran Member

You're welcome.